Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Originally posted by mrfred8

You know you can get a data only plan on a month to month basis with ATT. Thats what I did until I can get it unlocked and go with TMobile. Sure cant use the phone, but I am still having fun with it.

After you signed up, did you call AT&T and see if they would unlock the phone? Sounds like no one else has had any luck so far, but maybe you'll reach a sympathetic rep.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

After you signed up, did you call AT&T and see if they would unlock the phone? Sounds like no one else has had any luck so far, but maybe you'll reach a sympathetic rep.
    No, they will not unlock under any circumstances.

No, they will not unlock under any circumstances.
    Too bad.

Posters here at Treocentral saved me from ordering an AT&T Treo 600 a few weeks ago when I read the AT&T phones were locked. I feel your pain.

You know you can get a data only plan on a month to month basis with ATT. Thats what I did until I can get it unlocked and go with TMobile. Sure cant use the phone, but I am still having fun with it.
    Hmm...the bad part is I live in an area where I cant get ATT service if I wanted to.

It isnt available here....

I cant even try the data
    "DOS addresses only 1 Megabyte of RAM because we cannot imagine any applications needing more." --Microsoft, 1980, on the development of DOS.

Short sited-ness is a funny thing....
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by randyg
    ive got my unlock code! from T-mo! Called them last night, gave them my info. Just got an email from them with my unlock code and instructions. Now for the bad news...i'm in ATL and my new 600 is at home in TPA!! So, as soon as I get home on sunday morning & try it i'll post my results. Could I have a few positive thoughts here? And...am I the only one that's tried this approach?
    Well, as has been posted here already by others, this process did not work. Tried the number as directed and zilch. Called T-Mo and they said they are unable to unlock the 600 and not sure why i was sent a code in the first place. They suggested calling ATT for an unlock code and if that failed then to get the Cingular version. Well, ATT won't unlock the 600 (no big news there) and i'm not waiting for another 600 to come in the mail so i'm jumping ship. Hate to do it, only because it's a hassle, but i've got no contract or loyalty to T-Mo so i'm outta there. I just want this baby working!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Originally posted by randyg

Well, as has been posted here already by others, this process did not work. Tried the number as directed and zilch. Called T-Mo and they said they are unable to unlock the 600 and not sure why i was sent a code in the first place. They suggested calling ATT for an unlock code and if that failed then to get the Cingular version. Well, ATT won't unlock the 600 (no big news there) and i'm not waiting for another 600 to come in the mail so i'm jumping ship. Hate to do it, only because it's a hassle, but i've got no contract or loyalty to T-Mo so i'm outta there. I just want this baby working!

Were you still able to get the unlimited data for $19.99 on AT&T? Someone posted here that that rate was an offer that had "expired".
    With no unlocking for my ATT Treo on the horizon and with ATT not budging on their data plans (spoke to two CS people there and no sign of a 19.95 unlimited plan for consumers or business), it looks like my best best is to return the Treo to Handspring before the 30 days are up and go back to my S46 for a few months until things shake out. Anyone feel more optimistic than me on these issues?
    I just requested a refund from gsmlocker.com. If they do not honor my request then I guess I'll be going to my credit card company. I highly doubt they had this unlocking procedure mastered before making such grand promises. In any case, has anyone else made a successful refund request?
    I just rung gsmlocker.com after getting no replies to my email requests for a refund. They asked me to email cs@fommy.com requesting the refund. The guy also said they weren't expecting the Treo 600 unlock til the 2nd now.

I don't want to pay $100 (or $150 now) when its likely the other websites will have the unlock at the same time for $30.
    Vulcan,

Thanks for the information. I just emailed customer service at fommy.com and hopefully, there will be a positive response.
    Well, like many of you, I am tired of waiting... I called handspring this afternoon and requested a RMA. handspring was pretty cool about it, and when csr asked for reason, i told him the sad story about not getting unlimited data service on at&t. he said he and his mgr are also waiting for t-mobile version of treo-600. Based on his source, it is most likely to be unlock version like the cingular.

He couldn't tell me the release date because handspring is keeping a tight lip. may be because everyone wants to return the At&t version???

I will wait for t-mobile version....
    Well I've had two responses from gsmlocker.com indicating/promising to have the unlock code by next Wednesday. ie another week.
    Originally posted by giggsy
    With no unlocking for my ATT Treo on the horizon and with ATT not budging on their data plans (spoke to two CS people there and no sign of a 19.95 unlimited plan for consumers or business), it looks like my best best is to return the Treo to Handspring before the 30 days are up and go back to my S46 for a few months until things shake out. Anyone feel more optimistic than me on these issues?
    Giggsy,

I would suggest you get an RMA # from Handspring first, so you will be within the 30 days. Then take another week to return the phone... depends how far you are from their drop-off center. they gave me a local handspring repair center which is 20 min away from my house.

I am going to wait till friday to see if others have luck with unlocking.
    I wrote the guys @ gsmlocker.com an email saying basically "I was happy to pay a premium if they were first, etc nail down a date or please refund", they've come back saying the 2nd of Jan or a refund will be given.
    Thanks to a few who were unlocked from Orange, we know the general sequence.
    *#*#(8 numbers)# dial
    I entered a randomed set of 8 on my at&t phone and got the message "LOCKED. The SIM Lock has NOT been removed from this phone," so it looks like the sequence is the same for us too. Therefore, isn't it possible to write an app that just dials all possibilities? However, one major problem is that 4 numbers and 9 numbers all produce the same message. So such a program would have to start with just one digit and work up. At any rate, i figure it's worth a shot. Hopefully someone out there has the skill to code such an app.

-Cobs
    Handspring already thougt of that. After the 3rd attempt at unlocking the Treo responds "SIM unlocked", then disables the radio until the Treo is reset or the SIM removed. This prevents any brute force attempts.

A brute force attempt would require 2 hits, then force a reset, then 2 more hits, then reset again and so on.
    Damn.
    Just in case it helps anyone figure this out, when I'm in wireless mode off anything I enter responds with locked. When I have wireless on, but no service it responds "unlocked."

cobs
    I just purchased a new AT&T locked 600 from a guy on Ebay for $500. His ad stated that it could be unlocked and used on Cingular (which is who I use). Hell, he even provided a link to unlockyourgsm.com. And now I see that they've pushed off the date for unlocking.
    I'm just glad I'm not the only one who has the same problem and that I have such a large support group.

I should have my Treo 600 tomorrow. God....I can wait to get it in my hand so I can look at it. Sounds like thats all I'll be doing with it for a while.
    We are all right there with you. All of us are awaiting some news and hopefully a reasonable unlock price for our treasured treos.
    Fed Ex delivered my 600 today. Charged it and went threw the titorial. Quite an empressive little device. To bad a cant make any calls on it. I'm going to Cailfornia next week and it sure would have been nice to take it with me. If someone doesnt come up with a way to unlock this thing soon, I'm just going to have to make the switch over to AT&T. Not so painful now that I can take my Cingular number with me.
    unlockyourgsm.com stated on the website last week that they would beable to unlock our 600's by 12/30/03. I see they've removed that claim.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast