1.    #1  
    I've been sending messages to my Treo 600 via 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com. It works well except that, when the message arrives, it always says that the sender is "Unknown". Then the whole first line of the message is taken up with the email address of the sender, so I get to see very little of the actual message.

Is there any way to get the sender name into the place where it should be (instead of "Unknown"), and also to get rid of the redundant email address (so I can read the first line of the message right away when I get it)?
    I would like to know the answer to this as well.

It might have to do with the fact that the message is going through Sprint's shortmail server first, and then forwards the message to your phone?

Its really annoying that the precious few (160) characters in the message are taken up by the sender's address.
  3.    #3  
    I found a workaround for my purposes, which uses the web interface rather than the email interface. Here's a short Perl script that sends me a short message, and it doesn't use up the first line of text with the email address of the sender (unless I put it there). Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to use the sender line for anything but "Unknown", or a phone number.

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl

$to = "8885551212";

use LWP::UserAgent;
    use HTTP::Request::Common "POST";
    use HTTP::Response;

while (<>) {
        $msg = $msg . $_;
    }

$msg = substr($msg, 0, 160);

my $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
    my $request = POST 'http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/sml/guestCompose.do',