Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hola peeps, this is my first post so be gentle...

I am anxiously awaiting my Treo 600 (Fedex says it'll be here in two hours) and I have already purchased my memory card. SanDisk 256mb to be exact.

My question is: should I format the card prior to inserting it into the Treo, or should I let the Treo handle it?

I did alreay search for the answer, but I'm getting a bajillion hits. Can one of you learned type clue me in??

Thanks,
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Welcome to TC, first and foremost. I've put in two different types of cards including Sandisk and Lexar without formatting whatsoever. I have yet to have any problems.
    Treo Moblog: http://nudle.textamerica.com
    Just pop in in the Treo and let the Palm OS do the formatting.

-- Vikram
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
    Hi Craig,

Kevin from palmOne here. This is taken from page 120 of the User Guide:

Formatting an Extension Card:

Formatting an extension card is similar to formatting a diskette on a computer.
    When you format an expansion card, you erase all the data stored on the card and return it to a blank state.

1. Insert the expansion card into the expansion slot. The Applications Launcher automatically appears.

2. Choose the pick list in the upper-right corner, then select All.

3. Choose the Card Info icon.

4. Press Menu.

5. From the Card menu, choose Format Card (/F).

6. Type a new name for the card.

7. Choose OK.

Hope that helps.

Best

Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out whatís new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    I don't format them at all. The Treo does it when you stick the card du jour in the slot. I just put in a new sandisk 512 sd card in and it immediately added Palm/launcher onto the disk. However the disk does not carry a name or volume until it is added. Quite cool tp buy, plu, play..........
    JON
    I've got a Gateway desktop that's got a handy little built-in card reader where the A: drive usually goes, and after transferring a couple of things to my SD card on the Treo, I put the SD card in the Gateway. It crashed it.

I ended up on the phone with Gateway tech support, and they directed me to restart the Gateway in safe mode, then format the SD card on the PC. So I had to put the SD card back in the Treo, copy the stuff I'd saved on it back to the Treo's main memory, and then format the card on the Gateway.

I put it back in the Treo 600, and it now works fine on both machines.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thanks for the insight folks. Got my Treo around 2:30PM and let it charge for about 6 hours.

I got most of my applications installed onto the card, set my preferences up the way I like 'em, installed pTunes...
    (listening to Keb' Mo' right now) No problems with the SD card so far.

Now I need a case and a cradle and headphones!!!

BTW, Kevin from Palmone... that page *108*
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams