Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to use Sprint Business Connection (Personal) without a desktop machine sitting on the net running their connection software? This is kind of a ridiculous requirement, as folks like myself who travel with a laptop don't have a machine "always on" the net someplace.

If not with personal, can you do this with enterprise? The bottom line is, I'd like Sprint BC to basically act as a simple IMAP client. Can it do this without all this complicated Windows desktop software?

Thanks..
    Adam
    I tried to do so since my desktop is my laptop but wasn't able to figure out a way. That is why I am now testing Snappermail. Maybe someone else has been successful.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  3.    #3  
    There just doesn't seem to be a good combination of an IMAP client support SSL which handles auto-fetch functionality for the Treo's. Basejet seems the closest, but it's extremely buggy so far in my use. Sprint BC looks good, but requiring a desktop connector is ridiculous for business travellers.

Adam
    You guys might want to try the 'Share Connection' function of BC - the <theory> is that you set up a tunnel, via a co-worker's always-connected PC, to your Exchange account, and you still get your mail and such delivered to your handheld, even though your PC isn't connected.
    I haven't tried it, but that's the idea. May be of some use.
    Ack - I thought I answered this but it appears not.

The answer is this can be done but you'll need to install the Desktop Software just to get the Device client installed on your device. Here's the steps:

1. Login to the Web and create an IMAP connector in the services.
    2. Click on the Inbox and make sure you get the emails.
    3. Logout of the interface.
    4. On your device re-register or register for the first time using your credentials.

This will now establish your connection to the Web based connector as opposed to the Desktop.

The only caveat is that this method will not support Push's in the sync prefs so you'll need to set yourself up for Scheduled Sync.

Try this out... I have set it up myself so it should work.
    Originally posted by adamtraidman
    Is it possible to use Sprint Business Connection (Personal) without a desktop machine sitting on the net running their connection software? This is kind of a ridiculous requirement, as folks like myself who travel with a laptop don't have a machine "always on" the net someplace.

If not with personal, can you do this with enterprise? The bottom line is, I'd like Sprint BC to basically act as a simple IMAP client. Can it do this without all this complicated Windows desktop software?

Thanks..
    Adam
    Sure, from your Treo 600, bring up BC -> Menu -> Account -> Manage -> New.

There you can setup BC to check your email via POP or IMAP.

I ususally have my laptop connected 24/7 but when I do need to take it with me, I simply tell BC to check my email by POP or IMAP (via the settings I just described above) and it works fine.
  7.    #7  
    So without the desktop connector, you lose "push" functionality.

Ok, so I've been using BC for a couple days now. This "Push" via SMS is really starting to annoy me. I thought the SMS message would be received by the system and force the system to "sync". Instead, it notifies me directly, at which point I have to manually enter the BC mail program and force a synchronization myself. IMHO, this is hardly push. Am I doing something wrong?!

Adam
    Originally posted by adamtraidman
    So without the desktop connector, you lose "push" functionality.
    This is correct. What I do is just set the scheduled sync when I go into this mode.

Ok, so I've been using BC for a couple days now. This "Push" via SMS is really starting to annoy me. I thought the SMS message would be received by the system and force the system to "sync". Instead, it notifies me directly, at which point I have to manually enter the BC mail program and force a synchronization myself. IMHO, this is hardly push. Am I doing something wrong?!

Adam [/B]
    You described how it is supposed to work. You should not have to do a manual sync. The software does rely on getting that SMS message. One way to test this is in the Web interface go to the Settings page and turn on alerts for your device. Then send some mail to yourself and you should see the SMS application notify you of some new email. If you get these messages consistently 2-5 minutes then Sprint's SMS infrastructure is working properly. At times it seems it gets clogged up so some

If you get the SMS messages described above then this means the BC app is also likely receiving the trigger (an encrypted SMS message) that tells it to go sync. Some caveats (bugs) that have been discovered through user feedback here is that the BC app will not sync consistently or at all if it is not the foreground though as well as it will not vibrate / chirp if you have that set and the BC app is in the background. Rumor has it this is fixed in an upcoming maintenance release.

The best way to test all this in a "virgin" state is just to leave the device with the BC app in the foreground and send email to it and don't touch any buttons for 20 minutes or so.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that the "encrypted" SMS message is supposed to notify the BC app directly. I just wish it worked correctly.

I am getting the SMS messages (most of the time) which I can read. 100% of the time, I launch the mail app, and there is no new mail. If I wait 15 minutes (my sync interval), then the mail generally appears. Although last night (BC was not in the foreground), it NEVER synced all night long, despite 8 SMS messages about new emails. I assume this is the bug you were referring to.

Wish Sprint could fix some of these things. I also would like them to add the ability to "tap" an HTML link in an email. Then when I get "subscribed thread" updates from treocentral.com, I can launch directly from the email.

Adam
  10.    #10  
    MobileGhost... you got me thinking. So if I turn off "alerts" in Sprint BC, I won't get the SMS messages, right? But will the "encrypted" message to force a sync still be sent? Is there any way to force the sync via push but not get the visible SMS message sent to the device which I keep seeing?

Thanks,
    Adam
    So, other than losing "push" email, is there any other loss of functionality when using BC Personal Edition without the desktop software running? For example, can you still access your Outlook calendar and contacts when operating this way?

Also, has anybody been able to run BC PE over a VPN connection (e.g. Mergic)? That's the only way I can access my Exchange server.
    adamtraidman - The Alerts settings via the Web interface are separate from the SMS messages sent that trigger the push. You should still get the SMS messages sent via the push mechanism when using the desktop connector. If you want to experiment a bit then a quick way to test this is the turn on the push settings for the device and then delete the BC client on the device. Send yourself some email via the Web or another interface. Your device should get some encypted SMS messages that start with //SVS... These are the ones sent by the back end when a push takes place.

John P. Smith - The calendar settings are only available via the Web interface from your PC or via Blazer on the device if they were talking to Exchange and Domino I believe. I forget about the contacts but I know under Exchange they were natively available via every interface. I did not ask adamtraidman what IMAP server he was going against so I would have to guess on the other features to whether they were there before using the Desktop Connector. There may be a few others that do not show up as well.
    John P. Smith - I forgot to mention I run over VPN all the time when at home under DSL and is directly related to the reliability of the VPN and the pipe getting there. About 90 to 95% of the time it works fine but if the VPN disconnects or is flaky then BC cannot overcome this so keep this in mind. I find my DSL causes 5% of the problems and the VPN another 5% on bad connection days.
    MobileGhost, thanks for the replies. I had no idea BC Personal could be used without the desktop piece.

It seems from the information on the Sprint site that BC doesn't have the same level of mail folder support as a full-featured IMAP mail client like VersaMail. E.g. it doesn't appear to support Personal Folders.

I sure wish someone would come out with a Palm "clone" of the Pocket Outlook client that would provide full mail, contact and Calendar access to an Exchange server without requiring server or desktop software.
    Actually some of what you describe does exist via the Sprint - Enterprise Edition product. (BCEE) It talks directly to an Exchange or Domino Server without the middle man :-) I don't recall all the IMAP connectivity options there but Sprint should be able to describe them. Calendar / Mail Folders can be accessed via the Web client on any PC or Blazer on the device. Contacts are accessible from either interface. Calendar access from the native device client is somthing that is needed to round out the application.
  16.    #16  
    MobileGhost - Thanks for the reply. So does that mean that I can turn off "alerts" and will still get the "push" functionality? I'd like to get "push" but not see the normal SMS messages "You've got a new email message"...

Adam
    MobileGhost -- BCEE doesn't require your desktop PC to be running, but it does require special software on the Exchange server, right? Unfortunately I have little to no chance of getting my IT dept to do this. If I thought I could get them interested in installing server-side software I'd try to sell them on Good's solution.
    adamtraidman - You are correct. You should still get the push if you turn off the alerts on the web interface. That functionality just serves the purpose if you want to filter on some specific emails and if heaven forbid you were on a WAP device then it could be somewhat useful to know when your boss has pegged you with some important email for example.
    John P. Smith - BCEE does not require any software on the Exchange server. Sprint normally deplys all BCEE solutions via a private pipe from them to the server to keep that traffic off of the Internet. This is why it is an Enterprise solution. Just as you mentioned... BCPE is the avenue for keeping IT out of the loop and not bothered with maintaining anything at their level.
    MobileGhost -- thanks for clarifying how BCEE works. I think I'll try to get BC PE working over a Mergic VPN, without the desktop component. I don't really care about "push" email anyway.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast