Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Also have a Treo 600, bout in October right fro teh Sprint Store in Cambridge, MA. Like the rest of you lots of network troubles recently. caledd Sprint "Go to the store, they'll check it out and get you a new one if need be!" Went to the store in Harvard Square, and got the story that the stores don't deal with this phone. They don't know anything about it, and didn't really seem to care. They said they'd try and learn about the phone and call me. I'm stuck now, am on hold again at Sprint to try and resolve this issue. Yes, ticked off.
    Ok, after bouncing to a couple of folks, I'm getting a NEW treo 600, and another phone and line for free (yes, I pay a lot per month)

And yes, they wanted to send me back to the cambridge store.

We'll see....
    Had replacement ordered at Sprint store on Thursday 02/12/04. Received replacement via UPS at 12:30pm today, Monday 02/16/04. Not bad for turnaround time.
    Restored device via BackupMan. Great utility.
    Called Sprint and got them to switch the number to the new ESN. Probably could have done this myself. They just had me hit ##199316 and enter my phone number in two spots and hit ok. Said phone would not work for two hours. Actually ready to go in two minutes.Phone then automatically provisioned. all this took like five minutes tops. I got the PRL update but have not yet done the Sprint 1.10 Update. I'm not going to unless problems develop. I don't seem to be having the problems the update addresses so I figure why bother for now.
    If I encounter any new issues I'll post them here.
    I had the first one from October 8th till February 12th. Let's see if the new one lasts more than 122 days!
    New one is Refurb. Not sure if bad or good there. Also first was Rev A new is Rev C.
    The only thing that really disturbs me about all this is the fact that even though they have no idea (at least at the Store) what was wrong, they were TOO eager to replace right away. Kind of makes the conspiracy theory thing click in here. Like somewhere up top they know EXACTLY what's going on and they want to swap em out quick before someone gets loud about it.
    Any questions...ask away...
    >, they were TOO eager to replace right away. >Kind of makes the conspiracy theory thing click in >here. Like somewhere up top they know >EXACTLY what's going on and they want to swap >em out quick before someone gets loud about it.

YES! When I finally got to 'customer care' I simply said, "Oh, I have the network search problem on my Treo 600", and he said, "oh yeah..."

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!
    I took my phone back into the sprint store the 2nd time, after being told the first time that it passed all the test. This time, I brought it in with only a 38% battery charge. Well, of course it failed the secret test in the back as I suspected. They said they would send me out a phone asap. Probably a refurb.. oh well. I guess a working phone is better than a new one.

The rep said that he prefers a refurb as they actually test them before sending out as opposed to a new one, which is not. Makes me feel better anyway...
    Originally posted by smartphone
    I took my phone back into the sprint store the 2nd time, after being told the first time that it passed all the test. This time, I brought it in with only a 38% battery charge. Well, of course it failed the secret test in the back as I suspected. They said they would send me out a phone asap. Probably a refurb.. oh well. I guess a working phone is better than a new one.

The rep said that he prefers a refurb as they actually test them before sending out as opposed to a new one, which is not. Makes me feel better anyway...
    Well it's great that they test the refurbs, but here's the bad news: The refurb phone only has 90-day warranty!! That's right, for having to go through the trouble of having a defective phone for a few weeks (finally only working when I kept it plugged in), and having to schlep over to the Sprint store for the secret test (went to a new NYC store heavy on the promo--the tech offered a replacement without testing--this after I begged and was turned down on the phone with CSR multiple times)--now I lose the last 6 months of my warranty.

So after 90 days if the phone becomes defective, I have to use my phone insurance to replace it, I get docked $30 and can't lose another for 6 months or it's not covered. All this when I still should have a one year warranty!!

ARRRRRRRRRGH!
    Mine just started the network searching yesterday. Starts when the battery is at ~35% . I've had a 600 since Oct but this one since December (replaced by lockline and is not a refurb surprisingly). Can't wait to go to the Sprint Store.

Also I think someone at sprint doesn't know what they're talking about (shockingly) concerning the warranty. The handspring warranty is 90 days for a replacement or the remainder of your original warrany period, whichever is longer.
    I got the refurbished replacement today.

Should I do the update?
    Do the update.
    You'll need it eventually, might as well just bite the bullet and get the bugs worked out if there are any.
    I've done it twice without repercussions --on two different Treo 600s, one via my PC at work and another via my Mac at home.
    Originally posted by TreoTheo

Well it's great that they test the refurbs, but here's the bad news: The refurb phone only has 90-day warranty!! That's right, for having to go through the trouble of having a defective phone for a few weeks (finally only working when I kept it plugged in), and having to schlep over to the Sprint store for the secret test (went to a new NYC store heavy on the promo--the tech offered a replacement without testing--this after I begged and was turned down on the phone with CSR multiple times)--now I lose the last 6 months of my warranty.

So after 90 days if the phone becomes defective, I have to use my phone insurance to replace it, I get docked $30 and can't lose another for 6 months or it's not covered. All this when I still should have a one year warranty!!

ARRRRRRRRRGH!
    Once again, leave it to Sprint CSRs to get it wrong. Also the printed insert with the unit did not mention "whichever is longer," which is what initially had me worried.

Here are the appropriate sections from the Handspring Warranty and here is the link.

I suggest you download a copy of the link for future reference if you've had to replace a phone under warranty.

As you can see, you may have to accept a reconditioned or repaired device.

And, it looks like you may have to fight Sprint over technicalities (new owner) unspecified...

Remedies.
    Handspring shall, at its discretion, either replace the product with a comparable product,
    repair the product, or refund the purchase price paid for the product. Replacement products may be new
    or reconditioned.

Warranty Period.
    The warranty period is one (1) year from your date of purchase. Handspring warrants
    any replaced or repaired product for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of shipment back to you, or
    through the end of the original warranty period, whichever is longer.
    Add another victim to the dreaded "Network search" and "Battery drain" issue.

I just started getting the network search messages (when the signal meter shows full strength mind you) about a week ago. Until then everything was rosy!

Now I get the message about 3-4 times per day and my battery life drains VERY quickly. 5 minutes surfing Yahoo cost me 8% battery life. Not a pretty picture.

I am Rev. B and did the 1.10 update.

I had no problems pre-1.10 update and will be contacting Sprint today to get this sorted out. I travel a lot and need a reliable phone.

I'll update progress.
    Got hit hard and heavy beginning on Tue, 2/17. (See my post at http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t48787/s.html )

Thanks to forum members I knew exactly what to tell the Store Tech to be able to get it correctly tested (failed 11 out of 17 tests) and get a replacement ordered.

He even suggested bringing in the replacement to be tested before I send back my original phone.

Better service than I expected but I do wish they were more aware of the scope of this problem. Initially he wanted to blame this on 3rd party software.
    Update. Took my phone into the Sprint store on 2/17. Told him I had the "Network Search Problem". The guy working apologized that a technician wasn't working that day, and no one could look at it therefore ALL he could do for me was send me a new phone. He was very willing to replace it and the only thing he did to test it was turn it on. Had a new one on my doorstep at 2/19.

For those in Atlanta this was the sprint store at 1925 Peachtree Road.
    Just found this post.

I am having the same issue. I don't understand why Sprint makes it sound like I am the only human on the earth with this issue. Why didn't I check TreoCentral first. Whhhhyyyy?

Anyway, took it to the store. Waited in line. They tested overnight or something. Waited in line to get my phone. They said they had to order me a refurb Gotta deal with what I can get.

Guess it'll get here Monday or something.
    I believe that the extended battery that is attached to my 600 is cause of my Network Search problems. I tried making a call with the battery and always got a Network Search message. After removing the battery pack i was able to make calls with no problem. I'm in NYC. The Sprint CSR stated that between Feb 1 and Feb 23 the new IBM back bone is being integrated into their system and that is the cause of the problems. (LOL) I did not tell him about the X battery though.

Don't be a dummy, buckle your safety belt.
    I purchased my T600 the first day they went on sale online. I run Goodlink software on the machine and I have used the phone non-stop 8-12 hours a day. The phone has been incredible. Not even a hiccup.

Three days ago I installed the system upgrade. The phone has been worthless for the last 48 hours - I will admit, it could be a coincidence.

1 in 10 calls dial. The calls that complete will drop within 5 minutes of connection. I have had to de-activate the network time feature. No matter what I do, it puts me in the wrong time zone.

I can't even try to use the external keyboard as with-out fail, it will hard-reset the machine within 10 minutes.

I had almost convinced one of my co-workers to abandon her RIM for a Treo, but now I borrow her blackberry throughout the day as my Treo has become an expensive paper-weight.

I'll join the ranks of those asking for a replacement.
    I can now confirm the extended battery as being part of my problem. I made 3 phone calls with and 3 without the Xbattery and the Network Search popped up every time I had the xbattery attached and calls connected once I removed the it. I do also think that the 1.10 update has a whole lot to do with it.

Hardware Rev C
    PRL 10021
    Mobile Protocal Rev 6
    Don't be a dummy, buckle your safety belt.
    I bought my Treo 600 the first week it came
    out, directly from Handspring. It worked
    great the first three months.
    Then in January I started getting the
    Network Search problem. I called
    Handspring and they had me do a
    hard reset and it worked for a week.
    Then it did it again. I called Handspring
    again and another hard reset. Once again
    it worked a few days. Then network
    search again.
    Handspring would no longer help me, since
    I am a Sprint customer, I would need to talk
    to Sprint, even though I bought the Treo
    directly from Handspring.
    I talked to Sprint and they agreed to send
    a replacement, but out of stock, so it would
    take about 2 weeks.
    I went to Best Buy and bought a new one
    and bought their extended service contract.
    This one works great so far, about 2 weeks.
    I have not yet received the replacement
    from Sprint.
    Silver Guy in Greater Cincinnati
    Sprint Treo 600
    Took the advice of a previous poster on this issue and banged the phone on my steering while while having the Network Search interlude. Worked! Problem stopped for the rest of the day. Also noticed that during the problem periods, there was a some intermittent buzz/pop noises in the headset while calls were being dropped. When I smacked the phone, it popped a bit, but subsequently quit making the noises. Sorry if this is incoherent... but...

btw, only did this because I was expecting my refurb the Sprint store sent me that day... HP test bombed as advertised; replaced in 72 hours.

Your mileage may vary..

S.
    I bought the first T600 delivered to the Philadelphia region. Have loved it for 5 months. Updated the software about 3-4 weeks ago.

Now I get the same "Network Search" problem everyone else has.

Look, I don't expect a fairly complex piece of equipment to work perfectly forever. However, when a problem like this is so widescale, I think it is incumbent on Sprint/Handspring to go out and send us an email or put something on the Handspring/Sprint website saying "Hey, we know there is a problem, here are steps 1, 2, 3... to solve it." Instead, the CSR's and Sprint Store people try to make you feel like an ***** for saying that there is something wrong.

Hopefully someone from Sprint/Handspring reads this board and rethinks about their views on customer support.
    StevenB
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast