Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    His unlock didnt work...

Just like everyone elses from what I understand.

There was a problem with the unlock codes those companies were giving out, from what I understand.....
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I tried 3 different unlock codes with and without Hardreset and firmware upgrade with the same negative result
    Did you get all 3 codes you tried from Unlockyourgsm.com?
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    no ,just one from them, 2 others from 2 other different sources, but with the same result ))
    Originally posted by leonidm
    I tried 3 different unlock codes with and without Hardreset and firmware upgrade with the same negative result

So basically, when entering the code from unlockyourgsm.com the message "Phone is now unlocked" appeared for you, but in fact it was not unlocked? Is that it?

I have a unlocked treo600 arriving tomorrow, which it seems I cant use for now.

Well, desperation is the best motivation IŽve heard, IŽll see if I will be able to figure out how to unlock it.
    If the one you have coming is from Cingular it really is unlocked...

It will work with anybodies sim card....

Its the ones from AT&T that are locked down tight...

Those are the ones nobody has figured out how to unlock yet....
    Originally posted by ppoo
    If the one you have coming is from Cingular it really is unlocked...

It will work with anybodies sim card....

Its the ones from AT&T that are locked down tight...

Those are the ones nobody has figured out how to unlock yet....
    It is the Orange (UK) version and locked to their network.
    From what I understand Orange UK will unlock yours for a price..

At least you have that option...

Here in the States AT&T tells you to go pee up a rope...

They wont unlock them under ANY circumstances....
    The unlock code is based on the IMEI number. When a new series of numbers are allocated to a manufacture (as they were for handspring), the manufacture sets up how they want to create unlock codes. It then takes awhile for others to either hack the algorithm (rare) or figure out how to unlock it using hardware/software (less rare). If you want more info, do a google search on GSM IMEI numbers to learn more about the allocation and unlocking processes.

It is more likely that someone has access to the manufacture unlock process, via business relationships (sometimes backdoor). This may very well be the case for unlockyourgsm.com and is definitely the case with T-Mobile. The carrier (AT&T) owns the rights to the IMEI and unlock codes via handspring. Most people will try to get the unlock code from handspring, but if that fails they have to go to the carrier. (We've all read what AT&T's reply is)

As for T-Mobile. I've now spoken (face-to-face) with 2 sales agents in stores that claim it has been done. Both said it took over 2 weeks. One said they could get me in touch with the customer to see the result and try my SIM. I'm not yet a T-Mobile customer, but I put in a request for the unlock code. If they get it, they will give it to me when I convert.
    I have same negative result as you all did. I have noticed that the phone did not try to search for network after it's unlocked. I got an 'No operators available' message when I tried to manually select the network.

The T-Mobile tech. support thinks the unlock code somehow disabled the network searching function, and that's why the error message came back so quickly. But, again, none of this explains why the unlock code has to be entered each time the non-At&T sim card is inserted.
    I'm wondering if the Italian int'l firmwire posted in the carriers/worldwide thread would fix this with AT&T phones making them 'generically' unlockable?
    Everybody try this test for me....

Youll see that this is a fake unlock procedure......Built in by AT&T and HS to thwart "unlockers"

Step 1: Turn your Treo on with anybodies sim in it except an AT&T sim....At this point your Treo will probably say "Wireless Mode Off" at the top of the screen...

Step 2: Enter a phone number (any random group of numbers will work actually) and press "Dial" button at bottom of screen.
    It will return a message box that says "Wireless mode is Off" and ask if you would like to turn it on. Press the "Yes" button.

The phone companies splash screen will then come up and momentarily another box will pop up saying' "Sim card not allowed". Just hit the OK button on this box.....

Now clear out the number you were attempting to dial....

At the top now it should say "No Service - SOS only"

Step 3: Enter *#*#584562315# and press "Dial" button...

It may immediately reply with "Locked" message saying "The sim lock has NOT been removed from this phone."

Hit the "OK" button.

Start at step 3 again entering the same string of Characters...

It may immediately reply with "Locked" message AGAIN saying "The sim lock has NOT been removed from this phone."

Hit the "OK" button AGAIN.

Start at step 3 again entering the same string of Characters for the 3rd time...

It will then give you a "Please wait" message box and respond with "Unlocked" message box saying "The SIM lock has been removed from the phone."

Hit OK button

Listen folks....they have written a bogus unlocking process into this phone...If you try to make a call your phone STILL is not unlocked....

want to hear the REAL kicker?

The string you entered to unlock it " *#*#584562315#" can use any numbers and any AMMOUNT of numbers you want between the # signs..

You will get the same results....

It could be *#*#1234# you are entering, makes no difference....

Everyone hoping to have an unlock code for these soon....stop hopeing....its gonna be a LOOOONG time coming....
    Last edited by ppoo; 12/18/2003 at 05:26 PM.
    has anyone tried using their code after flashing the rom? Currently all of us ATT users have software version ending in AWS maybe that has something to do with the lock.
    I've just flashed my rom, same thing happens trying random codes BUT I don't have an unlock code yet (willing to test if unlockgsm.com will sell me one).
    A guy over at TreoCentral tried my test procedure after flashing his with the latest SIAM firmware and got the same result....
    Well speak of the devil...there he is...Vulcan!!

hehehe
    Youll get the same result with that code from Unlockyourgsm.com

This is exactly the problem he was having with unlock codes he was selling.....

SIGH...here I sit with my AT&T paperweight....
    hey ppoo,

If you just put in any random number you get "sim not unlocked" message. People using codes from unlockyourgsm.com were getting the message "sim unlocked" . The issue was even after the "sim unlocked" message, it still wouldnt take a foriegn sim. So there is a difference between using the real code and a random number.

Has anyone tried a "real code" after upgrading the rom?
    Originally posted by mrfred8
    hey ppoo,

If you just put in any random number you get "sim not unlocked" message. People using codes from unlockyourgsm.com were getting the message "sim unlocked" . The issue was even after the "sim unlocked" message, it still wouldnt take a foriegn sim. So there is a difference between using the real code and a random number.

Has anyone tried a "real code" after upgrading the rom?

sorry, but that isnt a true statement....
    If youll read my above post in its entirety you will see that if you enter ANY string of numbers 3 times you will eventually get the "UNLOCKED" message...

This is PRECISELY the problem peple were having with the codes from Unlockyourgsm.com

Inculding the one I got.....
    Ill try this 1 more time and speak slowly....

I bought a code from unlockyourgsm.com

I tried it twice and got the not unlocked message...

I tried it a third time and got the unlocked message...

It would not work with another sim...

I flashed the FW....

Tried it again....same results....any more questions?

BTW...Im not "trolling", what are you some kind of "forum pro" or something....with the "trolling" lingo and all?

hehehe
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast