1.    #1  
    Anybody know of a way to highlight text (e.g. for copy/cut/paste) without the stylus OR menu-S (select all)? Any utilities for that?

I would like to highlight strings of text but not the entire contents of a text field (e.g. just a word in a sentence) without using the stylus (i.e. tap-drag-release)

A useful utility would allow:

1) press shift or option key and use the 5-way button navigation to extend the yellow highlight (two-handed), not unlike holding down shift while pressing cursor keys in Windows text editors

2)pressing & releasing shift or option key (as for shifting/optioning a single key) and navigate to start/stop highlight or double-shift or double-option to start/stop those functions (like caps-lock) before navigating to highlight

3) select the word currently under the cursor by holding shift-option and pressing center-button on 5-way (like double-clicking mouse on a word in a Windows text editor)
    That way, we could select operate on specific strings without ever having to pull out the stylus.

If we're gonna use a keyboard instead of a stylus, let's go all the way! I'm not a Palm programmer, so can anybody else handle this?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    this was asked before here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...+keyboard.html

unfortunately, i think the answer is NO, at the moment there's nothing that allows you to select text using the keyboard only.

too bad, it worked great for cut & paste on the Sidekick...
    We need this!

I've asked a few Treo 600 users who are also programmers to look into creating this. I agree that it is an essential missing ingredient.

Let's keep this thread alive.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    My thumb is rounded on the bottom. I just use that.
    I've been wondering about this for some time now. I was hoping for a more +ve answer, but this is at least an answer - for now "NO! It can't be done!" What a bummer. I have been finding that I highlight things a lot. I am loving using the keyboard for just about everything, and then having to get the stylus out for just this is a bit annoying. I'm just not keen to start using my fingers on the screen. I hate scratches and grease marks on the screen.

Oh well, I hope some clever person makes something for this...
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by the phoenix
    I'm just not keen to start using my fingers on the screen. I hate scratches and grease marks on the screen.
    You use screen protectors, right?
    I second the motion. If anybody has ever used "Keyquick" on a Sony Clie, we need the equivalent of that on a Treo. (Don't bother - I already tried running Keyquick on the Treo - it doesn't work! The ability to select text is central to using the keyboard. It's silly that the Treo (or the Tungstens for that matter) don't have this built in.
    Originally posted by cosmicpatriot
    I second the motion. If anybody has ever used "Keyquick" on a Sony Clie, we need the equivalent of that on a Treo. (Don't bother - I already tried running Keyquick on the Treo - it doesn't work! The ability to select text is central to using the keyboard. It's silly that the Treo (or the Tungstens for that matter) don't have this built in.
    What about Keyquick and VolumeRocker? Volumerocker supposedly makes the 5-way also send the tungsten and clie signals to the OS.
    This would be greeeaaat, now that TakephONE can dial a highlited number from any program... Especially DateBK5...
    dgoodisi, but the problem is keyquick doesn't recognize the Treo keyboard, which is needed for text selection.

Good idea, though!

C'mon, someone write a Treo equivalent of keyquick!
    Originally posted by skidoo
    You use screen protectors, right?
    No, too be honest I don't anymore. I sed to with my m505, then I just used to protect the Grafitty pad on my Clie, and I have never scratched the screen EVER! I am very careful, but maybe I have just been lucky.

You've got me thinking about acquiring some again for the Treo.
    Originally posted by dgoodisi

What about Keyquick and VolumeRocker? Volumerocker supposedly makes the 5-way also send the tungsten and clie signals to the OS.
    I was using VolumeRocker and it certainly did the biz... but it causes LauncherX to behave rather badly. I was going to spank LauncherX but then realised that I paid for it! (and VolRock was freeware) - VolRock got a darn good spanking and has now fled the building
    www.gsmworld.com
    Hey nzmoko,
    I bumped into you on another thread, and don't think I replied when I asked you where you were from etc.

Anyway, I'm from Wellington. Moved to Spain and lived there for a year or so, and I am now in London... Not many Kiwis here - He he!

Nice to sorta kinda meet someone from back home on one of these msg boards. Glad you're enjoying your Treo.

I'm sure I'll be reading more from you around the place.

Take care