Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Wow, I already had one of those lying around. I never knew it would be so useful.

Thanks
    I agree a software solution would be the most elegant. I use Pocket Tunes for audiobooks and talk radio recordings and using my exisiting headset would be ideal. Still, doesn't anyone want to make some money building these little adaptors with an impedance toggle switch? I'd pay $15 for one in a heartbeat, and I'll bet there are others on here who would too.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieB
    OK, I'm game - I'll destroy $10 worth of parts from Radio Shack in this endeavor. One question, tho - when I get the 3/32" tip, what's the pinout I should use? What color to tip, ring, and ground?
    WillieB, did you ever take this on? I tried once and found out that I couldn't manage to get solder to stick to the tiny wires in the adapter. I tried cleaning them of any insulation, but the wires were so thing that they were pretty much destroyed by any method I used.

I'm not sure what exactly it is, but many wires have a "painted on" insulator so to speak. If you heat the wire you'll see a gummy substance start to form on the surface, and this keeps the solder from sticking. I think this is the case with the radio shack adapter.

As for the pinout, I don't remember. sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I must hav missed the email about the reply.

I'm pretty busy at work and at ome right now, but I'm still interested in making this adapter if such a device hasn't already been developed.

If anyone can offer suggestions on how to get around the gummy mess or the thin wires, it would be greatly appreciated.

--TechDude
    How about using an attenuating patch cable with the Treo 600 stereo headset adapter?
    Quote Originally Posted by xja
    As has been discussed, the T600 often won't send audio out the headphone jack when it is plugged into a line-in input on a stereo (and sometimes certain cassette adapters). It senses the impedance on the tip (left) channel and if it exceeds a certain threshhold (and is not an open circuit), it assumes an earphone/mic is connected....earphone in the ring (right) channel, mic in the tip (left) channel. The threshhold is somewhere just over 1000 ohms, it appears. This is because the mic is about 1400 ohms, while most headphones are under 100 ohms (some are higher) and most cassette adapters are under 1000 ohms.

When it decides that an earphone/mic is connected, it routes the phone audio out the left channel (to the earphone) and it routes any audio from apps like PocketTunes to the internal speaker.

Usually the line-in input impedance on a stereo (as well as mixers and some cassette adapters) is well above this threshhold, so the Treo thinks a mic is plugged into the right channel.... too smart for its own good! So to get the Treo to send audio out, you need to lower the apparent impedance that the Treo sees.

One kludge workaround is plug-in a Y adapter into the audio jack. Connect one side of the Y adapter to your stereo (or whatever line-in you are trying to connect to) and in other side, connect a set of headphones. This way you are putting a low impedance device in parallel, thereby lowering the impedance that the Treo sees.

If you are a real geek and like soldering, with less than a dollar of Radio Shack parts, you can modify an audio cable to put a 1000 ohm resistor between the left channel and ground and between the right channel and ground. That will lower the impedance below the threshhold and trick the Treo into sending audio out the jack.

Neither of these solutions are ideal from an audiophile perspective but they do work.

Hopefully someone (maybe Handspring/PalmOne?) will make such an adapter for us, or better yet, if possible, modify the software to let the user override the impedance sensing (assuming it is not all done in hardware, which is quite possible).
    Respect is due!!!!
    don't know how you worked that out, I suspected it might be an impedance issue, but Orange completely dissmissed the idea. And I listened to them(sucker)
    Well done and thanks.
    So.... never mind... I found the answer here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=impedance
    Post #7 by KEYofR

-- My original post below --
    Hey,

As I expect most of you know, Seidio makes adapter/headphone thingies that have a switch between "mp3 mode" and phone mode... so a single thing that plugs into the T600's earpiece/headphone mini-jack. Given the discussion here about the impedance being the problem for some external speakers/stereos, could it be that the switch they use does the necessary impedance switch?

And if so... maybe their headset adapter will provide what we need for those stereos/speakers:
    http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...%2DSL&CartID=1

Has anyone tried?
    => Shadowhawk
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 08/24/2004 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Found answer to my question...
  7. xja
    there's a good chance that the inline volume control could reduce the impedance of the audio out circuit sufficiently to allow connection to a high impedance stereo input without the Treo switching to phone mode (just like the Radio Shack volume pot does). but it's depends on the design and components of the volume control and I haven't tried it, so that's just conjecture ...would be curious to know if it works, though.
    The Radio Shack Shack adapter works great and really enjoy its ease-of-use for external speakers. If anyone is looking for a cheap external speaker solution, I can rec these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1&type=product

at Best Buy for portability and sound.

Yes, they are incredibly cheesy-looking. But they are light, pack up into a little bag and sound surprisingly good! I looked at IM2 speakers at buy.com for $39.99, but buy.com now sucks and can't be trusted, so I decided not to take a chance.

