1.    #1  
    Man it's been a productive day. First the lanyard now the speakerphone.

I took an old $9.95 ear bud / mic headset, cut off the ear phone and leaving the mic, spliced the wire from the ear phone (by soldering) to a Radio Shack cassete adapter which I bought on Ebay for $4 and now I have a speakerphone with a separate mic. I also have my T600 custom mounted into the dash of the instrument panel so I can easily dial a number or access any of the T600's functions with the LCD in clear view as I drive.

The sound through the car stereo is awesome. I am not sure how it sounds to the other end or whether there is echo or not. If there is echo, I hope to be able to reduce or totally remove it with a good uni-directional microphone. I'll take a jpg of the setup tomorrow and post it .

If you are interested in doing a sound test of my speakerphone PM me your phone number. I can call you between 8 pm to 11 PM EST when I have free minutes and if I am on the road.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Dude, I have the $2 miniplug adaptor and my phone plugged into that same Radio Shack cassette adaptor (actually got mine at Radio Shack, for like five bucks). The phone sits on the seat beside me, or propped in my console.

MP3s sound great.
    Streaming audio sounds great.
    Phone calls sound great.

And when a call comes in it automatically silences the current sounds and goes to speakerphone (output going to the car speakers), even when I'm listening to music. Everyone on the other end says my voice sounds clear as a bell, and I just leave it wherever it is (seat, console, wherever). No mic, no car kit, no hassle.

P.S. -- I've got an FM adaptor too, which is a little more elegant than the cassette, but in many locations there's too much intereference. Doesn't sound so hot.
  3.    #3  
    Skidoo dude,

I've tried what you did. First, I do not like the idea of leaving the phone on the seat. Quick stops will send it flying. Second, using the adapter is unsightly and puts too much strain on the Treo connector. Third, using the Treo's mic for the speakerphone will not give you full duplex. The Treo's speakerphone is claimed by many to be full deplex but it really is not. Just read the threads on "speaker phone cutting in and out".

I just tried out my custom car kit/ speakerphone with a separate mic and it works absolutely great. There is no feedback and no echo on the other end, and it is full duplex. Both parties can hear each other, every word.

Here's a pic of my T600 custom in dash install. I had to cut into the dash a little. Hey the car has over 220k miles on it so I don't really care about cutting into the dash. It is occluding the tach but not any of the ***** lights. It takes 15 seconds to plug it the charger and the 2.5 mm connector and slide into the "slots"

Originally posted by skidoo
    Dude, I have the $2 miniplug adaptor and my phone plugged into that same Radio Shack cassette adaptor (actually got mine at Radio Shack, for like five bucks). The phone sits on the seat beside me, or propped in my console.

MP3s sound great.
    Streaming audio sounds great.
    Phone calls sound great.

And when a call comes in it automatically silences the current sounds and goes to speakerphone (output going to the car speakers), even when I'm listening to music. Everyone on the other end says my voice sounds clear as a bell, and I just leave it wherever it is (seat, console, wherever). No mic, no car kit, no hassle.

P.S. -- I've got an FM adaptor too, which is a little more elegant than the cassette, but in many locations there's too much intereference. Doesn't sound so hot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    No, that looks really cool. I didn't mean to sound as if I was knocking your project. I too have some familiarity with modifying car interiors to accomodate my gadget-nut self. Yeah, I haven't kept that site up. It's out of date. But cruise the pictures of the car computer. Only nerds like us can appreciate such things.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Unfortunately that truck did battle with an aged crepe myrtle tree and lost. It was no contest.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by skidoo
    No, that looks really cool. I didn't mean to sound as if I was knocking your project. I too have some familiarity with modifying car interiors to accomodate my gadget-nut self. Yeah, I haven't kept that site up. It's out of date. But cruise the pictures of the car computer. Only nerds like us can appreciate such things.
    No, not at all, I didn't take it as you were knocking my project. I wish my house was wired up like yours. Nice work!

You should try your 600 speakerphone setup with a separate mike. It's really easy to rig up. On the 2.5 mm plug, the tip is the mic, the second ring is the speaker, the third is common. When you peel back the insulation, separate the 2 different color very fine magnet wires and twist together as separate bundles, then heat with a soldering iron to melt the insulation and tin at the same time. Buzz it out to make sure there are no shorts.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Is the sound coming thru your car speakers stereo or mono while using the cassette adapter? Since the hands free headphones only has one earbud.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Loondog
    Is the sound coming thru your car speakers stereo or mono while using the cassette adapter? Since the hands free headphones only has one earbud.
    I have it setup as mono at the moment. I have the right side speakers enabled only. The thought is to have the speaker as far away from the mic as possible to minimize feedback during speakerphone use. I can enable both speakers if I want by tie-ing the inputs of the cassette adapter together. It wouldn't be true stereo for voice because the source is not stereo. I am not using mp3 at the moment (that's another item in the wait) but when I do I will have to install switches to select the source, whether it be the mic, or the stereo output of mp3. I believe the T600 senses impedence on the ear/ mic channel. When it senses low impedence (50 ohms so so for an earphone), it makes that channel an output, when it see high impedence (about 1k ohm for a mic), it makes that channel an input (mic).
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Loondog
    When I plug the 600 straight into my cassette deck, the sound comes out in booming stereo. It's a bonafide MP3 (OGG, whatever) player, for sure. And it's cool talking to people with their voices totally surrounding you. I've never had any feedback or duplexing problems just laying the 600 on the seat and talking while it's plugged into the cassette adapter.