Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can tell you that T-Mobile's warehouse has been out of Treo 270s for a couple of months. I asked at a store, and they said they were out and the warehouse was out, but that other stores around the country still had some and that they could have one transfered in a couple of days time. I didn't really want one though, I just wanted to try it out and play with it, thinking about a T600.

I believe that there is a software issue that T-Mobile won't accept and that is the actual hold-up.
    I personally believe all this stuff about software bugs is pure B.S. If you want to see buggy software, go try the T-Mobile specific software they put on their PocketPC Phone Edition. That thing wouldn't last a day without crashing with T-Mobile software enabled and even after T-Mobile "fixed" it, it was still very buggy with memory leaks.

I've used two Treo 600's on T-Mobile now and whenever I've had problems it's clearly a T-Mobile network problem. I was having problems at my house with GPRS working. If I made a voicecall then tried GPRS it wouldn't work. I would have to power the phone off and back on to get it to work. However it work fine at my office. Then a week later everything magically worked at my house. I'm convinced it was a T-Mobile network/tower problem.

I've used the Cingular Treo 600 on T-Mobile in Oregon and northern California now. It just works. Only one crash when blazer soft-reset the phone. In this amount of time, other normal phones I've had would need a power off/on for weird problems also.

These reasons for delays sound like excuses. Either there are bugs in T-Mobile software (if there's anything in their verson by T-Mobile this is 100% guaranteed!) or T-Mobile is trying to get Handspring to bend on something for them. The current GSM version just works.
    Originally posted by brownievegas

rfg17,

You are blessed! My T-Mo SIM works perfectly in my SE P800 but is buggy in my Cingular Treo. However do you do it?!
    Is it possible that the problems are there because your SIM card is coming from a non-Treo SE P800? I noticed that those not having problems are current or ex- Treo 270 or 180 users (regardless of Maui location ;-) Just my observation.
    Ed
    I'm using a SIM originally purchased with a Sony Ericsson T-68i with no problems. I don't think this has anything to do with it.

Originally posted by edkalama

Is it possible that the problems are there because your SIM card is coming from a non-Treo SE P800? I noticed that those not having problems are current or ex- Treo 270 or 180 users (regardless of Maui location ;-) Just my observation.
    Originally posted by rfg17

Don't know. I'm in Boston. By the SIM being buggy in your Treo, do you mean you see other problems or just the issues with GPRS usage?
    Primarily GPRS...no sustained surfing for me! The SIM works like a charm in my other GSM phone.
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    I personally believe all this stuff about software bugs is pure B.S. If you want to see buggy software, go try the T-Mobile specific software they put on their PocketPC Phone Edition. That thing wouldn't last a day without crashing with T-Mobile software enabled and even after T-Mobile "fixed" it, it was still very buggy with memory leaks.

I've used two Treo 600's on T-Mobile now and whenever I've had problems it's clearly a T-Mobile network problem. I was having problems at my house with GPRS working. If I made a voicecall then tried GPRS it wouldn't work. I would have to power the phone off and back on to get it to work. However it work fine at my office. Then a week later everything magically worked at my house. I'm convinced it was a T-Mobile network/tower problem.

I've used the Cingular Treo 600 on T-Mobile in Oregon and northern California now. It just works. Only one crash when blazer soft-reset the phone. In this amount of time, other normal phones I've had would need a power off/on for weird problems also.

These reasons for delays sound like excuses. Either there are bugs in T-Mobile software (if there's anything in their verson by T-Mobile this is 100% guaranteed!) or T-Mobile is trying to get Handspring to bend on something for them. The current GSM version just works.
    Hey!! You're on to something! This is exactly what I'm experiencing only worse!
    Originally posted by newtreouser

Are you suggesting that T-mo's reason for the 600's delay is because they want to sell off their 270 inventory first? That is pretty stupid on T-Mo's part if true. How many unsold 270's do they have?
    No, what I'm saying that out of the two theories in this thread I find seldom's post to be more plausable, not that I like it much more than the other. I'm with you it would be stupid to hold off until they depleted their inventory.

I just think it is "buggy" software because ppl (like me) are using the treo on t-mo.

I do think t-mo will eventually sell them, I just wish they would be more specific in why they are holding off.

