Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Unfortunately I had to return my Treo 600 today because of a bad noise during calls. This noise is not hearable for the Treo user, just for the other person. The service guy on the phone was not surprised about my problem description, he told me he knew about this with some GSM Treo's. He gave me a RMA number and told me to send it back with UPS to get a new one on Friday. Lets see if I will have the same prob again. Curious, the problem occurs - similar to the display prob with the 270 - only within the first weeks or never. I heard about three other owners with the same prob. All are using GSM versions ... perhaps a bug T-Mo is informed about?
    RTFM
    Unfortunately, I have the same problem.

It's not something that I can hear. But, unfortunately, it's more than obvious to the people you're talking to. It's been described by some as a "high-pitched buzzing".

It doesn't appear to matter whether you're using the earpiece with your Treo 600 or not.

I suppose I'll call Handspring support also.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Yes, call HS support very soon.

The service guy told me they will send out a brandnew device within 30 days after your purchase. After these 30 days they are going to repair the device .... what could took about 4 weeks!!!
    RTFM
    Well, I called them, and they had me hard reset the phone (after backing up). This _appeared_ to work for a short while -- at least for the day or so I tested.

In fact, I had one 2 hour call, which appeared to be clear - notwithstanding the usual cell static and pops. After I synced, all kinds of problems came back - which could have been a coincidence, who knows? So, I am back to the 'buzzing/whining' sound that people are complaining about.

Anyway, I am calling them again. Hopefully, this will get resolved. Kinda frustrating, to have a $500 phone which sucks on calls!

The other I notice is that I definitely need a good headset, hopefully, with good noise cancellation. Is it my imagination, or does the Treo pickup way more environmental noise, than the average phone. On the plus side, what I _hear_ is much clearer than with my previous Motorola cell.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I got my Treo back today . All the probs seem to be away. Great speech quality. It seems they did a firmware upgrade to version 2.08.

You'll find a link to the upgrade and an installation instruction
    here.

Cheers
    Oliver
    RTFM
    Interesting thread you linked to.

Well, I'm actually getting a new one from Cingular this Friday. Hopefully, it will have a new firmware revision. I checked my phone info, and I currently have:
    Firmware 02.02,
    Software Treo600-1.06-CNG
    Hardware B

I have noticed that I _can_ hear a buzz/hum on my side, but only under very quiet conditions. I was standing on my friend's outside balcony last night, and could hear a low level background buzz/hum on the phone. In my office, or in my car, it's not audible, unless you've heard it before, and know what your'e listening for.

Actually, I'm gratified that you did get a different rev of the firmware. At least, I have the _hope_ that they fixed the problems(s), rather than a hit/miss/hope you don't have the problem again.

Thanks.
    Geez, I haven't had these nightmarish complaints with my Treo 600. These whining/buzzing sounds were really apparent with most of the GSM mobile phones I've used with AT&T Wireless. The Treo 600 has been the BEST GSM unit I've use via AT&T Wireless.......so far, considering the late migration from digital to GSM. I would have been more happy if AT&T didn't charge $499.99 to their existing customers, and that's with the minuscle $50.00 rebate!
    "What good is a smartphone when it's MORE smart and LESS phone?"
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Geraldo
    I have noticed that I _can_ hear a buzz/hum on my side, but only under very quiet conditions. I was standing on my friend's outside balcony last night, and could hear a low level background buzz/hum on the phone. In my office, or in my car, it's not audible, unless you've heard it before, and know what your'e listening for.
    Yes, thats exactly what I noticed too. And the good news: ITS GONE

Hope you'll have the same luck!
    RTFM
    I am waiting excitedly for noon tomorrow, when I get my replacement Treo 600 from Cingular :-D

However, on a different note, my current Treo 600 is getting worse. The frequency of the buzzing sound on calls has increased, and the sound is often _very_ pronounced. I can clearly hear it under office conditions. I can only imagine how annoying it is to the other side.

Probably a sign that it's going to kick the bucket at some point ;-)
    So, I managed to get replacement Treo 600 yesterday afternoon, though the firmware rev, etc. are still the same:
    Firmware 02.02
    Software Treo600-1.06-CNG
    Hardware B

Thus far, no problems, but that's how my original Treo started out also. I probably don't need to do this, but I'm going to uninstall my Treo sync app on my XP laptop, and start from scratch.

Here's the interesting part:
    I was told by two separate Cingular people, that they got an email yesterday morning stating that Palm had asked them to stop selling the Treo 600, and send existing stock back, due to sound quality problems with:
    1. voice calls in general
    2. speakerphone

At this point, they don't have an ETA from Palm as to when the problem(s) might be resolved.

The sales guy I deal with gave me a choice, and said: "we can swap your unit out, but no guarantee, based on what we're hearing, that your problem might not re-occur. The other option is that we can also just give you a refund."

So, I decided to take one of their stock Treo 600 units as a swap anyway, and see how this turns out. I really, really want to keep this phone! Guess we'll see.