1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,

Just ordered a T600 thru Sprint at Best Buy this weekend and picked it up last night (they were out of stock initially). Two more weeks until I get my service activated because I'm transferring my home number.

First off, I was very glad to find a site like this for the product. Props to whomever created/maintains it and to all the posters. I've already learned quite a bit from reading some of the existing threads.

On to my question...Any accessories you would consider "essential"?

My previous cell phone was a Nextel i1000 plus. For those not familiar it is a flip phone (when closed it is about the same size as the T600, but a little fatter) and I've always worn it with a plastic belt clip holster. I have gotten used to it and like the fact that I can get the phone out while the clipped holster remains on my belt. I've seen that Seidio is coming out with a similar product for the T600 and I'll probably get one.

I have never owned a PDA before so this is the first I've heard of screen protectors. I've looked on other threads and it seems there's no real consensus for which is the best. I'd like to get something that would last about a year without having to change it. I am thinking this is an essential, especially with a new-to-the-market holster. Is it necessary to protect the camera lens as well?

Finally, I'm considering the docking/charging station. Not sure if I should have it set up at home or work.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the purchase (as you can probably tell by the rambling) and looking forward to actually being able to use the phone and web capabilities. Thanks for any advice or feedback you can offer to the newbie.
    So you're looking for "essential" accessories?

Have you tried http://treo600essentials.com
    Screen protectors. I don't use them probably should. I had them for an old PDA, but I've kind of gotten lazy with the Treo600. Always took a lot of work to put on exactly right. I figure that I spend $4 a month for the Sprint phone insurance plan, so if I get anything bad, I think I can send it back. If you get a screen protector, I think the general recommendation is to replace them monthly. When I had mine, I wouldn't replace for 4 months and they'd get grey with dirt or something.

SD card and card reader. If you want to listen to mp3s you're going to need an SD card to store it on. A card reader is something that plugs into your computer (via USB or Firewire it seems), to transfer files to the card. You can do it through hotsync, but from what I've heard it's painfully slow (i.e. 5 minutes per mp3 vs. 10 seconds on the card reader). Most people also use the SD card to back up files or run more applications than they can fit in their main memory, but I don't.

The Stereo headphone adapter from Handspring. This is key to be able to plug your headphones into the Treo to listen to music.

Lens cleaners. Without screen protectors, my screen gets dirty. After reading a thread on here about how regular cloth can scratch the screen over time, and it's preferred to use lens cloths for glass and cameras. Picked me up 60 of these and use them whenever my phone seems dirty. I should probably just get screen protectors.

Belt holster. Some people have cut holes in the cheap case it comes with so they can string their belt through it. If you are really used to this belt behavior you might want to look into it. You've got two weeks to work on it while they switch your number.

That's all that I have. I carry my Treo naked in my pocket most of the time (by itself, no keys or anything, with the screen facing my leg). I ordered it the day it came on the handspring site, got it 3 days later and have had no problems with it thus far. I have no protection for the camera lens and it is fine thus far.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    I have no protection for the camera lens and it is fine thus far.
    BTW, I have created a simple storefront for Kent Clausson - the maker of the Original Treo 600 Lens Covers.

You can purchase at:

http://treo600essentials.com/store.html

Please be aware that other than hosting for Kent, Treo 600 Essentials has no formal affiliation with him and we make no money from his sales. I am just hosting him as a service to Treo 600 owners.
    My essential accessories:

1. Boxwave screen protector
    2. Egrips
    3. Stereo headset adaptor from Handspring
    4. 256 Meg SD card and card reader

Each of these items make a BIG difference to me. Items 1-3 cost about $35 total. Item 4 cost about $95 together from Costco.

I also have the leather belt clip that comes with the Cingular version, but I don't use it.

Now there is the price of Software ... back to work to make more money!
    Yea, there are several software threads out there, but those will add up fast....
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by derek985
    So you're looking for "essential" accessories?

Have you tried http://treo600essentials.com
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
  8.    #8  
    Screen protectors. I don't use them probably should.
    I am leaning in the same direction I think. The holster I'd like to get stores the 600 "screen-in", so I dont have to worry about scratching it against something while its away, just the wear and tear of the stylus against the screen and I figure to use the keys as much as possible. I also have the insurance (just in case).

If you want to listen to mp3s you're going to need an SD card to store it on. ... You can do it through hotsync, but from what I've heard it's painfully slow (i.e. 5 minutes per mp3 vs. 10 seconds on the card reader).
    MP3s...sweet... This may be the greatest gadget ever.

Thanks for the other tips.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by heberman
    My essential accessories:

1. Boxwave screen protector
    2. Egrips
    3. Stereo headset adaptor from Handspring
    4. 256 Meg SD card and card reader

Each of these items make a BIG difference to me. Items 1-3 cost about $35 total. Item 4 cost about $95 together from Costco.

I also have the leather belt clip that comes with the Cingular version, but I don't use it.

Now there is the price of Software ... back to work to make more money!
    Originally posted by RawData
    Yea, there are several software threads out there, but those will add up fast....
    I have no idea what Egrips are but I will do some searching to find out. As far as software, I don't plan on needing any additional business apps. I might get an mp3 player and I did see a Texas Hold Em game that looked promising.
    Originally posted by Gambit_727

MP3s...sweet... This may be the greatest gadget ever.

Thanks for the other tips.
    LOL, you bought it and didn't realize that it played MP3s?

The MP3 software (Pockettunes) came free when you register the device the at Handspring's website.

Wait until you find out it does Ogg Vorbis and streaming music. I'll let you research them on your own.
  11.    #11  

LOL, you bought it and didn't realize that it played MP3s?

The MP3 software (Pockettunes) came free when you register the device the at Handspring's website.

Wait until you find out it does Ogg Vorbis and streaming music. I'll let you research them on your own.
    I have not registered it yet...still awaiting activation.

After using the Nextel i1000 browser (WAP only) for 3 years all I wanted was something with as close to a real web browser as possible. Oh and something with a real OS that I could maybe write applications for. Everything else was gravy.

Ogg Vorbis? searching now...
    Originally posted by Gambit_727

As far as software, I don't plan on needing any additional business apps.
    Well, I don't have any business apps and I've spent LOT of money upgrading apps ever since I got my T600. Not everything is freeware or GNU license.

But they're all worth the cash I'm spending!!!!