Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My company has posted our Outlook e-mails on a secure web site via MS Outlook Web Access (an MS program). My current "Smartphone", a Kyocera 6035, can not get into this site.

Normally, when using a PC-based version of IE, I navigate to this site and I get the standard Windows login, with User Name, Domain and Password. With my Kyocera, all I get is an error.

Being able to acces this MS Outlook Web Access is a huge reason for me to buy a Treo 600 - without it, I'll keep the 6035 and put up with all of its limitations, and be forced to carry my laptop with me when I travel.

Does anyone know if the browser on the 600 is capable of logging into Windows NT-secured services like MS Outlook Web Access?

Thanks!
    If you're using Exchange 2000 - i imagine the outlook web access is way too bloated for the treo. If you're using 2003 however, there is a mobile web access (in addition to the web access) which is very sweet - a much scaled down version that is easily viewable on the tiniest of screens. Ask your exchange/IT dept about it.
    Treo 600 does not work with OWA access on Exchange 2000, or at least not for me.

Bummer.
    I have logged on to Exchange 5.5 successfully with my Treo 600. The reason why your other phone and the Treo 300 wouldn't work is because they couldn't handle scripts and therefore couldn't continue the logon process.

So it should work with your Exchange server as well.
    Another thing I just thought of is you should use POP access to your Exchange server and then use one of the many email clients available for the Treo.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all your replies. My IT department has already told me POP3 access is straight out - no way.

I'll give the IT guys a call and stretch their knowledge.

Thanks again.

Can it be that Amazon is really selling the Sprint Treo 600 for $250?
    Two problems here:

1) Exchange OWA uses Windows authentication which Blazer apparently does not support. Windows Auth is required to connect with AD/NT SAM for mailbox identification.

2) Exchange OWA uses an ActiveX control to display the mail contents and folders. Unfortunately, this is beyond the capabilities of Blazer (even Pocket IE can't handle it).

It may be possible to access the OCX content directly (assuming you could get around the authentication issue) althouth I don't know how it would look. If you could, the URL would be something like this:

http://<mail server>/exchange/Inbox/?Cmd=contents&Page=1

If anyone knows of a good Treo emulator I might be able to figure out a hack to get around this problem...
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by DJAlanCastle
    Two problems here:

1) Exchange OWA uses Windows authentication which Blazer apparently does not support. Windows Auth is required to connect with AD/NT SAM for mailbox identification.

2) Exchange OWA uses an ActiveX control to display the mail contents and folders. Unfortunately, this is beyond the capabilities of Blazer (even Pocket IE can't handle it).

It may be possible to access the OCX content directly (assuming you could get around the authentication issue) althouth I don't know how it would look. If you could, the URL would be something like this:

http://<mail server>/exchange/Inbox/?Cmd=contents&Page=1

If anyone knows of a good Treo emulator I might be able to figure out a hack to get around this problem...
    Wow, seems like you're on the right track, but I have no idea how to help you out. Anyone out there give DJ a hand?
    Savvy had given me a fix to the same problem yesterday, but I have not been able to get our administrator try it out yet... go thru, give it a shot and let us all know if it works...

Here goes:
    ""Your administrator needs to disable "Integrated Windows Authentication" within IIS for it to work.

I don't know why the new browser isn't compatable with this type of authentication while the old browser was.""
    it works to a certain degree for me. I can read my email, but for some reason have not been able to send email. but don't listen to us...go to a sprint store and try it yourself.

mike
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by MikeP
    it works to a certain degree for me. I can read my email, but for some reason have not been able to send email. but don't listen to us...go to a sprint store and try it yourself.

mike
    Mike, thanks. I have actually tired to do this with 2 Sprint stores, and neither of them had Treo 600's that were charged up and ready to use. They only had ones in the boxes.

And,WRT being able to read yet not send, that's odd. You mean you can log in and look through your inbox but can't send mail? It would seam you have solved the hardest problem: getting into MS OWA.
    I checked with our admin... we cannot disable "Integrated Windows Authentication" if we are using Active directory in the native mode... now if the earlier Blazer version used to work, and this one does not... do we reach out to them for help?
    Is anybody aware of a Palm 5 web browser that supports Active X controls (in addition to Java Script)?
    hello dmwierz,

I was having the exact same problem with accessing OWA, but was able to finally get access to my email using the "hacked" WebPro (only packaged with and supposed to work with Tunsten T3)- I have a Sprint T600 w/Vision). Funny thing though, I am only able to get it to work by hitting the "return" key on my T600 after typing in my email address in the initial logon box on the home page (before the secure log-in box pops up asking for your username and password), vs. tapping on the "click here" link that you can also use from a regular desktop browser!
    This then lets me into my Inbox page, where I can access my email like I normally do on my home computer.

Only thing I can figure is that this method somehow bypasses the usual script mentioned in deesugar's response that OWA appears to use to access, or some other proceedure (Active X??) and is then able to go directly to the Inbox page.

It is pretty slow however, so I tried the alternative Personal Business Connection software & service Sprint offers. For me, although there are some limitations, I work out of a home office and am on the road a lot for my job, and it actually works pretty well for me- giving me almost instant, updated acess to my corporate email while away from my desk (assuming my VPN connection isn't dropped on my home computer!).

Hope this was of some help. I was aware of this potential OWA access problem before I purchased my T600, and decided to go ahead anyway, as I knew I could always use the Sprint PBC method if need be. Now that I have my T600 for about a week (my first convergence phone device), I absolutely love it, and can't imagine going back to a seperate phone and PDA combo!

Let me know how it works out for you!

Neo
    I think the solution would be in exploring some other browsers...if it worked on Treo 270/ 300 (old Blazer) there is still hope. If anybody gets a hit, let us know.
    I have the same problems/issues as the rest of you.

Has anyone tried something like Versamail?
    I was having the exact same problem with accessing OWA, but was able to finally get access to my email using the "hacked" WebPro (only packaged with and supposed to work with Tunsten T3)- I have a Sprint T600 w/Vision). Funny thing though, I am only able to get it to work by hitting the "return" key on my T600 after typing in my email address in the initial logon box on the home page (before the secure log-in box pops up asking for your username and password), vs. tapping on the "click here" link that you can also use from a regular desktop browser!

Where do I get my hands on the hacked WebPro that you talked about? Can I use a trial version before I try it out?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have the GSM Treo 600, and use MS Exchange Server 2003. The Blazer can use Outlook Mobile Access very nicely, but Outlook Web Access is too graphic intensive to be useful. Whether you can log in depends entirely on how the person setting up the server configures the security.

On POP, Exchange supports SSL enabled POP and SMTP, so no reason at all not to implement them. MS Servers have certificate authority builtin and using it is free. MostIT departments don't know about this and simply assume that POP has to be clear-text.

I am usingVersa Mail 2.61 from a T3 and the built-in Handspring Mail, and both work well on the Treo.
    Hi Z3bum,

We use exchange 2000... so we would need to look at options that work with that... Thanks!
    Originally posted by dmwierz
    Does anyone know if the browser on the 600 is capable of logging into Windows NT-secured services like MS Outlook Web Access?

Thanks!
    My company is on Exchange 2003. I have successfully accessed Mobile Outlook, but because it says Device not supported, the presentation (UI) is so bad as to be unuseable IMHO.

I LOVE the UI of Basejet, put POP3 is not allowed, so I am trying to use Mergic to get VPN access and the sync to something like BaseJet. The basejet tech support says I can't do this because "tey use an intermediary to sync"...whatever that means!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast