Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by touchdown
    Seems price has changed a bit (now $149.99) for the treo600 unlocking service from http://www.gsmlocker.com/treo600unlock.asp .

Anyone received a code from them yet?
    Hi guys,

I'm not in the best position to judge (Orange GSM carrier) but don't you think that 149 bucks is a bit too heavy......

I know it's not nice to have a Treo 600 as expensive paperweight but for $149 you can buy a nice intermediar phone and wait until the heat comes of.

Holy cow they charge you almost 30% of your buying price. I guess this gsmlocker guy used to work for Microsoft...

I feel really sorry for you guys!

Ton
    Well, Im with AT&T....not Orange....

I pretty much paid my ceiling when I paid 99.00 so Im feeling pretty good for having gotten into this at 99 on Thursday....

If it doesnt work Im gonna run these guys down on every board I visit and post on....I might even start posting on some NEW ones for that....

hehehe
    "DOS addresses only 1 Megabyte of RAM because we cannot imagine any applications needing more." --Microsoft, 1980, on the development of DOS.

Short sited-ness is a funny thing....
    Originally posted by Tonio78370

Hi guys,

I'm not in the best position to judge (Orange GSM carrier) but don't you think that 149 bucks is a bit too heavy......

I know it's not nice to have a Treo 600 as expensive paperweight but for $149 you can buy a nice intermediar phone and wait until the heat comes of.

Holy cow they charge you almost 30% of your buying price. I guess this gsmlocker guy used to work for Microsoft...

I feel really sorry for you guys!

Ton
    I have a feeling someone else will provide this service too soon, and it will probably cost less than $149.

These guys are not getting my $149.99, that's for sure...
    Im feeling better about jumping on my 99 deal all the time....

If it works...hehehe
    "DOS addresses only 1 Megabyte of RAM because we cannot imagine any applications needing more." --Microsoft, 1980, on the development of DOS.

I am on the phone right now with a rep a gsmlocker.com....

Details to follow.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I was told around noon, your time for when the Treo 600 unlock codes for orders placed Thursday might be in....Any word?"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** You are now speaking with Chriss, Sales. **
    Chriss : paul we were about to call you right now, we have a good news for you
    Paul : whew.....good
    Chriss : We have got the first code for your IMEI, we need s MSN number for your mobile
    Paul : sorry for bugging you guys....just eager to use this thing
    Chriss : also another good news now the service is 149.99
    Paul : what is an MSN?
    Chriss : so you saved 49.99
    Paul : I heard
    Chriss : i will elt you know,
    Chriss : wat is ur number right now
    Paul : I am at ********** right now
    Paul : this treo is not activatedd and does not have a number
    Paul : but ********** is where I am now
    Chriss : i am calling you back
    Chriss : hi my counter part in gone somewhere in germany
    Chriss : the intstructions he has given me to enter the msn into your phone is not right
    Paul : oh...ok
    Paul : is it not *#*#(MSN NUMBER)#?
    Chriss : moment he comes back he will IM me
    Chriss : and then i will call you, let's wait for him
    Paul : (sigh)....ok....
    Chriss : just relax
    Chriss : bye for now

Hmmmmmm...

Bunch of BS... MSN stands for "Mobile Subscriber Number" and is a CDMA term. As a previous poster said in this thread, unlock codes are based on the IMEI. Never heard of a GSM phone needing an MSN on top of the code attached to the IMEI.

I bet they're going to stall as long as they can... good luck!
    I thought MSN was a CDMA term....Just wanted to hear it from somebody else....

Maybe they are stalling but This just gives me something to do while I wait for the TMo phone......

Id be waiting for it anyway if I wasnt trying to unlock this AT&T one....heehehe

There is an MSN number on the box (appears to be just the unit serial number).

Technically we're not cancelling our orders, its that they are unable to supply.
    I really hope these guys come through...but I'm not going to pay $150 for this, that's way too close to the full retail price.

Even if they do come through this smells of fraud(misrepresentation to be polite). As I've seen other phones unlocked it seems that its just a simple algorithm to convert one number to another with maybe a service provider id thrown into the calculation.

They either have the algorithm/program or not. I just don't get the rationale for 3-5 days of "we're working on it".

It seems like these unlocker sites (not just gsmlockers) try to lead customers in with promises hoping to get some committed cash to then bribe(?) someone to get the unlocker program. When this falls through it's then a "technical" problem.....

Sorry, to be negative. Still sitting here with my wife's att treo600 waiting.....
    One thing I did last night was to look up the FCC photos/filing info for the GSM version of the Treo 600.

The photos indicated that the chipset used in the GSM Treo 600 was from Broadcom (CDMA chipset is from Qualcomm) the chipset is the "bcm2121", google confirmed that's the announced chipset for these phones.

I was only able to find one other set of phones that use this chipset.

http://www.chinabird.com/englishver/...productclass=0

This is from a company called "Ningbo Bird" that according to press releases has sold about 7 million phones in China in 2002.

As I read it, some of these phones are the bcm2121 and some are probably an older broadcom chipset. I think the one that says "GPRS" is most likely to be the 2121. That's the SC04.

