Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The SD slot in Treo 600 is SD I/O capable. Now, I know absolutely nothing about developing hardware, so, in my fantasy world, I was wondering if it would be possible to develop a small hardware MP3 player that has a multiple-gig hard drive and clips into the SD slot and maybe wraps around the phone somehow (so as not to add much bulk). Perhaps also an IR port for a remote, and a stereo headset jack that doesn't require the adapter. That'd be sweet. Think it's possible?
  2. NBP
    Originally posted by Boodles
    ...I was wondering if it would be possible to develop a small hardware MP3 player that has a multiple-gig hard drive and clips into the SD slot and maybe wraps around the phone somehow (so as not to add much bulk)...
    At that point, why not just buy an iPod (or other hard disk based MP3 player)? It would seem like you'd be adding to the footprint and bulk without receiving the added benefits of having a dedicated device.
    I don't know about you guys but I have quite a lot more than a "handfull" of songs. by converting my mp3s to ogg I have about 8 hours of music on my treo in perfect cd quality sound. this is quite enough for on the go listening and if I want to switch songs I am sure I will be around a computer before I have to hear a single track twice.
    I also have a Treo and a 20 GB 3G iPod. My iPod currently has 1500 songs on it and I can locate any song or artist I want in less than 10 seconds. In fact, my 14 year old, when first using it, was able to locate a song she wanted in 10 seconds without ever having seen it before.

Even with a large SD card, there is no way that the Treo will provide the kind of interface needed to locate or organize collections of this size.

My main complaint is the amount of car chargers, remotes, headphones, FM transmittors, cassette adaptors etc. that are involved in using both of these devices. I would love to see a way to bridge the car charger and car speaker playback between the two in order to cut this in half.

I am tired of having my front passenger seat look like a Radio Shack workbench...
    Originally posted by treosensei
    do you think the treo's mp3 player is just as good or comparable to the ipod and its capabilities?
    Treosensei,

I am sure you got plenty of answers to your question from the posts above. Anyway, I'll do my duty and post, as long as I've viewed this thread, and given the case that I have both units.

I purchased a 3G 10 gig ipod this summer, and by far I got a lot more use out of it that I initially expected. Although I am not holding the massive ammounts of music on it as some of my friends do, I already have 3.5 gigs. It is not all my music library, just a little something to keep me going through the day, and through the different moods I'm in. Obviously the treo alternative would not be able to provide me with this opportunity! I agree that this comparison is more like comparing apples and oranges, and with that thought in mind I didn't even test the mp3 player on the treo. From my point of view, I got either one of this devices for what they were mainly designed to do: treo- a smartphone; the iPod- an mp3 player (and firewire HD). For the same reason I am not using the calendar functionality on the iPod.

My conclusion I guess is that they're both very good at what they were designed to do primarily, and I do not, and will not take into account the add-in bonuses the companies have put in these devices for extra advertisment.

I hope this helps you a little more!
    May the G4ce be with you
    Originally posted by thr61
    ...My main complaint is the amount of car chargers, remotes, headphones, FM transmittors, cassette adaptors etc. that are involved in using both of these devices. I would love to see a way to bridge the car charger and car speaker playback between the two in order to cut this in half.

I am tired of having my front passenger seat look like a Radio Shack workbench...
    To cut down on the clutter, I put in a JVC stereo/cd player that has a AUX jack on the front panel. With this I connect a "line" cable directly to my Treo (if needed), but mainly to my Belkin i-Pod charger (it has a line-out jack built into the cig lighter adapter).

To also keep things organized I purchased an i-Pod holder that fits into my Explorers cup holder. I use the holder for my Treo 600 when I am not using my i-Pod.

(I have been thinking about purchasing another holder and attempt to make them both work out of the same "cup". But I have been holding off because of concerns of having the Treo magnet right next to my pod).

To get back to the main topic discussion... I agree that the i-Pod is for the serious listening of music (or Audible files), and the Treo is great when you are out and about and just want to listen to a few songs.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    Originally posted by Bret Snyder
    (I have been thinking about purchasing another holder and attempt to make them both work out of the same "cup". But I have been holding off because of concerns of having the Treo magnet right next to my pod).
    It will erase your iPod, but not permanently damage it.
    Oh if that's all... then I'll give it a try.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    I have both the Treo 600 and the 15gig Ipod. I enjoy both of them and it will NEVER be a choice of one or the other. However, I did notice that ever since I had my Treo, I am listening to the iPod less often, maybe it's just because of the convenience factor. Btw the sound quality on the Treo is actually comparable to the iPod! But here's one for the Treo MP3 player - you can listen to it thru the speaker. Not a killer sound but at a low volume, it's OK. I always have the music background (thru the speaker) as I surf the net, checking my email, and as bedtime music. I was at a meeting yesterday and I had the Treo playing a Christmas song inside the case, and everybody is trying to figure out where the hell the music is coming from until I pulled out the Treo.

Of course, that's another story when I told them that my Phone/PDa/Camera/Pocketcomputer also plays music. It just blows everybody away!!!!
    Ed
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    My cousin has an Ipod, and I have the GSM Treo 600. When it comes to mp3 or ogg files, the Treo can do two things that the IPOD can't... stream music directly from internet (no more running out of memory) and play videos using Kinoma. I am playing with Kinoma Producer and have successfully converted some Top Gear video clips. The sound is decent and the images are cool. The Ipod does seem to have better output for stereo system use though. My Treo sounds ok with headphones but doesn't seem to work properly when plugged into the input of my receiver.
    Posted by z3bum:
    stream music directly from internet
    I love the idea that this feature essentially makes the Treo600 into an expensive transistor radio. This is an accurate observation, though -- Internet radio is a great use for the Treo.

