Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just installed and set up. It's perfect! 5 way is BRILLIANT!
    Also using McPhling. Between those 2 programs and T600 internal favorites there are tons of ways to launch apps.
    Really glad to be able to hide stuff like GETBC and WELCOME.

Everyone should get Launcher X everyone!
    Originally posted by firstbeat
    Also using McPhling. Between those 2 programs and T600 internal favorites there are tons of ways to launch apps.

Launcher-X might allow you to navigate and launch with the 5-way, but ZLauncher also allows (on a long center press) access to a complete menu of operations on an application (like Launch, Change Category, Copy To Card, Beam, Send, Info, Delete, etc).

ZLauncher is the more powerful app if you never want to use your stylus again in the launcher.

-- Rod (no affiliation with either company or product)

Hey Jeff!
    Couldn't agree more!
    Last edited by millerhifi; 12/07/2003 at 09:36 AM.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Originally posted by rwhitby

Launcher-X might allow you to navigate and launch with the 5-way, but ZLauncher also allows (on a long center press) access to a complete menu of operations on an application (like Launch, Change Category, Copy To Card, Beam, Send, Info, Delete, etc).

ZLauncher is the more powerful app if you never want to use your stylus again in the launcher.

-- Rod (no affiliation with either company or product)

For the one time in my life, I actually read the manual, and was quite suprised that you COULD navigate the bottom LX gadgets via Nav-Pad and "option" key. It's a little tricky, but just like ZL, you have that functionality without touching the stylus. You could beam, card copy, mail attachments, info, delete, etc.

One thing we're missing w/ LX, though, is the "homer" favorites utility that they talked about implementing a year ago. Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I saw that in the manual.
    According to Installigent, LaunchEM version 4.0 will be out this month, so this launcher is still alive and kicking. Per Installigent in response to my question about the rumored demise of the company and LaunchEM:

No we're good as gold.

We did go through a few months where the previous owners were preventing
    us from supporting customers efficiently.

Launch 'Em 4.0 is due out shortly (this month!)

Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Installigent Team

I suspect 4.0 will be designed to work on the Treo 600 feature wise, and could be just as good as Launcher X, maybe better.
    I've been using Zlauncher for a little while now, and really have enjoyed using it. BUT, now I see this app, and am wondering what's the difference between the two? ZLauncher vs LauncherX, let the games begin!

Comments from those who have used both is appreciated!
  7.    #7  
    I've never used zLauncher, so it's hard to compare. All I can say is Launcher x worked flawlessly on my t300 and now its been ROCK SOLID on my T600 for a few days now. Honestly, as I said before...between McPhling and the built in launch functions of the Treo600 favorites, I use Launcher X to A) give me a nicer-more colorfull interface when I look at my palm applications, B) Hide crap like "Get BC", "Welcome", "Tutorial", etc, and C) rename/beam/send applications through snappermail via the tools on the bottom.

I see HiLauncher has been released to support T600...Is ther any need to have McPhling, LauncherX, AND HiLauncher?

Lastly, the only thing I would like to see regarding Launcher X are some more skins options for the 160x160 T600. The included skin is ok, but the few others that I've downloaded and tried looked fuzzy. Most of the skins out there are hi rez. Now that Treo Central has named Launcher X their favorite launcher, maybe they can use their influence to get some killer skins designed!

Thanks
    I am using HiLauncher (HiL)and LauncherX (LX) together. Fantastic!

What HiLauncher allows you to do, which LX and most other Launchers don't is to launch a pre-configured app from within any other app.

For example:
    I use LX to go to Memo. Now I want to go to SplashID. I have to go back to LX and select the tab with SplashID and then launch SplashID.

With HiL, the same scenario, except, while in Memo I just hold down my Diary key and select SplashID from the list, look up my info - and return to Memo without ever going to the default or third-party launcher.

So, one might ask "why have LX"?

HiLauncher is good but I have found that if you configure too many apps, you end up performing just as many key presses (you can only configure 10 apps (or folders) in one panel and then you really have to configure another panel/folder). HiLauncher is great for your 10 most used apps. LX is great for the rest.

ps. HiLauncher is Treo 600 D-Pad aware.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Thanks for the review!!!

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    When I use launcher X with snappermail and try to open an attachment in quicksheet, it crashes every time and causes a soft reset. Also, what is the deal with the skins? There aren't even a handful for 160x160! I really am looking for a launcher where I can change an icon for a program also. I am going to try out Z-launcer and see how that works. Megalauncher would be nice but no support for Treo 600 and no replies when I write to megasoft support. Can anyone else tell me if they have tried opening snappermail attachments in Launcher X to no avail?
    I use both Launcher X and SM in conjuction w/Quickoffice and don't have any issues at all. Maybe you have another app that isn't playing nice here.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I have been using Launcher X 1.1 for a week now and it is flawless (and I have put it to the test....including opening attachments with SnapperMail).

GREAT LAUNCHER !!!!
    I tried ZLauncher and Launcher X over the past two weeks and although there seemed to more functions available in the ZL, it gave me brain freeze. Too much too fast. I also didn't care for the UI on ZLauncher although I tried only a couple of skins.

I vote for LauncherX...
    Technology Rules!
    LauncherX
    MyToday
    Fileman
    BackupMan
    Great Combo!
    The main reason that I took LauncherX over ZLauncher and SilverScreen is the fact that:
    1. LauncherX is the only one I saw that have the network coverage indicator
    2. ZLauncher graphic is way too "busy" for the small treo screen, it is really not "clean" and the fonts and icons on the tabs and the bottom are hard to read/see

LauncherX is the best for the t600... so far...

HeadShot
    HeadShot

http://mytreo.textamerica.com
    1. ZLauncher supports creating shortcuts to apps installed on the expansion card. You can move apps back and forth easily. This eliminates the need for apps like PowerRun.

2. ZLauncher has a built-in file manager that eliminates the need for apps like FileZ.

3. With ZLauncher's QuickLaunch feature, it's not really necessary to install a 3rd party launcher like HiLauncher. The QuickLaunch feature can be configured to launch from within other applications. I should note that I DO have a 3rd party launcher installed (SpeedLaunch) that I think is great.

4. While the default configuration for ZLauncher may seem a little busy, you can hide the areas at the top and bottom of the screen to get a very clean look.

5. The price! ZLauncher is $12 and Launcher X is $24 (though it's on sale for $19 right now at PalmGear).

My only complaint with ZLauncher... no signal indicator. I've contacted the developer about this. Hopefully this will be supported soon.
    In your words...

1. Launcher X supports creating shortcuts to apps installed on the expansion card. You can move apps back and forth easily. This eliminates the need for apps like PowerRun.

2. Launcher X has a built-in file manager that eliminates the need for apps like FileZ.

3. No need to "tune" the default configuration, and the tabs on the top are clean and readable

4. Signal indicator is key in a Phone

5. No crashes so far

6. Great 5-way support
    HeadShot

http://mytreo.textamerica.com
    I just got my T600 after drooling over my father's for the past month (previously had the Tungsten W, doesn't compare). The only issue I've stumbled on so far is the use of the LX skin. For some reason LX isn't recognizing that I have a skin loaded (I can't select it from the Preferences menu). Any one know why this would happen, and what the fix is? Thanks in advance...
  18.    #18  
    All I can suggest is make sure you're not using any of the high res skins. The regular ones work fine for me although I haven't found any that I like better than the standard one that comes with the program. If you find any I'd love to know about them.
    The Velo II LX Skin 1.051 is really nice. It is one of the few low-res skins available.
    It is on PalmGear http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...D&prodID=51676

Zane
    All I can suggest is make sure you're not using any of the high res skins. The regular ones work fine for me although I haven't found any that I like better than the standard one that comes with the program. If you find any I'd love to know about them.
    Dumb me, that was it...I was used to using the Tungsten W, the only PalmOne OS 4.0 Hi-Res device...

Thanks for reminding me...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast