1.    #1  
    Like a bunch of other people I am eagerly awaiting a bluetooth SDIO card for the T600, but suppose one never comes. It does seem likely that we'll eventually get a SDIO 802.11 card. So my question: if we had the wifi card, could we use the Treo as a wireless modem connected to a laptop or another PDA with wifi INSTEAD of bluetooth?

I'm guessing that some other sort of software would need to be written, perhaps basically something to bridge the internal modem to the wifi card. Anybody have anthing more informed to say about this?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    Like a bunch of other people I am eagerly awaiting a bluetooth SDIO card for the T600, but suppose one never comes. It does seem likely that we'll eventually get a SDIO 802.11 card. So my question: if we had the wifi card, could we use the Treo as a wireless modem connected to a laptop or another PDA with wifi INSTEAD of bluetooth?

I'm guessing that some other sort of software would need to be written, perhaps basically something to bridge the internal modem to the wifi card. Anybody have anthing more informed to say about this?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Well you wouldn't be connecting the Treo right to your computer. I would assume if you had a wifi capable computer, you'd have a wireless router. That's what you'd be connecting to.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Well you wouldn't be connecting the Treo right to your computer. I would assume if you had a wifi capable computer, you'd have a wireless router. That's what you'd be connecting to.
    No I think you're misunderstanding the question. Bascially I want the Treo to connect to the Internet, and then the computer to connect to the Treo (thence to the internet) via WiFi. In other words, completely out of range of a WiFi base station. Another way of thinking about this, the Treo itself would become the base station, packet bridging between the WiFi card and its internal modem.

The question: is the possible?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by mathewlu

No I think you're misunderstanding the question. Bascially I want the Treo to connect to the Internet, and then the computer to connect to the Treo (thence to the internet) via WiFi. In other words, completely out of range of a WiFi base station. Another way of thinking about this, the Treo itself would become the base station, packet bridging between the WiFi card and its internal modem.

The question: is the possible?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    OK, I see what you're saying now. Yeah, I did misunderstand your question. I would assume it's POSSIBLE, given the right software for the wifi card. But considering there's no wifi card for Palm at all, it's hard to guess. Sandisk has been working on releasing one, but I don't know what the specs would be. My suggestion would be to check out PPC forums because Sandisk has a wifi card for PPC PDA's. Ask those people if the card has that ability. That should give you an indication of what the Palm version might be able to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewlu

Regards,
    --Mathew

Do you mean a BT-to-wifi bridge? Those already exist in the market like from Possio. Kinda expensive though...

http://www.possio.com/scripts/default.asp

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I think he means using internet connection sharing with a laptop and the 650 except using the 650 as the gateway computer. It's a feasable passibility, but one that I doubt we'll be seeing.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous