1.    #1  
    I e-mailed Handspring to find out if there was some type of hidden "trick" to disable the spacebar from answering calls. Here is a summary of the exchange of e-mails.

Me:

Is there a way to disable the feature of answering a call by pressing the space bar?

Handspring:

Thank you for contacting palmOne, formerly Handspring.

We appreciate your Treo 600 purchase. You may lock your Treo 600's keypad to prevent accidental button presses by following the instructions provided in the Treo 600 owner's manual. If you would like to download an owner's manual for your Treo, you may do so by visiting our product support database online.

Me:

Locking the keypad does not prevent a call from being answered by pressing the space bar. This is a feature that was built-in.

Handspring:

Unfortunately, the Treo 600 does not currently allow users to disable the space bar, thereby, preventing calls from being answered. If you wish, you may completely disable wireless communication by switching wireless mode off. Instructions for doing so may be found in your Treo 600 user's guide.

We are committed to improving the quality of the products and services we offer. Please check back soon to see if the changes you requested have been implemented.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you need further assistance please reply to this email or contact Customer Care at 1-888-565-9393.

Just makes me wonder...

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    You may be approaching this issue from only one possible angle. The folks who make the cases presumably should have tested the cases for inbound call scenarios - if they did not then the cases are not fit for the advertised use and need to be altered.
    that is complete crap....talk about poor customer service.
    All noobs click here
    So if I make car mats for a Buick that buckle under the accelerator and brake pedals preventing them from being depressed properly, Buick should provide a way to move the pedals so that it won't happen. Get real! The case manufacturers should fix this one, not Handspring.
    Just got my Handspring form fit case and the horizontal case. Both cases really hug the Treo inside and yet I don't have problems with the space bar answering calls. If I were you, I'd return the case and wait for another style, if the Handspring cases are too "cheap" for you.
    Ed
    I have two fixes for the Vaja case: #1 is to place two small felt "spots" such as walmart sells in its crafts section on the two lower straps that retain the bottom of the Treo, 1 spot per strap applied so as to act as a "spacer" between the cover and the Treo. #2 is to insert an object (such as your stylus) between the closed cover and the bottom of the treo - stretching the leather fastner strap.

Option #1 protects well enough against the spacebar accidently answering the phone, and does not detract too much from the appearance of the case. Option #2 will prevent the case from pressing the spacebar under normal conditions, but any pressure on the cover-flap will still "answer" the phone.

Neither is a perfect solution, but they at last make my $$$ case usable.
    Cal Stuart
    Option #3:

Start a group PayPal funding pool to pay a palm developer to develop a small app that disables the space bar.