1.    #1  
    I know there have been several related posts, but I have a specific question I would like to answer. I can get to my company e-mail through Outlook Web Access on my Treo 600. Does anyone know of a way to synchronize with my inbox while on OWA, and then be able to view the e-mail when not connected to OWA? If that works, then I would like to be able to reply to the messages, connect to OWA, synchronize, and send my messages. Does anyone know if this is possible.

Secondly, at some point, my company is going to install wireless routers in our building, so while in a meeting we should be able to view our mail, respond, etc. Of course this will work with Windows Pocket PC devices, but with a wireless SD card, appropriate software, should this also be possible on the Treo 600?
    I think your perception of the technology at work here is somewhat garbled. Lets start with the web access. Although the web access provides a portal to your Outlook, it will not allow you to sync. It is merely a convenience. Besides, its next to impossible to navigate on a tiny screen. There are a couple options to getting your mail depending both on your needs and your ability to access your company intranet.

First, the access problem. In order to access your internal resources you are going to need to be able to access the intranet. Since there are no wireless SD cards currently available this will mean connecting from across the internet. Listed in order of desirability, here are your choices:
    1) Full access to all internal resources. Since you almost certainly have a firewall you need to a) use a Palm VPN client to tunnel in or b) dial in via the wireless modem.
    2) Access to a POP mail server. Companies often have POP/SMTP servers exposed to the internet. This will not give you real time access though since it is not a push technology. Instead, you can check your mail periodically.
    3) Remote hotsync. In order to do this you need an internet IP address and inbound ports 14237 and 14238 open. If you don't have access to your firewall or privilages to modify this then this isn't an option.

Second, the mail problem itself.
    1) Ideally you would be able to access your mail in real time. This means when you recieve email you get an instant notification it has arrived (just like in Outlook). Assuming you use an exchange server at work, this requires an IMAP client. For more on IMAP clients, see other threads. Its a popular subject.
    2) If you are going to settle for a POP client you will need to determine if the mail server you are going to use is available from the internet. If it is not, you will need to tunnel in using VPN to access it. The Treo 600 mail client from the Handspring support site will suffice unless you require additional functionality. Snapper Mail is the typical upgrade but it costs money. Treo mail will check your email in the background automatically.
    3) If you have to go by remote hotsync, which I don't recommend, you will need a mail client that can synchronize with your desktop mail. I don't know if Snapper does this but if it does, it is the best choice. If you want a free one you can download Eudora. Eudora does POP mail as well but will not check automatically. Every time you want to check your mail you will need to perform a remote hotsync.

I hope all that helped.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you. As you can probably tell, I am a neophyte when it comes to this technical e-mail stuff. We do use Outlook and we are very secure, firewalls, etc. As I said, I can get to my mail via OWA, but as you say, there is no way to synch.

Based on our security, I am 99.99% sure we don't have POP/SMPT exposed to the internet, nor can I do a remote hot synch. I need to learn more about the Palm VPN or how to dial in via the wireless modem.

Assuming I get to the intranet, you talk about Treo mail. Is that the Beta version that has been made available? I am using that program to send and receive my Sprint e-mail. I also have Eudora loaded, so I would need to know how to set that up so it would check my e-mail in the background.

Is there some place you can refer me to read up on this so I can ask more intelligent questions, and perhaps figure some of this out?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by jluffred
    I know there have been several related posts, but I have a specific question I would like to answer. I can get to my company e-mail through Outlook Web Access on my Treo 600. Does anyone know of a way to synchronize with my inbox while on OWA, and then be able to view the e-mail when not connected to OWA? If that works, then I would like to be able to reply to the messages, connect to OWA, synchronize, and send my messages. Does anyone know if this is possible.

Secondly, at some point, my company is going to install wireless routers in our building, so while in a meeting we should be able to view our mail, respond, etc. Of course this will work with Windows Pocket PC devices, but with a wireless SD card, appropriate software, should this also be possible on the Treo 600?
    If you are using a Sprint Treo 600, they offer software called Business Connection (BC). By simply installing the software, leaving their conduit running in the background on your computer that is connected to the internet 24/7, you can get email automatically pushed to your Treo 600. The inbox on the T600 will appear exactly as it is on your desktop (i.e. have the same emails) and any change you make on either the T600 or desktop Outlook will be reflected on the other (the two constantly sync with each other, as often as every 15 minutes).

Another alternative is Dataviz's (www.dataviz.com) Inbox-to-go. If you also purchase their docs-to-go software, you will have very good support for most email attachments on your T600.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a Palm wireless (wifi) SD card. Sandisk has already said they are having major issues with getting it to work on devices like the T600 such that it may never happen.
  5.    #5  
    I can't use BC because I cannot leave my computer running when I am not at the office. Our company is going to support Pocket PC at some point very soon. I assume they will be able to connect through the web with a VPN and tunnel in to the Exchange server. Once those devices are readily available I will be able to figure out how they are doing it. I am guessing that since it is a Pocket PC device it will be able to get Outlook e-mail and schronize with it. So assuming I will be able to get to the server, then I need to figure out how to synch up the e-mail without having Pocket Outlook or whatever it is called installed on my device.
    jluffred,

don't have the answer to your question but like to know do you access Outlook using Blazer?

I managed to access my office Outlook using Blazer by accessing https://xxx.yyy.zzz.iii/exchange.asp but the problem is the screen layout is somewhat making it difficult to read email portion as the left-hand column (where the icon inbox, calendar, logoff, etc) occupies one third of tiny Treo screen and is not adjustable.
  7.    #7  
    Yes, I access Outlook using Blazer with the exact web address as you reference. And yes the layout of the frames is less than desirable. I have the best luck when I use the stylus to touch the inbox area, lower right hand corner, then hit the small magnifying glass at the bottom of the screen. Then the inbox totally fills the Treo screen. Then I read each message by using the up or down arrows that is displayed when you read each message.

I have a further issue. For some reason when I hit reply within a message I just get a blank screen. I also don't get the desired result when I hit close. I am successful to send a message if I go back to the main Outlook screen and compose a brand new message. We are on Exchange 5.5 temporarily and are moving to Exchange 2000. I hope some of these problems go away.