1.    #1  
    Hi, first time post for me.

I am awaiting the end of my current contract in January so I can upgrade to a 600 and so in preparation for my 'new baby' I have read virtually every post on here.

I was wondering what 'journeys' you have all had in arriving at the 600.

Personally I started with an 8k databank, but my journey has taken me through Psion Revo+, Cassiopea and Toshiba Pocket PC's, several laptops (all these were coupled with mobile phones in attempts to get them online), a nifty little thing called a Pogo, and presently an SPV Smartphone.

I dont want to speak too soon but the 600 may just be the one!!!
    My Journey

Zeez, let's see. I'll begin with the 3G phones: Started with the LG 5350 then decided I wanted a camera phone; Sanyo 8100, then decided I wanted a better camera so I went to the Samsung A600 to get a better camera i.e. zoom and flash. Then after learning about the Treo, and doing much research and accessing my needs, I gave it all up for the Smartphone and now I'm a Happy Treo owner for over a month now!

P.S. How can one afford do this within a year's time, for me it's Ebay. Sold all my old phones including their accessories with no trouble there.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I tend to keep my gadgets probably longer than the average person.

- Nokia (don't remember which one) and Palm III for 3 years
    - Kyocera 6035 for 2 years
    - Treo 600 for 3 weeks

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  4.    #4  
    Yes I know that route very well...and I have two 13 year old sons who enjoy getting daddies 'cast-offs.

The 12 month contracts in the UK were obviously not meant for someone like me.
    2000 or early 2001>>> Casio E125 (brick, so I frequently failed to carry it, which pretty much defeated my whole "enhanced self-org" rationale for the purchase, as did the inherent oddities of the OS {a desktop crash is one thing, on a mobile quite another})
    Early Sept 2001>>> Blackberry 950- pager size emailer; superb in designated function

tried but quickly returned >>> Handera 330 (too whatever to deal with Graffiti; also hated gray text on greenish background combo)
    somewhere along the line >>> BB upgraded to 957- PDA-size model
    ==============

mid-2002 >>> Treo 90- adored the keyboard, not thrilled with the resolution
    March 2003 >>> T90 replaced with hi-res OS5 Sony Clie TG50
    June 2003 >>> BB replaced with Tmo Color Sidekick (web, email, AIM)
    .............................. only e-purchase I've genuinely regretted.
    .............................. Now on replacement #3 per (lack of) quality issues.
    .............................. Nuff said, altho Tmo customer service thruout has been tops!!
    ==============

throughout >>> Verizon no-frills cell
    ==============

whenever Tmo cooperates >>> Treo 600
    soon-to-be-ebay'ed
    >> TG50 package w/folding keyboard, speaker cradle, all orig equipment, memory sticks (pro & standard)
    >> SideKick (not sure here; I fear "bad karma")
    >> BB 957 (shoulda done this long ago; weird sentimental attachment, I guess)
    >> Verizon's cell phone

Ahhhh, Treo 600: All-in-one, at long last (see previous "cooperate Tmo" notation-- sigh)
  6.    #6  
    You have just reminded me...I had a Sony Peg Clie SJ22 in there somewhere too...my first Palm OS handheld.

Hi-res too so i'm keen to see if I will be too disappointed with a bright low-res.
    From an "old guy"

Sharp Wizard (how can I transfer stuff?)
    HP-200LX (lots of fun with this one)
    Motorola Micro-TAC (Micro my arse!)
    Palm VII (sooo slow)
    Treo 270 (OK, but...)
    Treo 600!!!
    This is just over the past 2-3 years as I can remember

PDAS:
    Palm Vx
    Kyocera 6035
    Palm Vx
    IPAQ 3650
    IPAQ 3800 series
    Palm Tungsten T
    Treo 600

Phones:
    3 Samsung phones on Sprint PCS (2000-2002)
    Kyocera 6035 (inbetween)
    Moved to AT&T (2002-current)
    Nokia 6360
    Sony t68is
    Sony t39m
    Treo 600

Gotta agree with earlier posting, eBay is the best way to keep upgrading your tech goodies.
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
    Like the others here, I too have used other high-tech phones. What you need to be prepared for though is the newness of this thing. Yep, the newness of it.

You will find apps you like, install them and be happy with them until an upgrade comes out and you just have to upgrade (just because). There will be apps you like that you install and they work, sort of. You upgrade that app because of a bug/feature fix and find it still does not completely work. In some cases this is to be expected, especially when you are involved with a beta process. The fun and misery of it.

There are also apps out there that you will pay money for and find little if any support from the developer. At that point, look to a forum similar to this one.

There will also be issues that just do not go away. Never. For instance, the way the Treo handles the array of tones/alarms, et cetera. The keyguard function at this time has many a developer hard at work, while others seem to have it solved.

You'll look at what you have on it and have to decide what to get rid of and what to keep. Will you need extra memory? I did and put a 512mb card in. The problem with the card though is that it pops out on occasion. Yes, it really does, regardless of whether it is cased or not.

Speaking of cases - don't make the mistake of not obtaining and not using it. A case is a must. The problem now becomes, what kind of case. Slide in, strap in, on the belt, in the pocket, et cetera. Each have advantages/ disadvantages.

Speaking of noises/alarms, you will also have to put forth time on figuring out what sounds you want to hear. Will you need a headphone jack to hear what PocketTunes is doing?

Issues - be prepared to take time and spend some money.

In the money area - I purchased my Treo from Handspring ($415 bottom line), the swivel case from Handspring, a car charger from Treo Central that still has not arrived and it's been over a month, updates to programs I had on my last phone and new programs. It really has not been cheap, though I did expect to spend more than I have.

My wife has a Treo 300 and states she will wait until things calm down with the 600 before she upgrades.

Am I satisfied with the 600? Yes and no. Would I purchase it again? No, I should have waited a few months.

Good luck and happy playing. The pros far outweigh the cons.

Ben

---------------
    Originally posted by ArtyCarl
    Hi, first time post for me.

I am awaiting the end of my current contract in January so I can upgrade to a 600 and so in preparation for my 'new baby' I have read virtually every post on here.

I was wondering what 'journeys' you have all had in arriving at the 600.

Personally I started with an 8k databank, but my journey has taken me through Psion Revo+, Cassiopea and Toshiba Pocket PC's, several laptops (all these were coupled with mobile phones in attempts to get them online), a nifty little thing called a Pogo, and presently an SPV Smartphone.

I dont want to speak too soon but the 600 may just be the one!!!
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Palm Pilot Professional - many years with modem attachment
    various run of the mill cell phones
    RIM 857 through eLink (Blackberry )
    Kyocera 6035
    Treo 270
    Treo 180 (backup phone for emergencies)
    Treo 600

Danita
  11.    #11  
    I have belonged to other 'smartphone' forums and this is the norm. If anything the 600 seems a little more stable and reliable (going on the vast majority of posts) than those I have been involved with in the past.

You just have to accept teething problems and the like...I always think a good forum can actually do a lot of good as far as getting these things ironed out...who knows who might be reading this stuff.
    I am very pleased to know that thos forum is visited by a good number of developers. Ben

---------------

Originally posted by ArtyCarl
    I have belonged to other 'smartphone' forums and this is the norm. If anything the 600 seems a little more stable and reliable (going on the vast majority of posts) than those I have been involved with in the past.

You just have to accept teething problems and the like...I always think a good forum can actually do a lot of good as far as getting these things ironed out...who knows who might be reading this stuff.
    Heh. I'm an old Newton user... got a 120 sometime around 1998 or 1999. What a fantastic machine for its time (by then they'd gotten the handwriting recog. right), right in-between a PDA and a laptop. I think the Newton recognized my writing better than any Palm ever recognized my Graffiti!

But, alas, the Newton was killed shortly thereafter, and besides being expensive to begin with (and large compared the the newer Palms), it became obvious that it would get even more expensive to continue to support with the changes in computers.

When Handspring was spawned I sold the Newton for whatever it was worth on eBay and bought myself one of those funky-colored Visor Deluxes, that must have been sometime in 2000. I don't think I ever ended up using the SpringBoard slot, but I appreciated that it was there, and the care that Handspring took with tweaking the standard Palm OS to make it more useable for organization.

With my first two handhelds, I really just wanted to be organized, and they accomplished that well. On paper, I was useless, so making organization fun, easy, and synched with my computer was a huge goal. But I was also an internet addict (still am!) and started trying to find ways to connect these devices. I had an 802.11 connection in my PowerBook, but there really weren't any public hotspots then - it was more of a home convenience thing.

The Palm VII was an interesting product, but ugly, awkward, slow, and the pricing scheme made no sense whatsoever. Enter the Palm i705. I knew I was leaving behind the new world of color screens and Clie-like multimedia, but the i705 sold me on the viability of using a Palm Pilot as a communication tool. I didn't have a cell phone, and in college, an AIM connection is really the more useful tool. By the end of my contract at $40/month, it was starting to get a little old, and I went looking for another device that was maybe a little more solid, better screen, etc. Writing IMs and emails in graffiti was also getting to me, and the thumboard I purchased made the i705 too bulky to fit in a pocket.

Long story short (too late), I found myself back with Handspring using a Treo 270. To me, this was like an i705 done right - smaller, color screen, thumboard included, full web access, and the included cell phone was just kind of a bonus (I wasn't even paying that much more for a plan). People complain about the Treo's size, and how awkward it looks to talk into, but to me it was the only convergence device worth tolerating. I looked at a lot of them (including some "just" cell phones), but for people who didn't want to carry around a cell AND a PDA, the Treo was such a space saver. It really was smaller than anything else out there, and so much more useable.

When the 600 was announced, it was a no-brainer. The Treo is still the only convergence device that "gets it," a couple of generations later. I can't wait until mine comes on Monday so I can start using it!

Since my taste has evolved from organization to include communication, I really do wish I could find a device with Bluetooth and 802.11 built-in. Bluetooth is more of a convenience, since my PowerBook has it built-in, and to make myself feel better I purchased the USB/Power combo cable (I'd have to have at least 1 cord going to the Treo to charge it). I think that until Bluetooth is standard in cars and prices come down, the next generation of Treos will be out anyway. But 802.11 is what I really want in my next handheld along with cellular access - truly a device I can use anywhere. I believe they're starting to crank out the first of these dual-use chips. I love my treo, but I still find myself bringing my PowerBook to surf at the local coffeehouse because of the faster connection. GPRS is great when you don't have broadband access, but let's face it, it still crawls.

That's about it - I really do love convergence devices and I can't wait to see what the next generation brings. I really think that in 2-3 years we will finally be "there" with a dream device. Until then, the T600 is damn near close enough.

S
  14.    #14  
    I realised things were getting out of hand (literally) when I went to Paris 2 years back. I carried a laptop with bluetooth adapter, 2 mobile phones, spare batteries for both laptop and phones and enough software to open a small shop...with a view to 'keeping in touch'.

Roll on January and upgrade time.