1.    #1  
    In today's NY Times Circuits section there is an interesting comparison and review of the 600, Sony Ericsson P900 and Motorola MPx200.
    Conjuring a Superphone, With 3 Formulas to Choose
    By DAVID POGUE

Published: December 11, 2003

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/11/te...ts/11stat.html

registration required
    Here is the direct link if anyone needs it
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/11/te...ts/11stat.html
    Pogue states, "This keyboard, alas, may be a deal-breaker for some people: it's positively microscopic." He then says it's like typing on Tic Tacs.

To be fair he should have evaluated it's functionality rather than use hyperbole to describe what it looks like. I use it all the time to post and write emails. He never really tried to use it, I bet.

This is why I hate these articles written by evaluators who don't know the devices intimately.

Each feature of the Treo 600, including the camera, requires some type of involvement from its user. The is the nature of a converged device. It's not AOL. Then someone will say, but then it's geekware meant for a niche market. I think that's underestimating the intelligence of even the readers of the NYTimes.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    Originally posted by wireless-doc
    Pogue states, "This keyboard, alas, may be a deal-breaker for some people: it's positively microscopic." He then says it's like typing on Tic Tacs.

To be fair he should have evaluated it's functionality rather than use hyperbole to describe what it looks like. I use it all the time to post and write emails. He never really tried to use it, I bet.

This is why I hate these articles written by evaluators who don't know the devices intimately.

Each feature of the Treo 600, including the camera, requires some type of involvement from its user. The is the nature of a converged device. It's not AOL. Then someone will say, but then it's geekware meant for a niche market. I think that's underestimating the intelligence of even the readers of the NYTimes.
    ...I don't know. I like Pogue and find him pretty sound and trying to give a fair review of all three products without the bias that we as Treo users might have to our product.

The ease of use of the keyboard is something that seems to attract quite differing opinions from 600 owners. Those (and I am one) who find it much more cramped and slow to type on than on the previous Treos and those who insist it's at least as easy as previous Treos once you get used to it.

I didn't find his review unfavourable on the whole. And even though I find the keyboard less functional than previous I consider it a trade off worth making for the smaller form factor and all round excellence of this product.
    I tested the MPX200 extensively before finally deciding on the Treo, despite it's small and somewhat difficult-to-use keyboard (for those of us with large fingers, at least). At the end of the day, my fingers are much less cramped from using the Treo keyboard than from pressing every key 2-3 times to get the letter I want. Even with predictive text the number-pad style smartphones are just too cumbersome for heavy email and messaging use.

So there's my two cents which, with deflation and taxation, are probably worth just about zero
    I thought it interesting that he says the phone is already available from T-Mobile - so the company skates away from losing some marketing over their delay.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    So far, all PPC and other smart phones suck. Treo 300/600 is the only smartphone done right. No question about this.

However, if HS can achieve the same Treo 600 on a PPC platform, that can only be better - for example, I can have Bluetooth right now!

No BT, no thanks. No matter how great Treo is, I'm living with a SE T610 for now.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    So far, all PPC and other smart phones suck. Treo 300/600 is the only smartphone done right. No question about this.

However, if HS can achieve the same Treo 600 on a PPC platform, that can only be better - for example, I can have Bluetooth right now!

No BT, no thanks. No matter how great Treo is, I'm living with a SE T610 for now.

Are you on crack? The Treo 300 was/is a piece of crap that only a masochistic geek (a rare creature, I hear) could like. It's amazing that Handspring actually managed to stay afloat over the past year despite having not much else to sell except that dog of a PDA-phone.
    Yes, I'm such a geek. Now you tell me, which PDA phone or smart phone is better than Treo 300?
    Originally posted by Fixup
    Yes, I'm such a geek. Now you tell me, which PDA phone or smart phone is better than Treo 300?
    The Treo 600. (The first - and only - realistic smartphone designed for people that don't wear propeller beanies or carry pocket protectors in their shirts.)

The Treo 600 makes the Treo 300 look like the Dork-a-Tronic™ Trekkie communicator it secretly always wanted to be.
    Purple? That you?
    Originally posted by NJ Snoop Doggy Doc
    Purple? That you?

Err... suuure...

PPC rules! Microsoft smartphone is gonna KILL Palm! Microsoft is gaining marketshare! Palm is dead! Can your Palm download an MP3 while making a voice memo attachment to an appointment and playing back an MPEG video of Boy George? No? Then Palm is total crap! Microsoft BrickPhone Edition is manna from heaven and you don't deserve to be in its holy presence!

Is that better?