If the current rumor of mid january are true, it looks like i'm going to keep the cingular model.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.

nope...shouldn't matter. I've been using the SE P800 with T-Mo for over a year...ZERO issues!! The move to Treo was only to satisfy my lust for Palm software. not a great deal of useable Symbian stuff out there.

I think the people that are not having major issues are those that live near the west coast (or west of the Rockies). The majority of T-Mobile users in those areas are acutally riding on Cingular towers.

Conversely, the only people I've seen complain about "issues" with Cingular Treo 600s on T-Mobile SIMs are those that live near the eastern part of the U.S. or mid-west.

This may be a coincidence, but it seems a little too coincidental. That's my observation.

While I'm certainly disappointed that the Treo 600 is not yet offered officially on T-Mobile, I'd rather they only offer it after it is ready. I can live with waiting a few extra weeks if it means that the device will work properly once they release it vs. releasing it with problems and listening to everyone gripe and complain that they should have tested it more.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Personally, I believe there is some network upgrade T-Mobile needs to make to support these and other newer phones. For example, I had a new Nokia 6600 before this. With this phone you can't get to T-Zones or do MMS because it needs WAP 2.0 gateways (which T-Mobile doesn't seem to support). I had the same GPRS problems on the Nokia that I had initially on the Treo 600. So far, the problems seem to be gone and I'm convinced it's some sort of network/tower upgrade that is causing this. Note that the Nokia can work fine on AT&T and Cingular which tells me T-Mobile is behind the other carriers in network upgrades. So when T-Mobile gives reasons why they aren't offering the Treo 600 do you think they would say the phone is "buggy" or that their network is behind the other GSM carriers? Given the ability to now take your number with you, I know what I think they would say. Lucky for them no other GSM carrier gives me unlimited data for $20 a month.

Originally posted by brownievegas

Hey!! You're on to something! This is exactly what I'm experiencing only worse!
    I live in Oregon and Cingular isn't in this state. The towers I'm using are T-Mobile (originally Voicestream) towers. The idea that T-Mobile GPRS access only works when using Cingular towers is untrue.

When I travel to California, I'm sure they are sharing towers, but the network shows as T-Mobile

Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

I think the people that are not having major issues are those that live near the west coast (or west of the Rockies). The majority of T-Mobile users in those areas are acutally riding on Cingular towers.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Conversely, the only people I've seen complain about "issues" with Cingular Treo 600s on T-Mobile SIMs are those that live near the eastern part of the U.S. or mid-west.

No. I'm in Boston and know of other Boston area T600 GSM users that aren't having a problem with T-Mobile.
    Originally posted by rfg17

No. I'm in Boston and know of other Boston area T600 GSM users that aren't having a problem with T-Mobile.
    That's it! Now I gotta move to Boston. My Treo 600 purchase just got way expensive!
    You guys who have had variable experiences using the TMo SIM might want to simply ask TMo for a new SIM in exchange for your current one...*especially* if you originally signed up with Voicestream...

It's what a little birdie told me...

TM
    Originally posted by anthonymoody
    You guys who have had variable experiences using the TMo SIM might want to simply ask TMo for a new SIM in exchange for your current one...*especially* if you originally signed up with Voicestream...

It's what a little birdie told me...

TM
    Nope...my SIM was purchased under T-Mo. Unless there's a significant reason to exchange it (programming change, etc.) I can't see the need to get a new one. Besides, it works 100%...just not in my @#%! T600.
    Well, the info I got *was* related to SIMs issued by VS, but if it's free and painless (which it should be) it couldn't hurt, no?

TM
    I'm in the bay area, and we have had no problems with TMO on our Cingular 600s.

We haven't had them long enought to really pound them, but so far, very happy.
    Originally posted by anthonymoody
    Well, the info I got *was* related to SIMs issued by VS, but if it's free and painless (which it should be) it couldn't hurt, no?

TM
    Ahh..."painless"...that's a good word!!

It's probably worth a shot for some. I'm reluctant only because I know my SIM works. If the Treo is designed to GSM/GPRS specs then it should work properly. But it won't with T-Mo. Maybe it's the phone or it's software! I doubt that...it will work fine under the Cingular service. Maybe it's a T-Mo network issue. But my P800 is solid! Questions, questions...

The SIM works...it's something else.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12