1.    #1  
    I've been trying to find information on the directory structure for an SD card used by a Treo 600. Specifically, I want to transfer some JPEG images to my SD card directly (without using hotsync) and have them show up in the camera filelist. The Help menu on the 600 just says:

"The Card Info Application displays summary information for each known directory type found on the card. Information is displayed about the files found in a directory that match the expected suffix for that directory."

I couldn't find any information in the manual. I do know that there is a directory called "PALM\Launcher" which is where I assume Palm apps would go.

Anyone know what directory to put JPGs in in order to have them show up or any more details about what directory structure the 600 looks for on an SD card?

Thanks.
    Work2Fish,

There are many third party apps that allow you to browse the SD card using Palm's VFS interface and move files around.

In regards to the picture program, I too am unable to figure out where and how it stores pictures, and how to get them to / from SD card.

Anyone know this....?

Glenn
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    the pictures program finds images stored in the palm internal memory or in the DCIM directory of the SD card. You can "move" pictures from internal memory to the card, where the will be stored in the DCIM directory. In addition, if you use your PC to add jpgs to the DCIM directory, they will be viewable fromt he Pcitures app on the treo
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by sbono13
    the pictures program finds images stored in the palm internal memory or in the DCIM directory of the SD card. You can "move" pictures from internal memory to the card, where the will be stored in the DCIM directory. In addition, if you use your PC to add jpgs to the DCIM directory, they will be viewable fromt he Pcitures app on the treo
    Thanks for the tip. It appears to be a bit more complicated than this, however. When I move a picture from the 600 to the SD card, it indeed puts it in the G:\DCIM directory (where G: is my SD card's drive letter on my PC). But it also puts what appears to be a thumbnail-sized image into G:\DCIM\TREO_TN\DCIM\ with a .pbmp extension.

If I place a .jpg in G:\DCIM from my PC it still does not show up, presumably because it needs that thumbnail. Is there an easy way to create this without hotsyncing?

Also, what is the "Pictures" app? Is this something different than the camera apps' file lister?

Regards,
    Just move the images to the /DCIM default directory and use one of the many freeware image viwers like JpegView. I do this all the time and it works seamlessly...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Just move the images to the /DCIM default directory and use one of the many freeware image viwers like JpegView. I do this all the time and it works seamlessly...
    What I'd really like to do with those images, though, is have them available in other apps so that I can get better pictures, say, for the Phone app that shows who is calling. Simply putting them in the DCIM folder does not work for this.

Am I missing something?
    To use a picture for picture-caller-ID, the picture needs to be in internal memory. Same thing with MIDI ringtones. Phone can't use 'em unless they are in internal memory.
    I am sure I am missing something really simple here... How do I take a picture with the TREO and then "move" it to the SD card? Is there a function within the pictures app?

Glenn
  9.    #9  
    Again,

Where is the "pictures" app? What category is it in? When I first got my 600, I did a hotsync which transferred some of my Treo 270 stuff and so I'm hoping it didn't get erased.

Also, thanks for the notes about Caller ID needing the picture in internal memory. I guess I have to hotsync them, then.

Regards,
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    On the Sprint T600, there is an app called "pictures." It's the one used to take pictures with the camera. you can move pictures from internal memory to the SD card from there (and vice versa). The move command is the same one that let's you re-categorize pictures. if you have an SD card installed, it appears on the frop down list as one of the destinations you can move an image to.

I am definitely able to display and manipulate jpgs that i drop into the DCIM directory from my PC using this app.
    Last edited by sbono13; 12/07/2003 at 03:56 PM.
  11.    #11  
    On the Sprint T600, there is an app called "pictures." It's the one used to take pictures with the camera. you can move pictures from internal memory to the SD card from there (and vice versa). The move command is the same one that let's you re-categorize pictures. if you have an SD card installed, it appears on the frop down list as one of the destinations you can move an image to.

I am definitely able to display and manipulate jpgs that i drop into the DCIM directory from my PC using this app.
    OK, I finally figured out what was meant, the pictures part of the camera application and then setting the preferences to point to the SD card.

BTW, the thumbnails are also automatically created, too.

All is well -- thanks for the help.
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler

I am sure I am missing something really simple here... How do I take a picture with the TREO and then "move" it to the SD card? Is there a function within the pictures app?

Glenn
    take picture
    save it
    open it
    select move from the menu. last option is sd card.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

take picture
    save it
    open it
    select move from the menu. last option is sd card.
    OK...I got it...thanks!

Glenn