1.    #1  
    Here's a review of 9 image viewers that I tried on my Treo 600. Maybe it is of help to other people that are looking for a better viewer than the built-in camera image viewer (if you hadn't realized yet: the built-in viewer s***s)

If you're in a hurry: my favorite is RescoView, based on price, its neat navigator, and the image quality that I felt was slightly better than AcidImage. Runner up is AcidImage, being a little more expensive and having a slightly less neat navigator. Special mention to JpegWatch for its excellent image quality, but the trade off is that itís horribly slow.

Complete review:

Typically, I want to use the image viewer with photos that I upload from my PC, in most cases taken with my Sony S70. I already have plenty of tools on my PC to edit and manage these photos - for the Treo, usually I use Irfanview to make 640x480 JPEGs of around 200K that I put on an SD card through a USB 2.0 card reader. I have set the Treo camera to store photos on the card so I also want to use the viewer for these. Occasionally I use the viewer for other JPEGs, BMPs and GIFs (for example of the classic Paris Metro map).

I basically want an image viewer to be (these criteria are of equal importance to me):

* Fast. I don't want to wait 5 seconds each time I open an image.
    * Easy to use. This applies to the app on the Treo but also to the method for making images viewable to the viewer, i.e. I don't want a conduit or conversion program on my PC. Also, I'm not looking for dozens of features and I refuse to read a manual for something as simple as an image viewer. Of course 5-way support would have been a nice plus but none of the apps I tried supported this really except for some that use Up/Down for flipping through images.
    * Image quality (surprise surprise)

I downloaded 8 viewers from Palmgear that looked on paper as if they were likely to fit the bill. I installed all of them and then spent on average 5 minutes testing each of them. If the viewer looked reasonably good I played a little with the Preferences, in particular trying to improve the image quality.

AcidImage 2.9 ($29.95)
    Speed: Fast, though generating thumbnails is horribly slow.
    Ease of use: Good. Panning, zooming, flipping with Up/Down, and rotating all working fine. I like the various thumbnail options, though the thumbnails are a little too small to be really usable.
    Image quality: Good.

Firepad Picture Viewer 6.4c2 ($29.95)
    Speed: not tested
    Ease of use: Couldnít navigate to the SD card. Then I realized I had to use a conduit, so I didnít look at this viewer any further.
    Image quality: not tested

JPEGView 1.1.1 (free)
    Ease of use: for some reason I just donít see any folders when I try opening an image. Also, thereís another thread on this board about it causing frequent resets so I gave up on it (actually, it did reset my Treo each time I exited the app)

JpegWatch 1.4.7 ($19.99)
    Speed: Slow. The slowest of this review. Really annoying that itís not only slow in opening an image but also when panning and zooming.
    Ease of use: Medium. You canít tap an image from the list to open it, and I couldnít find an option to display thumbnails. When viewing an image, the little tabs to choose the size are not bad, but itís freakiní ugly.
    Image quality: Excellent. The best of this review.

myAlbum 2.1.1 ($14.95)
    Speed: Medium.
    Ease of use: The thumbnails are good but it didnít refresh the list when opening the app, yet I had set it to do so. Panning worked fine but it lacks some of the zooming features that AcidImage and RescoView are offering.
    Image quality: Medium

PicturePlus 3.6 ($9.95)
    Speed: Medium
    Ease of use: Horrible. Couldnít understand a thing of the buttons. Panning would chop the images into pieces.
    Image quality: Medium

PLPhotos
    Ease of use: Requires a conduit. Didnít do any further testing

RescoView Photo Viewer 1.3 ($19.95)
    Speed: Fast.
    Ease of use: Excellent. The navigator is brilliant. A little explorer-like view of the SD card on the left and thumbnails on the right. It even supports drag & drop of images across folders. The options when viewing images are very similar to AcidImage but I felt they were a little more intuitive. Panning, zooming, flipping with Up/Down, and rotating all working fine.
    Image quality: Very good.

SplashPhoto 4.0.9 ($29.95)
    Speed: Fast.
    Ease of use: Medium. To zoom you need to hit menu, it doesn't have rotate, and it doesn't have options for opening Full Screen or Fit Image. Other than that the thumbnails, panning and flipping with Up/Down are working fine.
    Image quality: Very good.
    Last edited by Mol; 12/11/2003 at 09:52 AM.
  2.    #2  
    BTW, I've sent an email to Resco if they're planning to support the 5-way. I'll post any updates here.

UPDATE: Resco is about to release a new version that will let you access the camera pictures on the Treo itself, i.e. even when you haven't stored them on a card. They're working on a version that supports the 5-way.
    Last edited by Mol; 12/11/2003 at 10:03 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Don't know why but I had forgotten to review SplashPhoto. Just added it to the review above.
    I tried Resco first when getting the 600 -- I used it in a former life as a Pocket PC user and loved it.

A couple notes to make Resco easier to use. It's completely un-intuitive but...

Hitting the space bar will open a folder in the folder view on the left of the explorer.

Hitting backspace will flip between the right and left panes on the explorer.

Hilight the picture you want to view with the D-Pad (up down only) -- a yellow check mark will appear -- and hit return to view.

Backspace returns from the image view to the explorer view.

Cheers,
    Jeff
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by beergeek
    I tried Resco first when getting the 600 -- I used it in a former life as a Pocket PC user and loved it.

A couple notes to make Resco easier to use. It's completely un-intuitive but...

Hitting the space bar will open a folder in the folder view on the left of the explorer.

Hitting backspace will flip between the right and left panes on the explorer.

Hilight the picture you want to view with the D-Pad (up down only) -- a yellow check mark will appear -- and hit return to view.

Backspace returns from the image view to the explorer view.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    This helps a little...but I'm glad they're promising to include 5 way support
    Thanks Mol for posting a review! After reading it I tried out Resco and love it! Much better than Acid IMO.

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    Looks like version 1.40 of Resco Photo Viewer has been released.

As of right now it's not on their web site yet:

http://www.resco-net.com/palm/PalmViewer.asp

But it is on Palm Gear:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...E&prodid=49978

It does support T600 camera pictures stored in RAM.
    Thanks for the info!

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reviews.
    The fact that Resco can read the Treo's own photos without having to copy them to the card will probably be the selling point for me.

I am curious if any of these apps will take the jpg registration away from the horrible Treo Picture app? I'd so much prefer to be able to download a jpeg from the net and have Blazer feed it directly into a 3rd party app (one that can zoom, in particular) rather than having to import it into Treo Picture first.
    The fact that Blazer can display images embedded in pages, but refuses to render a straight .jpg itself, is no end of annoying.

ian
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Daemon
    I am curious if any of these apps will take the jpg registration away from the horrible Treo Picture app? I'd so much prefer to be able to download a jpeg from the net and have Blazer feed it directly into a 3rd party app (one that can zoom, in particular) rather than having to import it into Treo Picture first.
    The fact that Blazer can display images embedded in pages, but refuses to render a straight .jpg itself, is no end of annoying.

ian
    Can't remember for all of the viewers that I tried, but surely Resco and Acid are registering themselves, I think Acid even has a preference option for it.
    Thanks for the roundup -- excellent, helpful information.
    First of all, good work on the quick reviews of the different viewers. I prefer SplashPhoto on my T3 but was seeing iif anything was better for the Treo 600.

Second, I downloaded the new Resco 1.4 because it is supposed to see the Treo database of pictures. I click on Treo Camera and I get the error: OPen Error: Not enough memory. I have 51 pictures in my database and 6+ Meg of free memory. Anyone else getting this to work or getting a similar error?

Thanks.

Speed
    Try basePhoto from Archsoft ..

http://www.arcsoft.com

It allows you to edit images by size, looks....and more ..not super fast but not to slow. Great if you have a Digital camera and need to resize images on your Treo a, save and email them.

-CK
    Do any of the apps you reviewed have 5-way support. This is actually more important to me than the other functions since i hate to take out the stylus for simple tasks... I tried your top choices but they both don't.
    Originally posted by ckonkel
    Try basePhoto from Archsoft ..

http://www.arcsoft.com

It allows you to edit images by size, looks....and more ..not super fast but not to slow. Great if you have a Digital camera and need to resize images on your Treo a, save and email them.

-CK
    Ckonkel, are you sure photoBase can re-size images natively on PalmOs devices? According to the product details:

Photo management isn't restricted to local images on your PDA. Access photos on storage cards, complete with EXIF information. You can even log into your online photo-sharing account to upload and download images. File transfer options can automatically resize images so they don't tax your PDA's resources too heavily. Having virtual access to your photo collections on the Web wherever you are means that friends and family can always be kept in the loop and never need to wait long for updated pictures.
    Thus, I assume the pics are only resized by the online server or computer and then downloaded to the Palm device? Let me know if that's not the case here...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by tijs.t
    Do any of the apps you reviewed have 5-way support. This is actually more important to me than the other functions since i hate to take out the stylus for simple tasks... I tried your top choices but they both don't.
    I guess you need to read the original review one more time. Note as well the post from beergeek explaining how to use the keyboard to navigate Resco. Still hoping they will release real 5 way support soon.
    Mol,

Thanks for the Viewer comparisons. I've used Resco Viewer and Acid Image and prefer Resco because it just feels more user friendly to me. (Ok, I used to own it on my PPC)

Question, I save my photo's to my SD card to save space, BUT they do not want to Share when I try and send them this via email. It says that this function is not supported. Any advice besides not saving to a card?

Right now I'm using Acid trial so I can't test Resco (which has expired) to see if you can send pics by "Share", please advise.

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    Mol,

Thanks for the Viewer comparisons. I've used Resco Viewer and Acid Image and prefer Resco because it just feels more user friendly to me. (Ok, I used to own it on my PPC)

Question, I save my photo's to my SD card to save space, BUT they do not want to Share when I try and send them this via email. It says that this function is not supported. Any advice besides not saving to a card?

Right now I'm using Acid trial so I can't test Resco (which has expired) to see if you can send pics by "Share", please advise.

Thanks
    Sounds more like a problem of your mail application. I have no problems mailing photos from the SD card using SnapperMail.
  19.    #19  
    v1.50 of Resco View was released last week. It includes better 5 way support for the Treo.
    Thanks Mol!

BTW my Picture "Share" function mysteriously stated to work again.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre