Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    Has anyone out there installed PILoc (Paragon/Penreader) localization software on the Treo 600, and it worked on Blazer?
    Just as a reference: PILoc is localization software which allows you to read webpages, e-mail, SMS in Russian, Greek, Czech, Dutch, etc.

I installed it, and it works for mail, but Blazer refuses to translate the Russian encoding into readable text.

If someone knows which version works (there actually isn't a version available for Treo 600 yet -- I installed a Piloc Lite version for Palm Zire 71 -- the only version I found to support Palm OS 5.x).

Thanks in advance.
    Hi,

have the same problem with Russian support. I'm afraid Blazer is using some built in fonts and if this is true, we are in trouble :-( may be we have to send a couple of emails to Paragon asking for PiLoc edition for Treo?..
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Vorozhbyt
    Hi,

have the same problem with Russian support. I'm afraid Blazer is using some built in fonts and if this is true, we are in trouble :-( may be we have to send a couple of emails to Paragon asking for PiLoc edition for Treo?..
    Wow finally someone who has the same problem. For a few days there I was beginning to think that I am the only one with this issue. I already sent one e-mail to paragon. Received a reply that they don't have a Treo 600 specific version. So then I asked when will they have one, or at least a set of fonts for Blazer, and I have not heard anything from them for 2 days now. I don't think that they would screw themselves like this, by using built in fonts, although I had a pocket pc phone, and I downloaded the NetFfront 3, that would not read Russian either. I already opened a case with Handspring, and I will call Paragon support in Moscow. Blazer 2 on Treo 270/300 worked, so I don't see why version 3 would not work. The only thing is that we may have to translate the entire OS into Russian. I will keep you posted.
    Anyone tried using a different browser like Eudora?
    It definately seems that Blazer uses its own fonts instead of system fonts. I am using Cyrhack V and seeing same issues. However when looking at the properties of the page (it's description) - russian text works
  5.    #5  
    Haven't tried a different browser, but here's the answer from Penreader:
    No, at the moment we do not have localization for Treo 600. But you can try to download localization for Tungsten E from www.penreader.com
    We will release new version of PiLoc for Treo 600 untill 17 of December. This version will support national fonts and onscreen keyboard. Other functionalities will be added in next versions.
    Haven't tried their suggestion, but I will as soon as I get to work
    Hi Pals,

tried Eudora, Xiino, iPanel, PocketLink - no luck. Eudora stops loading page at about 60Kb, Xiino (IMHO the best one for Treo 270) spontaneously resets Treo 600, iPanel seems to have the same problem as Blazer, the only difference is that it shows some text in Russian, but some is unreadable, depending on fonts used. PocketLink is the slowest one and also does not work properly...

Also I installed the suggested PiLoc-Russian-OS52-Lite.zip version - no luck, it supports on-screen keyboard, docs in iSilo, mail, but no Internet in Russian :-(((

Anther problem for me is SMS in Russian, it was resolved by Paragon for Treo 270

BTW, Vigor which module do you use for Cyrhack V? I tried it but letter "L" disappeared from all menus :-)

WBR

Vigor which module do you use for Cyrhack V? I tried it but letter "L" disappeared from all menus :-)

WBR
    Yes I had the same problem with Russian (1251) and Russian (KOI8-R) modules, but once I switched to RussianTT (1251) all is fine. I reported the problem on their forum. I do not understand how they generate these modules to figure out what needs to be changed in them to get letter L working for the first 2 modules.
  8.    #8  
    Here's the verdict: Handspring Support finally answered my question: the Blazer does use proprietary fonts -- not system fonts. So, we can write to Paragon and ask them to also resease with their new version a set of fonts for Blazer,

or we can wait for a hack from someone else -- I just saw a russification hack for WebPro browser (it comes with Tungsten T + T2),

or we can look for a new browser that uses system fonts.

I would be great if on of the first 2 options happens

What do you guys think?
    Hi,

I believe iD
    What about NetFront? It comes with Sony Clie's. Since I don't have a Treo 600 yet, I can't try it.
    Hi again,

something's wrong, I repeat my post.
    I believe it would be great if you send HS mail to Paragon asking them to develop Rus fonts for Blazer. I've mailed Paragon already but still have no feedback. May be Vigor can also mail them, cause the more requests they receive, the better our chances are :-)
    Do you have any ideas where to get Webpro or Netfront to test them on Treo? Did not find any of them at palmgear and handango (they have Netfront for PPS and Symbian only). I suspect hese two are bundled with Palm or Sony devices, like Blazer with Treo and you can not get them for another handhelds...
    Do you have any ideas where to get Webpro or Netfront to test them on Treo? Did not find any of them at palmgear and handango (they have Netfront for PPS and Symbian only). I suspect hese two are bundled with Palm or Sony devices, like Blazer with Treo and you can not get them for another handhelds...
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do.../webpro30.html
    It uses system fonts - so russian works. There is no demo version available. I wish Treo 600 came with Palm One's Web Pro.
    $34.99 :-( If I only knew for sure that it works, I'd consider buying it... I've sent a request to palmOne regarding Webpro availability for Treo 600, will see what would be the answer.
    Web Pro works OK with Greek also using the localization software from penreader
    Thanx, dkorkont! And is there any D-pad support.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks all for the replies
    Yeah, i would go the WebPro way,
    but I sorta have a problem with that,
    I like the way Blazer works,
    and it's already in the ROM,
    so, I don't see why the hell I would have to download another browser.

I am hoping that Penreader will come out with a fix for Blazer, that would be the best solution, I mean after all, all it is is an extra set of fonts.

There's no trial version of WebPro?
    That's not good, shelling out $35 for a program which I may not like. How would we know how it handles websites with heavy Javascript, XML and such...

For example, the Blazer can visit my Bank's site without a problem, PIE never could. I would have to have to use 2 browsers instead of 1 good one.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by dkorkont
    Web Pro works OK with Greek also using the localization software from penreader
    Are you using it on a T600?
    Because this browser is not built for T600, it's mostly for the Tungsten line....

Probably does not have 5 way support...
    I use web pro with Treo 600, (included in Palm products as bonus software). Have not tested it extensivelly with Treo but been able to visit Greek newspaers sites and it was OK
    Do you know of a Palm based web browser that supports Active X controls? Thanks in advance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast