Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Personal Technology - Walt Mossberg

Walt Mossberg reviews the Motorola MPx200, offered by AT&T Wireless, and the Samsung i600, offered by Verizon Wireless. Instead of a favorable review of either, it turns into a comparision of them against the Treo 600.

They're really not even in the Treo's category. They're smart phones for people still interested primarily in making voice calls, but want a few extras. These extras include the ability to synchronize easily with PC-based calendars and address books, and to do light e-mail and a little Web browsing. The phones can also play music, and both accept expansion cards.
    Read the review and share your thoughts.
  2. Daz
    GO WALT!!!!!

The Treo 600 just ROCKS!

It may still need Hi Res but I could keep this phone for 2 years and be happy with the technology for its time.

G
    Yea, it rocks, but i was bummed out to hear it will not support Wi-Fi. Sure this is BT, but it was originaly ment to be a infared type replacement, at least the way I understand it. It has a short range, it's slower then Wi-fi too.

I would have looved to be able to network to my home PC with the existing Wi-Fi transmiter I have know, verse have to do domething differnet.

i would also love to be at work and access the LAN with my Treo too (w/o a VPN).

Oh well....So the Treo has but one falt.. LOL

Yea, this thing does rock.

just my 2-cents, Matt Burkhard
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    Yea, it rocks, but i was bummed out to hear it will not support Wi-Fi.
    Don't give up on Wifi YET. Someone posted a news article in that Wifi thread wihich indicated Broadcom is planning to ship a new wifi "OneChip" by the end of this year. This new chip reduces power requirements by 85%, and will most likely see its way into SD cards.

Sounds very promising to me. I'd place a strong bet we'll see something available for the treo.

Pete
    Thanks for the info Pete! I would even be happy with a battery sled that has support for wi-Fi.
    Regards
    Is the low res screen on the Treo to save battery consumption?
    Yes, and to lower the cost.