Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PC Magazine posted this Product Bulletin which speaks of "an alternative to those who want a wireless mobile headset but lack Bluetooth-enabled phones".

The product name is "Unleash", by Reason Products. This is the link to their webpage

I sent them an e-mail saying "I didn't see any specifications listed on your website for the wireless headphone. What are the weight and dimensions of each component? Do you have any pictures of the base with a phone? Preferably the Treo 600. "

This was their response today
    [I added the metric conversions in brackets-Could someone please confirm my conversions are correct?].
    "We are updating our specification PDF right now and it should be on the website in the next couple of days. We are also planning on expanding our photo gallery to include some shots with a phone, but that won’t be until next week."

"In the interim, here is the information you were looking for"

Headset weight 23 Grams [0.7 oz.]
    Base weight 17 Grams [0.5 oz.]
    Case weight 55 Grams (w/o 4AA batteries) [1.6 oz.]

Headset dimensions 65 x 20 MM [2.6" x 0.8"]
    Base dimensions 35 x 35 x 6 MM [1.4" x 1.4" x 0.5"]
    Case dimensions 150 x 75 x 50 MM [5.9" x 3" x 2"]

Sounds intriguing. Anyone heard of this company? Anybody tried this product yet?
    Your PC Mag link is dead. I'd like to see that review. Sounds interesting.
  3.    #3  
    Sorry, still learning link insertion techniques. Guess I got too fancy!

Here's the link to PC MAG. It wasn't a review. Just a heads up. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1403688,00.asp

And here's the link to Reason Products
    http://www.reasonproducts.com/unleash/index.html
    Looks pretty good to me, except the base unit that plugs into the phone may be a bit bulky. ?????
  5.    #5  
    Yah, I could live with an inch and a half square. Don't know about half an inch thick though. 0.2 or 0.3 inches would be better.

And what to do with the base?
    Rubber Band?
    CNet article - says magnet transmission uses less juice, suffers from interference less.

another story on it

and a nice big picture, though it's hard to get a sense of scale: http://www.infosync.no/news/2003/04/...unleash_01.jpg

The magnetic angle is interesting.. it looks like they licensed it from Aura , and another licensee is fonegear

Review of the Auracomm Docker - detailed review with pictures
    Geek.com review - check out the comments
    Last edited by winkler1; 12/10/2003 at 10:38 PM.
    --
    Half the washin' is in the wipin'
    See also http://www.fonegear.com/products.htm

I need one of these. I just need to figure out which one.
    Originally posted by Blue Merlin

[I added the metric conversions in brackets-Could someone please confirm my conversions are correct?].

Headset weight 23 Grams [0.7 oz.]
    Base weight 17 Grams [0.5 oz.]
    Case weight 55 Grams (w/o 4AA batteries) [1.6 oz.]

Headset dimensions 65 x 20 MM [2.6" x 0.8"]
    Base dimensions 35 x 35 x 6 MM [1.4" x 1.4" x 0.5"]
    Case dimensions 150 x 75 x 50 MM [5.9" x 3" x 2"]

.81 oz
    .60 oz
    1.94 oz

Base thickness - 6mm=.24", not .5" - this is an important difference

other mm/inches conversions are correct.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the xcheck.
    I'm probably going to use this just in my car, so it looks like the fonegear is the way to go. The headset is smaller, clips right onto the base unit and the base unit is also the charger with just one battery instead of 4. The Unleash looks like a friggin' hearing aid!

WHAAAAAAAAAAT????? HUH?????
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by draxll
    I'm probably going to use this just in my car, so it looks like the fonegear is the way to go. The headset is smaller, clips right onto the base unit and the base unit is also the charger with just one battery instead of 4. The Unleash looks like a friggin' hearing aid!

WHAAAAAAAAAAT????? HUH?????
    I prefer the flexible boom mike over the stick-like option. Anyone have experiences to offer comparisons?

Also, my interpretation of the "Unleashed" setup is that the base and headset have their own rechargeable batteries, thus the smaller size of the base. The AA batteries seem to go in the charging unit. I'm wondering if that means a faster charge time?

Monster unit behind the ear though. Any ideas why?
    The Unleash Wireless Headset is super. The headset is so light I can wear it for hours, and no background noise. The small box that attaches to the phone is light weight, plus right into the Treo 600. Initial charging in the charging unit - carrying case took 5 hours. This is powered by 4 AA batteries, so no AC power is involved. It's priced now at $ 69 and is shipping now.

It makes my Jabra FreeSpeak headset look, feel and sound like a Dinosaur.
  13.    #13  
    Lettsbs,

So I take it the apparently large part of the headset that fits behind the ear is no bother? Do you look like a geek? or does the info on the website give a poor impression?
    Pardon the delay, had to ask my wife if I look like a geek. Answer; It looks better than the other one (Jabra). At age (69) I'm not too concerned with appearances and this is my third generation of Handspring's PDA/phone combinations. Answer; It looks better than the other one (Jabra).

If your only concern is appearance: Reason Products has a 10-dy money back guarantee. I'd suggest buying one and letting your friends decide.
  15.    #15  
    Naaah, I'm a Land Surveyor. I'm used to looking like a geek No great concern there.

The question was more about earlier posts in this thread about the size of the part behind the ear. As if it was in the way or cumbersome.
    It's comfortable. I've never been able to wear my Jabra unit for more that 15 minutes, taking it off between calls. The first time I tried the Unleash was today, and I kept it on, comfortably, for over three hours. For about 10 years I had to wear glasses, and they were never comfortable.

I read but seldom enter into discussion boards. I was so pleased with this new thing I just felt I had to say something about it.

After I placed my order they called to ask where I'd heard of it (PC Magazine website) as they weren't even shipping until 12/10/03. They shipped on the 10th and I've now had the thing a whole 21 hrs.

I lost the use of my right hand 3 years ago to a stroke, so a headpiece of some sort is just about a necessity. I really think this one's going to be the answer.
  17.    #17  
    Thats great! I think I'll endup doing the same.
    Hi all, Will this work with SPRINT VOICE command or what ever sprit calls it voice dialing. I can activate my voice dial with a touch of a button, but will the headset work for the voice command. I assume yes, but it would be nice to see if anyone has tried it.

Also what is the cost of shipping and about how long did it take to arrive???

thanks and take care, Jay
    ps i don't think it looks geeky but I also have lived 48 years not caring what others think anyway. It is great to travel to the beat of a different drummer. Take care, Jay
  19.    #19  
    Same age.

I think people are taking my "geek" comment too seriously.
    Mine cost $ 9.95 for 2nd day Fed Ex. I think surface was $ 5 to $6. Can't tell ship time, see above. But they did ship the day promised, and were thoughtful enough to call me after I ordered - to tell me they were'nt shipping until the 10th. So they're concious of the cunsumers; needs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast