Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1.    #81  
    Well, it seems like the Wanda may shipping pretty soon:

Web Store Taking Pre-orders for iPAQ h6000

This is a tri-wirless device supporting GSM/GPRS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth and it runs WM03. Furthermore the dimensions are pretty nice...of course no thumbboard. I wonder how long PalmOne can wait before they update the Treo600?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Interesting looking (reference design anyway...)

Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Well, it seems like the Wanda may shipping pretty soon:

Web Store Taking Pre-orders for iPAQ h6000

This is a tri-wirless device supporting GSM/GPRS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth and it runs WM03. Furthermore the dimensions are pretty nice...of course no thumbboard. I wonder how long PalmOne can wait before they update the Treo600?
  3. gry
    If you're looking at that, check out the O2 XDA II.
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/hardwar.../specs/25.html

I think it's more promising [and currently available] than the iPAQ 6000.
    Thats a bit funkier looking.
    Originally posted by skidoo
    I'll reply for him: There's an on-screen keyboard! Bwahahahahahahaha! Yeah, umm, nearly the same thing right?? Bwahahahahaha!

Originally posted by ewokninja
    I'm fairly certain that the Treo meets the minimum requirements for the SDIO spec. The question now, is how far above that should they have reasonably expected to go? Power is a very big deal in small devices like this. It's not quite as simple as installing the "super high level power" slot.

Handspring had to make some design decisions as to the maximum power output of the slot way before the Sandisk card came out and even if they were aware that such a card was coming out, It's entirely possibly that they didn't know at *that* time that the card would draw as much power as it is now.
    I'm pretty sure that the Wanda or other phones don't really fit this topic.

I think it's pretty well known that wi-fi requires a fair amount of power. Thus if they are to say things like the Treo will support wi-fi if someone makes it, leads me to believe that it should have a fairly high power SDIO slot.

I realize that power is a big deal, but there should be a way to detect how much the SDIO card needs and plan accordingly. For instance, I have standard plugs throughout my house. I can plug in a night light for a whole month and get an electric bill for just a couple of cents, while if I plug in an air conditioner in, it's going to cost several times more. How tough would it be to put in something that would support the A/C max power consumption case (i.e. wi-fi), while still being energy effiecient in the case of night light (i.e. a memory card)?

The card has been out for awhile now, and if they had to make the decisions way back then (which is probably true), why would they still mention the SanDisk one specifically on their website? Why would they mention it when the Treo came out? Why not just stick with the response that they give with the Palm Bluetooth card, which is basically that it doesn't work and there are no current plans to make it work. If Handspring does know that they didn't put enough power into the SDIO slot to run SanDisk's wi-fi, they are pretty much lying to us by saying that "Note: There are currently no 802.11 SD cards available although we expect one to become available during 2003 from SanDisk. Please contact SanDisk for more information."

My point about it running only some SDIO cards I guess is much like a laptop that might only some compact flash cards. As long as it fits and has drivers, you expect it to work. Maybe SDIO should have something called High Powered SDIO for cards that require extra power, and that way, I could say, well the Treo only has a SDIO and not the High Powered SDIO slot needed to run that wi-fi card.
    I really appreciate the posts of other smartphones which *do* offer WiFi, even potentially (through SDIO). That lets me make choices about the function that I want (Smartphone which can interoperate with my network, which is WiFi). It also gives necessary perspective to the speculation about what the Treo600 "SDIO" slot might be capable of, and what the announced WiFi cards might require. Treo is a product *line*, and buying into it costs less in dollars than in "training" time, committing to the Treo way of doing things probably for several years (and therefore new phones). I appreciate the comparison of the other phones that might actually *do* WiFi in 2004Q1, to understand the possiblility that the Treo600 *won't*.
    All I keep hearing from the non-carers in this forum is my pda is what I use to pda, and I got my laptop to do blah-blah-blah, and I got my expensive Treo 600 to make phone calls.

The reason why some of us do and should care about this is that those of us who have envisionment would like to have only one device strapped to our belt that can do it all, quickly, cheaply and efficiently.

Nobody likes to lug even a lightweight laptop (not so light with all the gadgets you connect to them in your case) around everywhere, all the time. And... the alternative to only carry the Treo 600, vice a cellphone, pda blackberry or two-way and a laptop just makes sense. When an unplanned system down occurs on your LAN/WAN/WLAN enabled enterprise and you are contacted while on a smokebreak or at your campus cafeteria, how fast do you want your Treo 600 to come to the rescue. Or do you carry All your gadgets around everywhere looking like a total geek?
    Originally posted by Techsense
    All I keep hearing from the non-carers in this forum is my pda is what I use to pda, and I got my laptop to do blah-blah-blah, and I got my expensive Treo 600 to make phone calls.

The reason why some of us do and should care about this is that those of us who have envisionment would like to have only one device strapped to our belt that can do it all, quickly, cheaply and efficiently.

Nobody likes to lug even a lightweight laptop (not so light with all the gadgets you connect to them in your case) around everywhere, all the time. And... the alternative to only carry the Treo 600, vice a cellphone, pda blackberry or two-way and a laptop just makes sense. When an unplanned system down occurs on your LAN/WAN/WLAN enabled enterprise and you are contacted while on a smokebreak or at your campus cafeteria, how fast do you want your Treo 600 to come to the rescue. Or do you carry All your gadgets around everywhere looking like a total geek?
    No, the total geeks already figured out to Mergic VPN in, use PalmVNC or similar program, and fix it right there.

I'm a Cingular user, which means I get raked over the coals when I turn on GPRS. That's fine by me though because I made that choice. The true geeks went to Sprint or TMo for their unlimiteds. I will remain the wannabe .

Anyway, wifi was one of the things I was hoping to be able to use the Treo for. Of all the things I find annoying on the Treo, it's the SDIO port. Lets put down the wifi thing for a minute, what about just memory cards that fit without having to be filed down with a dremel?

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    BUMP!! - Any updates on the Wireless Cards for the Treo 600?
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/312-1.htm

wouldn't really call it an update though... it's still the same news. there's random reports around the board from people who emailed C-Guys for info, I think I recall the answers being rather vague.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345