Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I noted above that I only experienced this problem with speakerphone, but today I was hit three calls in a row using the regular phone, no earjack or speakerphone. In all three I was in a spot with poor reception, my house (alas), consistent with the theory that it is poor reception that causes it. One of the screeches lasted a good five seconds - enough time to have a caller hang up.
    Just IMO, I don't think it's going to do anyone much good to have their units replaced by HS, so you can save yourself the trouble. I had a different problem on my first T600 (nothing to do with screeching - mic was dead), but experienced the "screeching," and on the fully-functional replacement unit I got, it's still there. I think the only thing that might fix this is a software update.

On the plus side, wireless data speeds on this T600 are at least twice what I usually got on my 270 - same carrier (T-Mobile), same plan.

S
    I've been using my non-branded T600 in LA for at least a month on T-Mobile with no problems. I was in Germany and London last week and it worked great and the data was flawless as well. Then this week I am in NYC and I have had it happen 3 times already! Man is it loud! Could it be a problem limited to NYC or certain areas?
  4.    #24  
    So- now have my replacement up and running and am still having the screech problem. Hope there is a fix for this- it is really very disturbing.
    same screeching problem - only seems to happen in NYC though. happens most often when calling voicemail. have had a Cingular model running on T-mobile for 2 weeks and have traveled to Boston & DC in the last week and had no screeching there. i thought it was something I had done wrong - now I will call both HS and T-Mobile (both by the way are supporting the 600 and both admit that there should be NO problems using the unlocked cingular version on T-mobile)

adam

ps......damn loud and certainly enough to hurt your ears - HS better come up with a software fix soon or they could get in big trouble - imagine when this happens to someone with a hearing aid for instance
    Any news?
  7.    #27  
    Hasn't been enough time to deal with this problem. Waited on HS support the other day for 22 minutes and then my Treo lost the signal (ARGH! Curse you T-Mobile!) and dropped the call. That's what I get for calling support from the cell...

I can only say that this is a signifigant and consistent issue for me here in NYC and one that is making me reconsider this phone. At least FIVE times a day I get an absolutely piercing, shrill screech through my handset. I'm going to Chicago and LA for the holiday and Monday and am very curious to see if it occurs there. Most posts here seem to indicate it is a problem mostly in NYC but I find that hard to believe. We'll see. I'm hoping that an update will take care of it. I found the one from Italy

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t44757/s.html

but am ambivalent about trying it as it seems to address only the problems with the Italian Treo's.

Going to try again with HS support today. What a way to spend a Saturday. More news as it breaks.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Thanks Genetic Jack for looking into the issue. I also experience the problem in the Detroit area and I am startng to suspect it to be an issue when there is a stronger 850 mhz GSM signal (with Cingular or AT&T) and the Treo is trying to determine the appropriate signal to connect to which is 1900 mhz for T-Mobile. I have not heard of anyone in Europe experiencing this problem.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  9.    #29  
    So I just got off the phone w/ both HS and T-Mobile support. I filed a trouble ticket with the T-Mobile CSR and he is forwarding to the engineers. He and the HS rep both seem to think this is a network problem and not a device problem which is consistent with my experience of it. I will let you know what/if I hear from the TMO engineers. The HS rep said that if all goes as planned, a major ROM update is coming in January that will resolve a lot of the smaller issues. My hope is that it will help with this one as well.

JHETZEL- Interesting to hear that this is an issue in Detroit as well. Your theory seems really valid but that said, what the hell do I know about this stuff?

I'll update after I've tried Chicago and LA's networks a little bit.

BTW- what heck does BUMP mean? Color me ignorant but I can't quite figure it out and there isn't any key to indicate that phrase's proper usage. Something like "any update?"? Please educate me!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Genetic Jack
    BTW- what heck does BUMP mean? Color me ignorant but I can't quite figure it out and there isn't any key to indicate that phrase's proper usage. Something like "any update?"? Please educate me!
    It is just a way to get a post back to the top of the forum to get more attention or keep it from getting forgotten.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by JHETZEL

It is just a way to get a post back to the top of the forum to get more attention or keep it from getting forgotten.
    Oh- well then-

BUMP!

Thanks.
    So I just got off the phone w/ both HS and T-Mobile support. I filed a trouble ticket with the T-Mobile CSR and he is forwarding to the engineers. He and the HS rep both seem to think this is a network problem and not a device problem which is consistent with my experience of it. I will let you know what/if I hear from the TMO engineers. The HS rep said that if all goes as planned, a major ROM update is coming in January that will resolve a lot of the smaller issues. My hope is that it will help with this one as well.
    This is good news. Please keep us all informed (about both the squeal and the Tmo firmware update)
    JHETZEL- Interesting to hear that this is an issue in Detroit as well. Your theory seems really valid but that said, what the hell do I know about this stuff? I'll update after I've tried Chicago and LA's networks a little bit.
    As another data point (from a fellow NYC person who travels a lot) I have only heard the squeal once since I replied to your original message weeks ago, and it happened in Nashville. I haven't had a single squeal here in NYC, or while I was in DC. My guess as to the cause of the squeal is that the phone is unmuting early, before the data holding the audio is fully setup, but after the control info has been passed. It only happens when a call is "set up", and stops as soon as its "connected". In any case, my guess not withstanding , I haven't heard it in a long while.

We'll see. I'm hoping that an update [of the firmware] will take care of it. I found the one from Italy...<lots snipped>
    I updated mine, with zero problems, and all is well. But I hadn't had a squeal in a while before I updated, and I haven't had one since, so that proves nothing (w.r.t. the squeal and the firmware).

I have had GPRS problems the past three days here in midtown (times square), but the first two days TMo told me it was definitely their problem, and yesterday (when it wasn't working), they reset me in their system (whatever that really means), and it's been fine ever since. I get 6K/sec consistantly here when the GPRS is up; not quite as fast as my Verizon data, which is more like 10K/Sec, but just fine for my needs.

Bill S
    More squeals in NYC. Had them a couple of times as well over the last couple of weeks, always on regular phone mode as I hardly use the speakerphone. Scared the wax out of my ear the first time around, so now I keep the sucker well away from my ear canal.

Have called t-mo and added my incident ticket to GJ's. According to them, it's "a known network issue across the country right now". It also appears to be happening to all types of handsets, not just Treos. If any one else decides to call in as well, there is a "screeching tracking code" that the CSR's are using.

They'll want to know locations, example phone numbers that you were dialing to/from, and will attempt to call you within 72 hours with a resolution, or an answer.

I'll post any follow-ups.
    Hi guys!

I am currenly on my second Cingular Treo 600. I have had similar speaker screeching on my phone (both while receiving and making calls).

I have had the Italian v2.08 firmware upgrade installed for a little over a week and haven't experienced ANY screeching yet (normally it would happen to me at least once a day)!

Sure, I've noticed some other things like the camera focusing much more quickly and faster GPRS speeds, but just being rid of the speaker squeal makes it all woth it for me!
    I have definitely had a lot less screeching over the last few days - it used to happen a couple times per day but now has only happened 2x in the last 5 days. Interestingly enough, my brother complained of a loud screech on his T-mobile phone today and he has a nokia....

adam
    Treo 600 screeching horribly at times in western North Carolina on Cingular. Seems to happen more often after a GPRS data session while green connection arrows are shown (maybe a data connection issue).
    Callers also hear an echo on their end which is worse when using the full install car kit.
    Cingular has no answers (call handspring).
    I am in central NC with Cingular and also have the screeching problem about every other day. Cannot pinpoint a cause. I am waiting on a software update from Handspring to solve the problem.

John
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    im on sprint and it happnes to me a number of times during phone calls...so far only noticed it on speakerphone
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I was experiencing the screech every other day, so I broke down on 12/23 and installed the 2.08 firmware. Since then I have not heard it and benefited from slightly improved RF and sound quality.

I am just trying to determin if the FW solved the prob or if it just went away on its own. BTW, am using a Cingularized GSM Treo on T-Mobile network.
    Last edited by JHETZEL; 12/27/2003 at 07:31 PM.
    Did you notice any other functionality change from 2.08?

I haven't had a screech in over a week with no update.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast