1.    #1  
    The good news: Apparently, Vision will be getting a speed upgrade next year via some new compression software.

The bad news: SMS is now reported to be coming online in February or March.

Check out this Gizmodo posting on the subject: http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/010917.php#010917

Nick & Co. are usually pretty accurate with their intel.
    BLAAAAAAAAAA!! Feb/March? That's terrible news! Dammit, I wish Sprint would hurry up already. I hate not having SMS on my Treo600 yet and I've holding off buying Treo600SMS for percisely this reason! *sigh*

Anyway, I wonder what the new compression codec will mean in actual real world speeds? How will it compare with EDGE for example etc?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I'm wondering if this new compression method will increase our speeds at all, as we're proxy-less. My guess is that it'll only free up some bandwidth as non-t600 phones will use less.

But maybe it's their actual transfer speeds that will be increased, so we get more towards the 144kbps rather than the 75kbps average.
    i was wondering when wed start to see sprint speeding up or improving their service. heck, if they do this, they might just come close to shaking that horrible reputation theyve gotten over the years.
    well, im psyched. hope its significant speed increase and not just a minimal improvement! fingers are crossed
    the delay in sms is disappointing, however.
    Maybe I have this wrong, but my impression is that the intercarrier SMS gateways are so slow and unreliable that you can't really count on an SMS message being delivered.

As it is now, I send email to the carrier gateway of my SMS-enabled friends' accounts, and I get email back. By connecting straight to their carrier to send I am pretty well assured that my message will get through. I can send to anybody's phone, and get responses to my messages.

What do I need "official" SMS from Sprint for?
    Originally posted by grib
    What do I need "official" SMS from Sprint for?
    How about simply because they advertise it as a feature of the plans we're paying for? Anyone try asking for a credit because part of the advertised service isn't yet available? No way to know it until you buy/activate your phone, and then try it! What would the FTC think?
    I've been using Treo600SMS for week now and have had no reliability issues. There's usually a delay ranging from a few seconds to a couple of minutes, but that's the worst I can say about it. It beats going through a web-based SMS gateway or trying to remember the messaging domain name of each carrier.
    Rgh, I just want them to get SMS finished, fu*k faster Vision for now, I have DSL for that.
    How about simply because they advertise it as a feature of the plans we're paying for? Anyone try asking for a credit because part of the advertised service isn't yet available? No way to know it until you buy/activate your phone, and then try it! What would the FTC think?

Sprint has Short Mail available now, which gives them a convenient out. Before SM they used to credit customers the cost of Treo300SMS since Sprint initially advertised SMS send capability (it was in their original user manual for the T300 -- I still have the PDF) and had no workaround. Now they claim that SMS is possible via Short Mail, so they won't extend a credit to cover the cost of Treo600SMS.

$20 is cheap enough for my peace of mind. I can't imagine waiting a minute longer for Sprint to deliver SMS, and certainly not until (allegedly) March.
    I too have the Treo600SMS and I'm baffled as to why anyone is still complaining about Sprint's sms. The Treo mail program is perfect. It even lets you do a lookup from your contact list. In my opinon, the Sprint mail problem was completely solved the day TreoCentral.com offered their mail client, and even better, it's free!
    I'm going to have to agree. Pay the money and buy T600SMS, totally worth the conveinance and it works great. So you spend an extra $20. If you can buy a Treo 600 I'm sure the cost of the software is not going to set you back.

Josh
    $20??? You can get it for free right here:
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

I know it's a beta, but seems to work just fine for me! Just don't forget this note:

Update: There appears to be a small bug with this version of mail. When setting up accounts, one can only select to create an account with AT&T Worldnet, BellSouth, Comcast, Earthlink, SBC, or Yahoo. On the GSM version there is also an Other setting. However, one can still use any pop server, as Brooose writes "You can set up email accounts that are not on the drop down list. In the initial setup, pretend it is a yahoo account. Once it is set up, from the main menu, select edit account. Choose the yahoo account and edit. You can then rename it and manually configure the incoming and outgoing servers."
    Sorry, just to make it clear, this program is only for SPRINT users. :-)
    I already bought Treo600SMS, but I am aggrivated at the fact that I had to buy it in the first place because Sprint didnt include it to begin with.
    A few weeks back I posted on this exact same topic, with the general tone of 'don't waste time or energy bi***ing about waiting on Sprint's SMS - just get Treo600SMS and be done with it'. And now that they've delayed their official SMS rollout, that mentality makes even MORE sense.

And I've had little to no issues sending SMS to other carriers' users. They get them right away, and I get their replies right away.

All good. Get Treo600SMS and be done with this.
    BTW, The official release date forSMS IS, june 4th 2004...
    OOOOPS...
    January 4th...
    Originally posted by MtnManiacX
    $20??? You can get it for free right here:
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

I know it's a beta, but seems to work just fine for me! Just don't forget this note:

Link seems to be under review.

Anyways, anyone ever think about going back to the $10/mo for wireless web and save the $5 each month for thigns like treo600sms which is a beautifully working program (i dont know why sprint cant beat 3rd parties on this function), and forget picture mail, you can attach pictures and files using Treo Mail.

Besides that, you can pretty much do everything else with just the $10 unlimited vision plan correct?

I take that back...i just tried sending a picture attached and it sent it as:

"--boundary000100E7000878F9
    Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="j&j.jpg"
    Content-transfer-encoding: base64

/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/............................."

How is eudora at sending atachments? and other send/recieve functions?