My theory is that the locking code algorithm is the same/similiar across the chipsets for GSM phones. ie Nokia phones have similar unlock codes across similar product groups etc.

WARNING- I have no clue whether this is true or not! Not a cellular engineer it's just an educated guess.

Is it possible that someone in China/HongKong who has access to an unlock program for these China/Ningbo Bird phones could generate unlock codes for us?

I googled as much as I could last night but my Cantonese/Mandarin is non-existent and I found nothing regarding unlocking for these phones.

I've taken this about as far as I can but if someone speaks some Chinese dialects/ lives in the area and could check it out for all of us it might be worthwhile. Hell, even if we knew how to search for the words "GSM ", "unlock" and "Ningbo Bird" in Chinese it would be great. ; )
    Well....

Just to keep everyone updated....

Since I talked to a tech at abou 11AM

They have seen fit to not repsond to emails or answer the telephone....

I dunno....This guy has a way of making you feel as if you are being unreasonable and impatient....after having waited for 4 DAYS TO GET A PHONE UNLOCKED!!!

(sigh)...man...this thing does one HELL of a job holding that stack of papers on my desk down so the ceiling fan doesn't blow 'em off......hehehe

Oh well....alls well that ends.....WAIT A MINUTE!!...I'm out 100 BUCKS!!

LOL

My guess is these guys are having the same issues as the other unlock sites.

What they're doing is stalling. I'll wait a few days, if they can't beat the other CHEAPER unlock services then I'll cancel the purchase (either that or talk to my credit card company) as they are well and truely in breech of the sales agreement (ie 24 hours from order).

We'll probably find all the unlock sites get it going about the same time.
    Hullo look what I found: http://www.mgunlocks.tk/

deja vu anyone?
    This gsmlocker.com procedure is not looking too positive at the moment. I'm getting more skeptical by the hour. I got a call this morning from a stafff member and he was detailing the unlocking procedure when he ended the conversation prematurely, stating that the unlocking procedure is incorrect and he'll call back in 5 minutes with more details. Needless to say, he hasn't called back.
    Originally posted by t1234hn
    This gsmlocker.com procedure is not looking too positive at the moment. I'm getting more skeptical by the hour. I got a call this morning from a stafff member and he was detailing the unlocking procedure when he ended the conversation prematurely, stating that the unlocking procedure is incorrect and he'll call back in 5 minutes with more details. Needless to say, he hasn't called back.
    Hmm....thats funny....I had the EXACT same phone conversation you described....

Premature termination and everything.....LOL

OK, I've heard back from T-Mobile about unlocking my AT&T treo600. The first email I received had an unlock code, but it didn't work. (It was created using the same method as the treo300). Here is what the second email said:
    T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
    Sim Unlock Reference: 012XXXX
    IMEI: 010215000XXXXXX

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time because the given IMEI is shown as "Unknown" in our SIM Unlock Database.

To ensure that we have the correct IMEI, please obtain the IMEI directly from the handset by pressing *#06#. Once this is obtained, please submit a new request including the information below:

1. T-Mobile account and mobile number (required)
    2. IMEI number, press *#06# on handset to get the IMEI (required)
    3. Contact number or email address
    4. Make and model of the phone
    5. Carrier's name (if the phone came from another carrier)
    6. A brief reason for the request
    7. Dealer Code (if the request is from a dealer on behalf of a customer)

NOTE: If this is not a T-Mobile handset, we would need to request the unlock code from the other provider. Since T-Mobile is requesting an unlock code from another carrier we cannot guarantee the response time or that a unlock code will be provided.

Thank You,

Sim Unlock Department
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    The sales guy asssured me it worked for another customer, but I'm thinking it was a cingular treo, in which any code would produce an UNLOCKED message.

As for the unlocking services, I strongely beleive that they will all work at roughly the same time. There is no "Exclusive" deal to be made. Either the manufacture/carrier releases the unlock method or it is leaked by an employee. (I'm not a 100% sure, but I don't think it can be hacked without the unlock method being released.) It saddens me to say this, but like other new phones, it could take a few months before we all get our treo unlocked. Bummer.
    Do you have an email address for the Unlocking Department at T-Mobile?
    Latest BS from gsmlocker.com

"Thank you for ordering our service.

Please give us the time to work on. There is been a technical delay due to
    Server problem. We are working on it to serve you better. Please bare us the
    time.

Have a pleasant day.
    Your Truly,

Kumaar
    Customer Care Executive
    Moftware Help Desk
    www.moftware.com
    www.gsmlocker.com
    www.fommy.com "
    Originally posted by vulcan
    Latest BS from gsmlocker.com

"Thank you for ordering our service.

Please give us the time to work on. There is been a technical delay due to
    Server problem. We are working on it to serve you better. Please bare us the
    time.

Have a pleasant day.
    Your Truly,

Kumaar
    Customer Care Executive
    Moftware Help Desk
    www.moftware.com
    www.gsmlocker.com
    www.fommy.com "
    Same BS here. I'll give them a few more days before calling my bank and removing those charges. The only reason for wanting to unlock my phone is for overseas travel as my domestic provider is ATT. I feel for you guys who can't use it at all.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast