1.    #1  
    My favorite hack for my old palm was something called switchhack: a stroke in the graffiti area popped up a list of the 10 apps you used most recently, and you could switch to any one by selecting it. This meant that you almost never actually used the application launcher.

Is there anything remotely equivalent for palmos 5 devices, and for the 600 in particular?
    Best launcher out there is Hi-Launcher. v1.1 works beautifully with the Treo. You can launch by scrolling the menus or by assigning a letter to an application for quick launching. Highly configurable, highly recommended.

Aside from Hi-Launcher, I also use QLaunch (extends hard button functionality) and McPhling (I use it only for launching Desk Accessories (DA's)).

These 3 combined are great for my needs.
    McPhling does exactly what you are looking for
    Originally posted by ewokninja
    McPhling does exactly what you are looking for
    Do check out Hi-launcher ($14.95) as it does what McPhling ($10) does plus a whole lot more.

The extra $4.95 paid for hi-launcher is well worth the money!

The only reason I'm keeping McPhling is because of DA's. I think I'll go ask the developer of Hi-Launcher to do that as well.....
  5.    #5  
    McPhling does the trick. I'm curious about how dangerous it is to map it to the home button. Is there a situation where you wouldn't be able to get to the default applications list?

I've tried Hi-Launcher, and doesn't seem to do what I want: you can switch to the most recent app, but it doesn't automatically keep track of the 10 most recent apps. In a way, both McPhling and SwitchHack act as a self-configuring Hi-Launcher (with admittedly limited menu options).
    Last edited by platron; 12/11/2003 at 12:31 PM.
    Originally posted by platron
    McPhling does the trick. I'm curious about how dangerous it is to map it to the home button. Is there a situation where you wouldn't be able to get to the default applications list?

I've tried Hi-Launcher, and doesn't seem to do what I want: you can switch to the most recent app, but it doesn't automatically keep track of the 10 most recent apps. In a way, both McPhling and SwitchHack act as a self-configuring Hi-Launcher (with admittedly limited menu options).
    That's the way I've been using it so far without problems. The trick is you make the applications app a favorite so that it is always in your pick list
    treo butler lets you use the volume keys as a switch hack

(use opt + vol for volume functionality)

Also has a couple of other features.
    Originally posted by cywong
    The only reason I'm keeping McPhling is because of DA's. I think I'll go ask the developer of Hi-Launcher to do that as well.....
    The DA's will be supported in the very next version - 2.0 in January!
    McPhling is great!

You can make the two volume buttons useful now. I customized the down volume button to toggle between the previous app and the up volume button to pop up a menu of recent apps (selectable with 5-way nav button). Holding opt button restores volume functions of these buttons.

Couldn't ask for more.
    Originally posted by platron
    I've tried Hi-Launcher, and doesn't seem to do what I want: you can switch to the most recent app, but it doesn't automatically keep track of the 10 most recent apps.
    Yes, it does! Just put 10 items of the "Recent App." type (one after another) in your menu. If you give these items empty captions, the actual names of most recent applications will be used.

(it is mentioned in the online help, anyway :-)
    That's pretty cool! I don't have my Treo 600 yet, but I'd considered getting HiLauncher. Now that I know a bit more about its functionality, I'll definately go for it over the others! Thanks