1.    #1  
    Forgive me if this has been covered or if this is posted in the wrong section.

Has anyone tried both the Sprint CDMA and Cingular GSM versions? If so, what are your thoughts about reception, carrier coverage, and the phones themselves?

I know reception and carrier coverage are territory dependant...but for this thread, let's assume we are sticking to cities and not the sticks.

Both have their pluses and minuses (the carriers AND the phone versions).

I'm currently testing both and will post my thoughts on them a little later.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  2.    #2  
    ...BUMP...

I know someone here (other than myself) was crazy enough to buy both models.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    My friends have the cdma T600s and I have a GSM version. As far as the phones themselves go, I think the GSM version is a little better. It can use real SMS, works on four different GSM standards, so all over the world. And, you can always have backup handsets for time when the Treo isn't needed. Coverage wise, I believe Sprint is slightly better then T-Mobile or ATT GSM. Customer service with Sprint and ATT is abysmal compared to T-Mobile. So in a nushell, it really depends on what you want or need the phone for. I use a lot of wireless data and need acccess in Europe, so Tmobile is really my only option. Lastly, I used to think that PCS vision was faster than GPRS, but these new test web sites for Treo aren't showing that. GPRS is around 43kbps and Vision is maybe around 50kbps. Latency on Vision is huge, 900ms, making it unusable for web browsing to heavy sites. (a client has a PCS Vision card) For wireless the Verizon 3G network with 500kbps rates is best.

Hope all this helps. Eiither way, Treos rock! T-Mobile is missing the boat by not selling them.

Mike
    Palm 1000 > Casio E10 > HP 660 > Palm Vx > HP 720 > Treo 270 > Treo 600
    I could not resist the temptation and thus ordered the Sprint version. Used it for 10 days and then returned it (reasons later).
    Ordered the Cingularized Treo 600 to use with my T-Mobile sim. I just got it today. Will post my comparison in a day or two.

Stay tuned...
    I'm using both. The sprint version t600 is the main one I use for data and voice. the t600 gsm version that i use is for international text messaging. I'm using a t-mobile sim card in it. I don't have any data network package with the pay as you go t-mobile sim card. I've asked but it is super expensive. Plus when i try to do any data, it signs on, but disconnects me right away. I'm heading to London after xmas and I have a UK t-mobile sim card waiting for me to test out. It is also a pay as you go sim card. I'll be calling t-mobile to see if I can add some type of pay as you go data plan. Stay tuned.

As for the reception...it seems to be about the same. I can't compare the battery life between the two because my sprint t600 is plugged into my laptop all day while it is charging and while it is acting as a modem with pdanet. I would have to say that using the gsm t600 to just text message and no voice, and limited pda functions, I'd say the battery lasts about a week (on 24 hours a day). If my memory serves me right, I charged it last monday and just charged it sunday. When I did charge it, the battery said it had 34% left. I think. I'll run another test to see how long the battery lasts in standby.

I hope this helps.
    I think one major consideration has to do with data use. My understanding is that, if you receive a call while you have an active data connection, the GSM version will ring and the CDMA version will send the call to voice mail. As I am a heavy data user (I run an instant messaging program and have my email checked frequently), this is a big deal for me.
    Originally posted by infobhan
    I think one major consideration has to do with data use. My understanding is that, if you receive a call while you have an active data connection, the GSM version will ring and the CDMA version will send the call to voice mail. As I am a heavy data user (I run an instant messaging program and have my email checked frequently), this is a big deal for me.
    Just to clear this up a bit on the CDMA (Sprint) side....

If you are actively sending and receiving TCP/IP data in the app you are running in the Palm this is true. But once you stop this (or if the app you are using has not sent data for a while), the connection goes "dormant", and you can send and receive calls.

The TREO 600 implementation of this is very nice -- it goes dormant quickly, and then reconnects when packets arrive.

In contrast, I used a Kyocera 7135 on Verizon with unlimited data for the better part of a year. I won't go into it, but the implementation sucked compared to the TREO's.

The GSM TREO's may have the capability to accept a call when a GPRS connection is active. But if it suspends the TCP/IP connection, the app will timeout and you will get your call. Maybe it's better that your call goes to voicemail and your app finishes it's TCP/IP business (be it laptop or PDA app)?

Glenn
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler

The GSM TREO's may have the capability to accept a call when a GPRS connection is active. But if it suspends the TCP/IP connection, the app will timeout and you will get your call. Maybe it's better that your call goes to voicemail and your app finishes it's TCP/IP business (be it laptop or PDA app)?
    As I understand it, the GSM Treo will caller ID the calling party and give you the option of suspending the data download and taking the call. If you choose to ignore the call, it will go to voicemail. If you choose to take the call, the data download will resume once your call is terminated. I don't see ANY disadvantage in having the option to take the call.

steve