Creative soundblaster minis are too expensive, so I was happy when I found these. Check 'em out, you can always return them (but I don't think you will.)
    I am in the middle of creating my own car cradle/charger/audio adaptor. According to the first post, "you can modify an audio cable to put a 1000 ohm resistor between the left channel and ground and between the right channel and ground." I thought I had read elsewhere on the board, though I cannot find it, that one only needed to place a resistor between the the left channel (tip) and the ground (sleeve). Would someone please be so kind as to shed some light on this? Muchos gracias.
    SONY Z100 (Sprint) --> Motorola StarTac 7868 (Sprint) --> Handspring Visor Deluxe --> Motorola V8160 (Verizon) --> Blackberry 957 (Cingular w/ GoodLink) --> PalmOne Treo 600 (TMobile w/ GoodLink) --> Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM on TMobile) with HBH-662 BT Headset --> Treo 700 w/x (Sprint) with iGuidance V3 / GlobalSat BT-359W GPS
  10. xja
    Quote Originally Posted by JudBaird
    I thought I had read elsewhere on the board, though I cannot find it, that one only needed to place a resistor between the the left channel (tip) and the ground (sleeve).
    Volume levels would be different between left and right channels. The resistance needs to be the same in both channels to prevent that.
    Quote Originally Posted by xja
    Volume levels would be different between left and right channels. The resistance needs to be the same in both channels to prevent that.

Interesting. Thanks!
    SONY Z100 (Sprint) --> Motorola StarTac 7868 (Sprint) --> Handspring Visor Deluxe --> Motorola V8160 (Verizon) --> Blackberry 957 (Cingular w/ GoodLink) --> PalmOne Treo 600 (TMobile w/ GoodLink) --> Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM on TMobile) with HBH-662 BT Headset --> Treo 700 w/x (Sprint) with iGuidance V3 / GlobalSat BT-359W GPS
    I am using the Seidio 2 in 1 Adaptor and I notice that when I am listening to MP3's using Pocket Tunes, the sound is *way* louder on the left speaker than the right speaker. The only way that I can sort of compensate for this is to adjust the balance on Pocket Tunes and adjust the "balance" bar to the far right. Even adjusted on the far right, the sound is still noticeably louder on the left side than on the right side but at least with this setting, I can hear from the right side/speaker.

Is this the same problem as described here? Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any ideas of a solution or is my Treo 600 in need of a hardware repair?
    Picked up the inline volume control adapter from Radio Shak for $6.99.
    Works beautifully, and I can now play MP3's on my car stereo via the AUX jack.

This thread was very helpful :-D
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    I used this cable and it worked great for my car stereo. I'm thinking about soldering a 3/32" tip on the cable so that I don't have to have two adapters plugged into my Treo. But for now, it's a quick, easy, and cheap fix.

I like this option better than soldering resistiors into a audio cable because it offers variable resistence as aposed to being a fixed resistence that may not work in every application.

I was pleasently surprised when my Treo was able to feed audio to my car stereo at ALL volumes offered by this cable. I had suspected that it might only work at a certain volume and below, but apparently even at maximum volume there is enough resistence there to trick the Treo into thinking it's plugged into a set of headphones.

Hope this helps,
    TechDude
    Can you please repost the information about the cable with the volume control? The link appears to be dead...
    There is a software solution - "Freedom" from www.toysoft.ca. Works great. At $14.95, it's more expensive than the in-line volume control, but I have one less piece of gear. Another idea I haven't tried is the Sedio 2-in-1 adapter. That would combine the in-line volume (impendance solution) with the jack converter.

Santa gave me a pair of Bose QC2s - wow! (Expensive) powered, noise cancelling headphones that don't work with Treo unless you have one of the impedance matching solutions. Awesome sound quality - especially on an airplane. After the Bose QC2s, ear buds are a joke for music!
  16. f40
    As others have reported earlier I too found that the external speakers would not work with this unit. I tried two sets of powered speakers and neither worked. I read up on the impedance issue & figured I would give it a try, so for a few dollars worth of parts soldered a 550 ohm resistor on to each lead of a male 3.5mm plug, got a two way adaptor & plugged it in to the unit. 100% sucess with no difference in volume on each channel.
    Now if Seidio are serious about improving thier products, then I suggest that maybe they should do this wiring inside the unit with a external switch that can be set for powered or non powered speakers so that we do not have to go down this track.
    Steve
    Palm IIIx >- Treo 180 >- 270 >- 600 >- 650
    I use the headphone adapter connected to a 1/8 to RCA cable to an input on my car stereo and it works fine. For the record, it's the disc changer input and not the aux input. Great post though, looks like it's helping a lot of people out.
    papazano

who controls the past now controls the future
    who controls the present now controls the past

Kyocera 6035 (2001-2004) > Treo 600 (2004-Present)
    Just wanted to put in my thanks for this thread! After getting a car stereo that had a front auxiliary-input jack and finding that the Treo wouldn't output to the headphone jack at all when connected to the aux-input, I was pretty frustrated and disappointed. I went back and forth to a couple of Radio Shack stores because I thought one of my cables was at fault, but it turns out my initial assumption was right, that the resistance wasn't high enough when connected to the aux-in. Tomorrow I'll be making what I hope to be my last trip to Radio Shack for this endeavor to pick up an inline volume control. It sucks to have yet another connector in between my Treo & stereo, but it's better than having to deal with another software add-on.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12