(Okay, yes -- the Treo is a very functional transistor radio.)
    I'm sorry but I'm truly irritated by hearing about the Apple iPod all the time. I believe it's a great device but it's extremely overrated/pricey. Any true audiophile/über-geek who does his homework would see that the 60GB Creative Nomad Zen Xtra (which costs the same as a 40GB iPod) is worth its weight in platinum.

Don't get me wrong here... the Nomad Zen Xtra, much like the Treo, TiVO and many other bleeding edge of tech devices that have come and gone, isn't made for everyone. However, I believe there are many individuals who went out and blindly bought an iPod because they were not aware of the alternative.
    I have a 30GB iPod and a Treo 600. The ipod is for music and some PDA functionality; the T600 for phone and full PDA. The two are NOT comparable devices. I actually have the iPod packed with music, and I also use it as a backup device for my laptop. On road trips or international flights, I can go through gigs od music, and the ability to change accroding to my changing mood is very nice.
    Originally posted by skillllllz
    the Nomad Zen Xtra
    The iPod is pretty much the Xerox of MP3 players. Most people won't even have any idea what you mean when you say "I was listening to music on my Nomad." When they ask you what a Nomad is, you'll most likely wind up saying "It's like an iPod."

On top of which, the Xtra basically just became available! So, yes -- you're cool for knowing how great it is, but it's also understandable that other people don't know about it yet. Besides, if you really want to claim the title of "audiophile/über-geek," you better be showing up with an iRiver ihp-100. Yes, 100, and we can all cry about how harsh it is here on the bleeding edge. ...Boy do I ever wish I had another 10 gigs. (Of course, I wish I had the freakin' Xtra even more, but technology marches relentlessly forward...) Or tell me about your MuVo, or your Archos Jukebox, or your Lyra, or your Karma, or your Yepp, or... err, we'd probably better start talking about the Treo again or the mods are gonna get annoyed.
    LOL... hey if you wanna put it that way the original Diamond Rio would then be the official "Xerox" in this situation. Not very many people know Micro$*** and Cr@pple got the Idea from Xerox.

By the way I wouldn't mind explaining to people what my Zen Xtra is. It's not like I don't have to explain my Treo every five mins.
    Originally posted by skillllllz
    By the way I wouldn't mind explaining to people what my Zen Xtra is. It's not like I don't have to explain my Treo every five mins.
    I hear you, brother. I hear you.
    Originally posted by thr61

My main complaint is the amount of car chargers, remotes, headphones, FM transmittors, cassette adaptors etc. that are involved in using both of these devices. I would love to see a way to bridge the car charger and car speaker playback between the two in order to cut this in half.

Belkin makes an iPod charger with a stereo line out built in. Mine is plugged into the AC charger in the trunk; the line-out is routed through the CD changer. I hid both cables under the plastic trim next to the carpet. I keep the iPod hidden in the center arm rest and clipped the remote that came with the iPod to the leather around the stickshift.

I got the idea over at the forums at vwvortex.com and ipodlounge.com. You probably don't have a VW with a trunk AC adapter, but some folks were able to bypass the cigarette lighter in front and route their power directly into the dash. Some CD head units allow a direct line-in, but you gotta rip out the head unit and find the right jack. Then you hide the cables under the dash trim. Seems like a lotta work to avoid cable clutter, but if you got the time to kill and REALLY hate cable clutter...
    Originally posted by ExtremeSIMS
    I have a 30GB iPod and a Treo 600. The ipod is for music and some PDA functionality; the T600 for phone and full PDA. The two are NOT comparable devices. I actually have the iPod packed with music, and I also use it as a backup device for my laptop. On road trips or international flights, I can go through gigs od music, and the ability to change accroding to my changing mood is very nice.
    I agree completely, I own both an Ipod and Treo 600 and they are not comparable devices except for some limited cross-over functionality.

With regard to the comment made elsewhere in this thread, not everyone buys an ipod blindly because it is the market leader, or because of the 'cool' factor. I considered all the current digital music/video players even tried the ones I could 'hands on'. Some of the other players had more capacity, handled additional digital formats, some even handled video, but what sold me on the Ipod was the interface, its the best in my opinion.

Everyone who asks to see it is always impressed with the simplicity and the functionality of the device, if you haven't tried it, its hard to put into words just how well it works.

I'm not married to my Treo or my Ipod when something comes out that works better for me, I'll buy that.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    <<Mine is plugged into the AC charger in the trunk; the line-out is routed through the CD changer>>

I have the Belkin charger and wonder how you plug it into the iPod for power when you have put it in the trunk. Did you extend the cable?
    i have the GSM treo and the 3g 20 gig ipod. i love them both but if i had to choose just one..... it would be the ipod. i would go back to carrying three devices (tungsten c, moto 720, and the ipod).

someone stated in an earlier post that the ipod was overpriced and over hyped. i kept from buying one for the same reasons (previously owned the archos, the jukebox 3, and then the firewire zen). the ipod blows them all away and i'll tell you why; third party support. it gives the ipod a longer lifespan and more felxability then any other jukebox out there bar none, believe me i've researched this with the new crop (rio karma, iriver, philips, zen ultra) and while they offer more battery life, more features the ipod still .

i don't carry my ipod with me all the time and in that instance the treo serves a purpose. i will be getting a 512 sd card for apps and some tunes and this will make the treo my jack of all trades.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast