1.    #1  
    Has anyone noticed that getting intellisync v5.3, groupwise 6.5 and the treo 600 to sync the calendar gives problems? I haven't been able to get it to work. If using online mode of Groupwise, hotsync continues to look like its syncing, but never stops. For remote Groupwise sync, I get the error message: "Pilot Connector: Unable to complete translation". Pumatech couldn't help me after waiting in queue for >30 minutes.
    Otherwise, the Palm Desktop syncs w/address, memo, to-dos.
    Help! Thanks
    Have you tried Synchronis from Nexic? www.nexic.com These guys are former GW developers, so you get a GW app on your Treo (or Palm) that closely mirrors your desktop GW GUI...

I've found it more reliable than Intellisync. The only downside is that the sync times can be long depenidng on how much data you move.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I use both Intellisync and Synchronis depending on my mood <g>. I have no problem synching Intellisync to the calendar.

GW6.5 SP1 (well, actually I'm running a beta of SP2), Treo 270 and Treo 600, Intellisync 5.0.3 and/or 5.0.12.

I will say, however, that 5.0.12 seems to take "longer" to sync the calendar, even when nothing has changed on the calendar!

Danita
    To be fair, the other product out there that I tend to use is SyncWise Pro (www.toffa.com) as it's very flexible and has the option to goto a wireless version down the road (SyncWise Enterprise) that instantly keeps data in sync both directions.

Danita (small world seeing you here), do you have both Intellisync and Synchronis installed at the same time? Any conflicts?

Thanks,
    Mark Nielsen
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Hi Mark - well, I left that out - I also have Syncwise Enterprise <g> - but I'm just playing with it more than anything and use it only for wireless sync. Toffa is looking at different implementations for the email sync. Right now it only syncs to mail.prc (although they told me they are looking at VersaMail) and it requires a SyncML client on the Palm to do the talking to the Apache server. A lot of ideas "in the making" for GW sync to wireless devices.

For cradle sync, I have both Intellisync and Synchronis installed at the same time. Right now I'm using Synchronis for address book (I like it better) and Intellisync for Calendar. I had the GW client on my Treo 270 - just haven't had time to put it on the 600. I like it too! The only thing I don't like about the GW Client calendar implementation is that it is not searchable with "Find" like the Palm calendar is. Jeff is looking at that issue. And of course once Synchronis goes wireless I'll have to give it an even closer look. Until it is wireless, synching mail makes no sense to me, because I have no need for a copy on my Palm that I can't update immediately when I'm out and about.

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by manielse
    Danita (small world seeing you here)
    So - do you have a Treo 600 yet???

Danita
    Until it is wireless, synching mail makes no sense to me, because I have no need for a copy on my Palm that I can't update immediately when I'm out and about.
    I agree 100% with any cradle sync groupware product. Static sync for mail makes no sense unless it's right before jumping on a plane.

I'm still using my Treo270 but anxiously keeping an eye on T-Mobile's (lack of)progress. <g>

Just curious to anyone reading this using GroupWise with a PDA, who would like to see a Push to Sync prc app that looks at the WebAccess box for data? To clarify, have a client that you hit a send/retrieve button simular to GroupWise Remote (or auto schedule sync times) with options to messages, cal, tasks and notes. You should also be able to grab multiple mailboxes that you have proxy rights to. On top of that, maybe add iFolder access as well to transfer prc/pdb files but that would require the WebAccess portal to be open through the firewall.

The reason why I ask is I'm toying with the idea as it would be quite easy to build (much easier than a mac client) but not sure if it would suite peoples needs compared to real time syncs. I figure most places have WebAccess open through their firewalls already and would be much cheaper to deploy.

Thoughts?
    This must be one of those YMMV situations. I have had nothing but perfect syncs to the Calendar using Intellisync 5.3. In fact, 5.3 is the only sync product I've ever used that properly syncs repeating appointments and alarms. I get a smile on my face every time an alarm goes off on both the T600 and GW. Prior to 5.3, alarms didn't sync and were only active of the system where the appointment was created. Note that I don't count Synchronis as a sync product, because it doesn't sync to the built-in Palm datebook, but instead has its own calendar in the client. I have a number of applications that hook into the Palm calendar, so a separate calendar is useless for me. But if you don't need that, the Synchronis client is quite nice.

I've tried SyncWise in several different versions. Its sync of the Address Book is much better than Intellisync because you have much more control over what syncs and what doesn't and it doesn't insist on creating multiple address books (one for each palm category). But SyncWise is pathetic when it comes to syncing the calendar if you use repeating appointments on either platform, unless you use an infinite sync window. Once a repeating appointment goes out of range, wierd things happen. Also, SyncWise sometimes converts repeating appointments to a series of one-time appointments, which is hell if you ever need to change them.

There is a big bug in IS 5.3 by the way: data in the cellular field of the GW Address book isn't properly synced to the Mobile field in the T600. This is, I think, the same problem that existed in 5.1 only with the pager field instead of cell. They fixed pager, but broke cell. I've been working with Pumatech on this, and hopefully it will get fixed.

600userCA, are you running GW on a machine that isn't logged into NDS, or on a machine where the client does not have "No password required with NDS" checked? If that is the case, then you will get the exact symptoms you described if you don't put your login and password information directly into Intellisync. Also, if the Pumatech phone guys can't help you (and they invariably can't), insist on having your case escalated to a level 2 tech. Those guys are really good and very helpful.
    Regards,

Robert
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    For cradle sync, I have both Intellisync and Synchronis installed at the same time. Right now I'm using Synchronis for address book (I like it better) and Intellisync for Calendar. I had the GW client on my Treo 270 - just haven't had time to put it on the 600.
    Hi Danita. I'm confused. When you refer to the GW client, do you mean Synchronis or something else? Is there another GW Palm client I don't know about. I assume that you don't mean the GroupWise PQA client, because that won't run on a Palm OS 5 device like the T600. Also, did you have to do something special to get both the Synchronis and IntelliSync conduits enabled. I tried that on an older Palm device last year and at that time installing either product broke the installation of the first to be installed. That's why I gave up on Synchronis. Being able to use Synchronis for address book and Intellicync for calendar would be the best of both worlds, especially with the improvements in calendar sync in IS 5.3.
    Regards,

Robert
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by rbienstock
    Hi Danita. I'm confused. When you refer to the GW client, do you mean Synchronis or something else? Is there another GW Palm client I don't know about.
    Synchronis started out as just an address book conduit, but now is a bundle of the conduit and a GroupWise Client for the Palm. The client has mail, calendar, etc. It has of course a very "Familiar" interface - looks a lot like the desktop GW client, but as I say, it's not wireless yet, so the email portion is desktop sync only. Eventually it will be much like GW remote, where you connect to the POA wirelessly, download info and then disconnect.

There is a 30 day free demo if you want to look at it - www.nexic.com - downloads.

Danita
    Originally posted by Danitaz
    Synchronis started out as just an address book conduit, but now is a bundle of the conduit and a GroupWise Client for the Palm. The client has mail, calendar, etc. It has of course a very "Familiar" interface - looks a lot like the desktop GW client, but as I say, it's not wireless yet, so the email portion is desktop sync only. Eventually it will be much like GW remote, where you connect to the POA wirelessly, download info and then disconnect.
    OK, I get it now. What you were calling the GW Client and what I was calling Synchronis are the same thing. When I tried it last spring, you couldn't use it and Intellisync on the same machine. If that is fixed, I'll try it again.
    Regards,

Robert
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by rbienstock
    When I tried it last spring, you couldn't use it and Intellisync on the same machine. If that is fixed, I'll try it again.
    Well, anyone who knows me will know that I do everything totally against common wisdom <g>. I'm not sure that you can "sync" both - for example, I haven't tried using Intellisync to sync to the Calendar app and Synchronis to sync the GW calendar into the Synchronis client at the same time . . . something to try today maybe <g>.

Danita
  13.    #13  
    To: rbienstock
    Thanks for your feedback / information. I checked with my IT folks and we're not using NDS, but have a client /server mode using TCP/IP. Evidently we do not have Netware client installed on the workstation and don't need to login to NDS. I'm now over my head in understanding. I'll try Pumatech Level 2 support, unless you have some advice on what to do given my current configuration.
    Thanks!
  14.    #14  
    Problem Solved, eventually!
    Hope this is not poor etiquette, but I will post the entire related text from the Pumatech site here, since it is very comprehensive.

Notes: My problem didn't give the same error message in online mode. It just hung up. I archived all my Groupwise calendar, synched, then piece by piece unarchived and synched about 100 records at a time. I didn't run GWCheck, either.
    Thanks to all for help!

Answer ID 1895
    This error is usually seen when attempting to synchronize the Address Book and Calendar sections in GroupWise.

If the error occurs during the synchronization of the address book follow these steps:

1. In Windows Explorer, go to the directory in which Intellisync is installed. The default path is C:\Program Files\Pumatech\Intellisync. Within the Intellisync directory, do a recursive search for all *.ish, *.bk0, *.old, and *.wrk files. These files should be deleted. Also, have the user look for a file called "ilink.ini" within the Intellisync directory. This file should also be deleted.

These files comprise of the Intellisync history files. These files can become corrupted due to canceled synchronizations. Synchronizations may be canceled manually by the user or automatically by error messages.

For more information regarding history files see Answer ID 1811

2. Run the utility "gwcheck.exe" and see if this finds any issues. The gwcheck.exe should be located in the directory where the GroupWise client files are installed. Typically C:\novell\Grpwise. Run GWCHK32.exe and configure as follows:

-Double-click on GWCHK32.exe. You will see a dialog box labeled "GroupWise Mailbox/Library Maintenance".
    -Keep "Post Office" selected under "Database Type".
    -For "Object Type" select "Post Office".
    -Keep "Action" at "Analyze/Fix Databases" and have "Structure", "Contents" and "Fix Problems" checked.
    -For the four tabs at the bottom, have all 3 checked under "Databases", note the name of the log file in the "Logging" tab(this should be stored in the gwcheck directory) and for "Results", send results to "Administrator" and "individual user".
    -Select "Run" to begin the check of the database.

For more information on how gwcheck works, consult this link: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10025211.htm

If the error occurs during the synchronization of the calendar section, then the cause of the error is a corrupt data record within the GroupWise calendar. The main characteristic of this error as it occurs with the calendar section if a change is made on the Pocket PC device. If no changes are made on the device, then the synchronization will complete with no problems.

Running the GWCHECK utility is one way to track down the record. If the utility does not find any errant records then unfortunately, it is quite tedious to track it down. The following procedure is what we would use if GWCHECK does not find anything:

i. Change the view of the calendar in GroupWise by doing the following:

* Go to File->Properties. In "Calendar Properties" select the "View" tab.

* In the "View By" field, select "Details".

* Under "Item Type" check only calendar items(i.e. Reminder Notes, Appointments, Documents)

* Click "Save As"

* Specify a name for "Display Settings Name". Click OK.

* Using the "Display" field in the main calendar view, you should now be able to toggle between the regular, graphical view of the calendar, and the new view that you have created. This view lists the calendar items like emails. So now it should be easier to select and sort items.

ii. Remembering when this first occurred is a good resource.

iii. Archive the portion of the GroupWise calendar starting on the day in which this error was first noticed.

iv. Look for any error messages stating that particular records could not be archived. If these messages appear, then chances are that these records are the records that are causing the translation error. If the customer does not want to delete these records, they should be stored within a folder in the Cabinet. At this point, the calendar can be unarchived and the next synchronization of the calendar should be successful. It is important that the user delete the Intellisync history files before a synchronization is attempted. If there were no error messages during the archiving process, then continue with this procedure.

v. Make some change to a calendar record in the handheld device. This can be either an addition, deletion or change to an existing record.

vi. Delete the Intellisync history files. These files are within the directory in which Intellisync is installed. In Windows Explorer, go to the "Intellisync" directory and perform a recursive search for all *.ish, *.bk0, *.old, and *.wrk files. Also search for the file "ilink.ini" and delete this.

vii. Run Intellisync and make sure that only the calendar section is selected for synchronization.

viii. Close all Intellisync configuration windows.

ix. In GroupWise, unarchive some of the calendar data. As a suggestion, you may want to have the user unarchive half of the calendar data.

x. Run a synchronization of the datebook. If the error appears, repeat steps v-x.
    Weird reading this stuff out of context of the Novell newgroups...lol.

Here's my opinion of Nexic, unsolicited as it may be. I think they bite off more than they can chew, and as a result their apps hold a lot of promise but do not end up being that useful. I bought both Symphony and Synchronis, and use neither of them. Symphony was too unstable on my system, and the archive function didn't work properly. I found Synchronis completely useless since it didn't sync with the built-in Palm calendar. In my opinion they should've synced with the palm calendar ... making a new calendar from scratch just doesn't seem prudent since so many palm apps depend upon the built-in calendar! The email part of synchronis is nice, but it's no use to me without polling and wireless. Now Nexic is working on a PocketPC version of Synchronis, so their limited resources are all used up doing that. In my opinion they need to spend more time getting one thing RIGHT before going on to the next!!

For my money, Syncwise has been worth its weight in gold, and I use it for contacts and calendar management. I am seeking other solutions to the email thing...such as Chatter.

-Yvonne
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    One of the reasons Nexic is doing the PocketPC version before doing the Palm wireless is that they feel they can optimize it best on WinCE first and then slim it down for the Palm. One of Nexic's biggest hurdles seems to be being able to get the information "processed" on the Palm quickly. If you've ever used any kind of GW Remote, you know that the POA sends you a big bundle of data, and the device (the PC in this case) "processes" it into the GW databases. This is somewhat how the Nexic piece is supposed to work - talk directly to the POA - no "middle man" to deal with - but that means they have to optimize the processing at the device.

I'd love them to do the Palm wireless version first, but c'est la vie <g>.

Personally, I used Symphony all the time up until GW 6.5 - with 6.0 it was starting to be less useful, but I still really miss the macro abilities and the right-click/move to folder option <g>.

Danita
    I guess that was my problem ... I did not start using Symphony until GW 6 ... and by then they were no longer updating it so it just didn't work that well. Another app of theirs that I really liked because of the potential of it is Printing Press, but again it has not been updated for a long time, and it has a disappointing lack of flexibility because you can't define your own custom views (which of course, I want to do ).

I just tried Synchronis again last night, months after the first time I tried it. I was BOWLED OVER by how fancy it is and how many detailed Groupwise capabilities they put into the application. It is just a beautiful-looking application, and it's obvious they put a *lot* of detailed work into it. At the same time, I was utterly amazed at how completely useless it is to me!! I couldn't get it off of my Treo fast enough. It was as slow as molasses in the syncing (as you mentioned), and the lack of wireless sync makes it completely frustrating on the Treo. As to the fancy array of Groupwise features that it has - I think I would just use a laptop on the road if I needed all those! The addition of wireless update capability might make me change my mind on that issue, though.

I am using Versamail now, and it is doing everything I need for Groupwise email. Syncwise is keeping my Groupwise calendar and address book in good shape. Between those two apps, I'm reasonably happy with the status quo on my Treo.

-Yvonne
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by itsyvonne
    I am using Versamail now, and it is doing everything I need for Groupwise email. Syncwise is keeping my Groupwise calendar and address book in good shape. Between those two apps, I'm reasonably happy with the status quo on my Treo.

-Yvonne
    Yep - I just got a new version of SyncWise Enterprise - it's much faster wireless than the prior version too - however, it doesn't have a "poll" feature, and that's one they need. I've never used the stand-alone SyncWise cause I always used Intellisync - it's just nice that GW users have so many choices now if you ask me <g>.

Danita
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by 600userCA
    Has anyone noticed that getting intellisync v5.3, groupwise 6.5 and the treo 600 to sync the calendar gives problems? I haven't been able to get it to work. If using online mode of Groupwise, hotsync continues to look like its syncing, but never stops. For remote Groupwise sync, I get the error message: "Pilot Connector: Unable to complete translation". Pumatech couldn't help me after waiting in queue for >30 minutes.
    Otherwise, the Palm Desktop syncs w/address, memo, to-dos.
    Help! Thanks
    I was wrong before - using a different version of Intellisync. I just installed 5.3 today and same thing - calendar just spins and spins. I'll open a report with them too just to see.

Danita