Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    delorme sells a GPS receiver called the 'earthmate'. they don't explicitly support any of the treo hardware, but their salesforce will refer you to a company (www.thesupplynet.com) which sells
    cables to connect the earthmate (which now supports the EMEA data standard) to a treo. however, their model list stops at the treo300 and doesn't explicitly mention the treo600.

i'm interested in anyone's experiences using a supplynet cable, an earthmate, an older piece of treo hardware, and delorme's PDA software.

i'm also interested in knowing if the 600 takes the same kind of cable as the older treo models.
    It might work but there are a lot of hiccups along the way.

1. Palm OS 5 changed the way serial ports are handled in software. Many programs are unaffected but many don't work at all on OS 5. GPSMaster does not work on OS 5 nor does the GPS support for that atlas SD dio card.

2. Treo does not support "regular" rs232, treo serial cables actually have some conversion circuitry built in that converts the communications inside the cable.

3. Treo has some custom serial software in their version of the OS that confuses some serial based software programs.

All that said, I got my radioshack digitraveler GPS hooked up to my treo this week and I got my favorite palm GPS program, cetus, working a couple nights ago.

There is a cheaper solution than pcables but you have to have a handspring serial cable and about $5 in parts from your local hobbyshop.

David
  3. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    they want something like $60 for the cable, which powers the earthmate via a car adapter plug and another $50 for a battery pack that plugs into the car adapter for a grand total of $100 for some *cables*. that's abusive.
    Do you have a cable for earthmate to PC serial port? Do you have a cable for Handspring to PC serial port? If so you can build an adapter for about $5 in parts.

David
  5. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    i have a minor in math and a master's in CS. i only buy hardware. i can't make it :-).
    I really need to be able to hook up my gps to my Treo600, but don't know where to buy or what to buy. So I'm putting out a challenge to all of these folks who say it's easy to do, and list locations and part #s to help out the rest of us. In other words put up or shut up.
  7. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    the only solution i've even heard of is to buy the handspring treo GPS cable from www.thesupplynet.com. it's $60 and draws power from a car lighter adapter. they swear it works for the 300 and that it will also work for the 600. but there seem to be many questions. like you, i'm waiting for the results of a real experiment, not theory.
    Originally posted by Savvy
    I really need to be able to hook up my gps to my Treo600, but don't know where to buy or what to buy. So I'm putting out a challenge to all of these folks who say it's easy to do, and list locations and part #s to help out the rest of us. In other words put up or shut up.
    There is no one size fits all answer. What GPS do you have? What cables do you have?

There is quick and dirty that will "probably" work and there is complicated and expensive that almost positively work. The biggest problem is getting the treo data connectors, I have not been able to find them for less than $15 each. At that price it is cheaper just to buy the serial cable for handspring and either cut it or make an adapter.

David
    I purchased the cable from TheSupplyNet.com and a copy of StreetAtlas from Delorme. The cable does NOT seem to work.

I was instructed on another thread try using a NMEA monitor to identify if the PDA was receiving a signal from the GPS. No NMEA monitor software that I have found is compatible with the Treo 600.

The charger cable I have for my Color Sidekick does fit the Supply Net, and it seems to charge the Earthmate but not the Treo. Must be that compatibility thing discussed earlier on this thread.

The Street Atlas software itself resets as soon as I selelct the GPS -> Connect option. So I believe that the software is not compatible. I was going to try using Mapopolis with the trial map, but I guess, I let the expiration period expire to see if it is receiving information from Earthmate.

Any ideas from anyone, seeing as how I already have the equipment?
    djs_tx,
    I would be interest in how to make a converter for $5. My goal is to go from a T3 to the Treo though. I should be able to do this since I do brain surgery on cars (old controller out, new controller in) Call me Dr. Frankenstien. I saw an serial adapter that was a universal Bluetooth, but haven't decided to spend $200 to experiment.

Speed
    golf, you are the second person I have talked to that has bought the supply net cable and it has not worked for them. I think something is wrong in their design or something has changed in the treo hardware. I would really like to get ahold of one of these cables and test it to see if it works.

Speed,
    What exactly do you want to do? Communicate directly from a T3 to a Treo via cable? You could probably do that easier with IrDA but it is possible with a cable and some electronics. Tell me what you want to do and I might be able to help.

David
    djs_tx

I know that some generic or non-Handspring power cables from the 180/270/300 series Treo's are not compatible with 600 series models.

That being said, I know the power may not work, but I don't understand why the data doesn't? Still looking for something to confirm that the Treo and Earthmate are at least communicating something...
    Its complicated but the serial data cables for handsprings are not like most data cables. They are not just wires running from one connector to the other, there is actually some conversion circuitry embedded in the cable. Unfortunately this conversion circuitry requires power to do its thing. In factory cables it steals this power from the host computer. When you use a serial cable to talk to a PC from a treo, the cable is actually taking power from the PC serial port in order to power some conversion circuitry.

The pcables cable is different, in order to connect to a peripheral or modem it cannot steal power from the peripheral, it must take power from the treo itself. So it is possible that handspring changed the voltage or current available from the port and that is screwing up the conversion circuitry.

Just a hunch but I've been emailing another guy that is having mysterious serial cable problems too with his pcables cable. Has anyone successfully used a pcables cable with a treo 600?

David
    Hello folks, no one has posted to this thread in a while, but it's the closest thread that describes what I'm trying to do. I have the DeLorme Earthmate GPS USB unit from a package I purchased at Best Buy. Has anyone tried (or would be willing to point me in the right direction) to connect the Treo to the Earthmate unit? Any success/failure? Any input would be great, because I already have the Earthmate GPS unit and want to try to kill my desire for a more expensive GPS solution (iQue 3600 or, heaven forbid, a new car with GPS inside...) Thanks.
    Finally got my circuit built and tested but my Treo 600 talks to my digitraveler GPS just fine. I only have it set up in the car but the cigarette lighter powers the GPS and the Treo and the simple circuit for the communications.

Treo uses TTL (0V is logical 0 while +5V is logical 1) while most GPS devices use RS232 voltage levels (-7V is logical 1, +12V is logical 0). If you have a Handspring Serial cable, it has the conversion circuits built in to convert TTL level serial to RS232 level. The problem is the cable itself has to steal power from the host serial port.

All you have to do is build a simple circuit with a battery and a resistor to provide about 20mA of current to pins 4 and 7 of the handspring serial cable. You can use a battery or I used a cigarette lighter. I promise one of these days I'll get around to a web page with pictures and schematics.

David
  16. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    even though i'm not a hardware geek, i am an old CS/software geek. and i know a fair amount about rs232 and serial lines. USB, however, is opaque to me.

your message makes me wonder about the treo600 connector at the bottom of the unit. what is it?? is it documented somewhere? is there a treo600 developer's site that talks about this detail?

do you know if the conversion details are specific to the treo600? or to all treos?

/mark
    hi djs_tx, I have a treo 270 and a digitreveler also
    I try to use it with a treo serial cable with a null modem adapter, using program Mapopolis
    and also the one digitraveler provide, however they do not at all. Then I find that
    pcables.com have a cable provide that work with treo and digitraveler. (the one that
    carry the battery) but it cost around $70 with the shipping.
    And now my question is, I know that you have a experiments to making a cable to work with
    treo and digitraverler. I have a treo connector, and the digitraveler connector also, but
    i have no idea how to connect them together. ( all I know is the JR-11 2,3,5 connect to
    serial 2,3,5 if i want to make a notebook serial cable)
    can you be kind to provide more informations or even diagrams for how to connect the treo
    adapter pins and also add a battery like the one pcables does
    my email is hbbus200@yahoo.com
    thank you so much!!
    hi djs_tx, I have a treo 270 and a digitreveler also
    I try to use it with a treo serial cable with a null modem adapter, using program Mapopolis
    and also the one digitraveler provide, however they do not at all. Then I find that
    pcables.com have a cable provide that work with treo and digitraveler. (the one that
    carry the battery) but it cost around $70 with the shipping.
    And now my question is, I know that you have a experiments to making a cable to work with
    treo and digitraverler. I have a treo connector, and the digitraveler connector also, but
    i have no idea how to connect them together. ( all I know is the JR-11 2,3,5 connect to
    serial 2,3,5 if i want to make a notebook serial cable)
    can you be kind to provide more informations or even diagrams for how to connect the treo
    adapter pins and also add a battery like the one pcables does
    my email is hbbus200@yahoo.com
    thank you so much!!
    I have the same issue with Delorme Software.

I'm running Treo 600, Delorme EarthMate w/Power Pack, and cables from TheSupplyNet.

The unit shuts down and restarts, when trying to connect to GPS.

Odd thing is, it happens regardless if GPS is connected to unit.
    That leads me to believe its a software issue w/the Treo.

I've uninstalled, and reinstalled v1.1 per Delorme tech.
    This didn't resolve issue.

I'm going to call Delorme again Monday 2004.01.12.
    Hopefully we'll have better results.

I'm dying to get this to work.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I'll be sure to post my results.

Ref attached delorme link, which shows compatiable/tested pda's:
    http://www.delorme.com/support/gps/btpp002.asp

Regards,

Rob.
  20. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    If you succeed, I'll sing your praises. Wish I could help directly. Just out of curiosity (and based on my absolutely recent and limited palm experience - the treo600 was my first cell phone *and* my first PDA), was the earthmate software installed on a relatively virgin treo software base? are you capable of hard-resetting your box, installing delorme's software, testing it, and then restoring your treo memory state from a backup? after twenty four years of virtual memory protiection, i'm chagrined to be actively using a computer with a flat memory model again and i'm wondering if you're just a victim of the platform?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast