1.    #1  
    Just upgraded my 300 to a 600. I really liked the dialing behavior on the 300 where you could start typing either a contact name or a number, and the Treo would figure out which it was based on whether the letters you entered were a valid contact.

Is there any way to get this behavior back? An app I can install that does this? I searched the forums for hours but couldn't find anything about it.

Also, as a side note, I sync my corporate calendar to my Treo but I don't want the alarms to go off on the Treo. Is there any way to turn them off? I couldn't find anything on any pref screens.

Thanks!
    A
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Alpengeist
    and the Treo would figure out which it was based on whether the letters you entered were a valid contact.
    Push the down arrow, then proceed per usual.
    If you want it to search contacts immediately when typing from the phone startup screen, edit your display preferences from the phone application (menu-Q), then set the second option to "Typing starts Contacts search".

You're set after that, Treo 300 functionality.
    ...the key point being that you, the user, have to decide whether the Treo interprets your input as a name or a number. I don't think anyone's come up with a way to emulate the old Treo behavior.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by cathartic
    ...the key point being that you, the user, have to decide whether the Treo interprets your input as a name or a number. I don't think anyone's come up with a way to emulate the old Treo behavior.
    You know before hand. That's why I leave my 600 in the default mode. Then I either dial the number straight away, or hit the down arrow and start typing the name (first initial, last name).
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    And the reason the 600 doesn't behave like the 300 is because the new keyboard layout breaks the formerly employed algorithm for automatically distinguishing between names and numbers. Now there's no way to do that.

One extra keystroke. Small sacrifice for such a giant step forward.
    Originally posted by skidoo
    And the reason the 600 doesn't behave like the 300 is because the new keyboard layout breaks the formerly employed algorithm for automatically distinguishing between names and numbers. Now there's no way to do that.

One extra keystroke. Small sacrifice for such a giant step forward.
    One extra keystroke is kind of a bigger deal than you let it on to be. For instance I used to be toss my phone to a friend and say just type Joe's name.

Now, I have two choices.

1. I either have to set it as the default to go to contacts (as I did). This mean that anytime I want to dial a number not in my contacts, which does happen every now and again, I have to touch the screen with my finger or stylus, losing the one-handed operation.

2. I have to tell my friend to hit the down arrow and then type the name. (I think most non-treo users assume they can scroll through numbers using the up-down volume arrows on the left of the phone, but that's another story.)

And that one extra keystroke is 33% more than I used to do to have to find a contact. On every call, when you didn't have to do it before it gets annoying (hence why I switched to choice 1).

How would a keyboard layout brake the algorithm designed for the previous Treo. I realize the numbers are on different keys, but the algorithm should be pretty simple to translate. Take every spot in the code where you referenced the decision to choose between a "y" and "1" and make it an "e" or "1". In fact it's even more simple than this. What you'd do is after the third or subsequent key is pressed, start looking in the phonebook (this code they can reuse) for the corresponding letter For instance if I have started typing 314 they know I'm either dialing a number or my friend "Ted", the next key should let you know better which one.

I mean if they open sourced this I could rewrite it in 10 minutes.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    No, I think you're trivializing the issue. The alt button *IS* zero now. The algorithm is broken. Noodle it out. Write some pseudocode (or write it in C) demonstrating how you could make it work again. I'd love to see it.

Also, now you can either default it to dial numbers, then map the contacts app to one of your arrows, or you can default it to your contacts list and map the phone app to one of your arrows. Still one-handed. Just one extra key press. It sounds as if in your case you'd want to do the latter (default to contacts) so you can "toss it to your friend" and he or she can start typing Joe's name. Then you can use your arrow to get to the dial pad when you need to.
    Originally posted by skidoo
    No, I think you're trivializing the issue. The alt button *IS* zero now. The algorithm is broken. Noodle it out. Write some pseudocode (or write it in C) demonstrating how you could make it work again. I'd love to see it.

Also, now you can either default it to dial numbers, then map the contacts app to one of your arrows, or you can default it to your contacts list and map the phone app to one of your arrows. Still one-handed. Just one extra key press. It sounds as if in your case you'd want to do the latter (default to contacts) so you can "toss it to your friend" and he or she can start typing Joe's name. Then you can use your arrow to get to the dial pad when you need to.
    Interesting I didn't note that the Alt is zero. Still I don't think it brakes anything.

Here's a rough pseudo code attempt in something of a php-type language.

[PHP]
    <Loop until [center 5 Dpad pressed]>
    <$input = get_input() >
    <if $input inlist(E,R,T,D,F)> // i.e. all letters that are numbers as well.
    <display_as_number($input)>
    <$phonenumber = $phonenumber + $input>
    </if>
    <if $input inlist(Q,W,U,P,...)> // i.e all letters that aren't also numbers
    <$input_type = "contacts">
    </if>
    <if $input == 0>
    <$input_type = "number">
    </if>
    <if ($loop_index > 2) and ($input_type != "number")>
    <look_in_contacts($phonenumber)>
    <if $found_in_contacts == "true">
    <goto_contacts($phonenumber)
    </if>
    </Loop>
    <dial($phonenumber)>
    [/PHP]

I assume the get_input(), goto_contacts(), and look_in_contacts(), and display_as_number(), dial() functions are written. It's pretty they are written in some way, because the Treo can do all of them. Granted this is an over simplification of such an algorithm. Please don't be nit-picky with the code, I think in every case you can create an if...then to tell if it's in the contacts and if so, go there, else keep making the phone number. The gyst of it is that it's really no different than what Handspring did before. You can assume that if a zero is pressed the person means to type a phone number instead of looking it up in the contacts because an Alt can't be in the contact name. In the Treo 300 the 0 is the "menu" key and it assumes it to be a 0. Why would an Alt key be any different?

Yes, you can dial one-handed if you leave the default (or option #2 as I said above), but that's the least efficient option for me, because 98% of the time I'm dialling from my contacts. So going with pressing the down arrow first is going to be more work.

Thus going with the less work option seems to require two handed operation to get to the dialpad (the 5-way nav is no help... it goes to Web, Favs, Pictures, and Contacts). After you press one number on the screen then you can get full 5 way nav usage with the dialpad. For that one number though you either took out your stylus or are touching the screen with your, uck, fingers. Maybe I missed a way to make this one-handed.

I'm not arguing the Treo 600 isn't better than sliced bread. It's far better, I just don't think there's a reason why this went away, except that maybe it confused some of the less technical users when it switched from one mode to the next.