1.    #1  
    hi all

can i dial my isp number to get web access? or do i have to pay for sprint's service? i can't setup a new connection in t600

thanks a lot
    You can use a regular dialup ISP connection, but make note that you'll only get the fastest speed from your ISP (56k), and also that you'll be eating up your minutes, whereas the Vision service doesn't use minutes.

- Mike
  3.    #3  
    how do i do that? i set up a wireless modem "connection" in preferences but can't get anywhere furthur. everytime i try to get on the web, i am told to get pcs vision.

thanks
    no, you won't get 56k. you will not be using the 1xRTT network by DIALING. You will be using your minute pool, too...and any data call you make (weekend or night included) counts against your limited weekday daytime minute pool.

you will be using the G2.5 wireless data calling. speeds will be 9600K, maybe 14400.

to connect, open prefs and connect MANUALLY to the ISP. anytime you automatically connect, it will default to vision.

this is really a horrible way to do it. take it from someone who has done the "call isp" method...use vision, it is worth it.
  5.    #5  
    thanks steven; i will try that out. i don't use the web so often so it's probably ok
    Originally posted by newestjazz
    hi all

can i dial my isp number to get web access? or do i have to pay for sprint's service? i can't setup a new connection in t600

thanks a lot
    One BIG correction I have to note here. When using your phone to dial any other ISP or fax modem, Sprint will charge $0.40 cents per minute!! Thus,it will come out of your minutes pool PLUS cost you .40 cents per minute!!

Thus it wouldbe extremely unadvisable to dial out to a 3rd party isp usin your Sprint Treo600. Other wireless providers likeTmo do not charge extra fees like this.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    thanks gfunkmagic, you just saved me a lot of money.

so everyone who uses sprint signs up for the $15 per month vision plan? it's too much for me; i just need to ocassionally (at most a few times a week) check my email and movie showtimes while on the road. i most certainly am not paying $180 + tax every year for the vision service.

what kind of plan do people with similiar needs have? or is there any way to circumvent sprint's evil money-making scheme?
    I suppose everything is relative, but the Sprint PCS $15/mo unlimited data plan is a great bargain in my view and probably the best of any of the Treo600 capable providers. Hardly an evil scheme.

Ummm.. why buy a Treo600 and not utilize the wireless internet functionality? Again, to each his own, but that is one of the primary features of the Treo line. Convergence is great and pocket space a premium, but you could get Palm OS functionality and great cell phone service in two devices at a fraction of the cost of a Treo.
    Originally posted by newestjazz
    thanks gfunkmagic, you just saved me a lot of money.

so everyone who uses sprint signs up for the $15 per month vision plan? it's too much for me; i just need to ocassionally (at most a few times a week) check my email and movie showtimes while on the road. i most certainly am not paying $180 + tax every year for the vision service.

what kind of plan do people with similiar needs have? or is there any way to circumvent sprint's evil money-making scheme?
    I don't know the particulars of your plan, but you should not be paying $15/month for every phone on you plan with vision. If you have a shared plan over $100/month, then each additional sub should only cost you $5/month for vision...at least that's what I get charged...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions