Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I understand that Chatter does email. Anyone use it for that purpose?
    I'm aware of a few dozen (at least) who actively use Chatter for email. With any luck, some will respond....

Marc
    I'm interested in this, too. My hosting company is finally offering IMAP services (yay!), and I'm thinking about jumping on Chatter as a kind of simple, portable IMAP client. So make with the comments, IMAPing Chatterers! ...Er, please.
    Sheesh. It seems that Chatter IMAP users are a lazy bunch...

Marc
    Originally posted by mblank
    It seems that Chatter IMAP users are a lazy bunch...
    No, Marc -- you're just hyperactive. I mean, we appreciate the products of your hyperactivity, but... seriously, man: hyperactive.

P.S. Truthfully, it matters not to me -- I'm gonna give Chatter a run as an IMAP client for the Treo as soon as I have the opportunity to do so. (Wow, I'm sure everyone is really excited to hear that. Hey, I'm gonna have a cheese sandwich for lunch later, too. Um... yeah.)
    Include me among the hyperactive

I've been itching to see how the Chatter email implementation works. True push mail and synching folders are VERY appealing.

I've been using Snapper which can't synch with Outlook, so I have to keep referring back to my Sent folder to keep track of my correspondence.

And my workaround for push (actually 'pull') has been to forward my pop3 mail to sprintpcs, which then notifies me by SMS. I have to repeatedly clear my Sprint inbox, which is gettting awfully tiresome.

I'd switch to IMAP in a hearbeat if I could have good email functionality.
    I'm working on additional IMAP functionality at this point.

Currently, Chatter only looks at the Inbox folder and deletions on Treo can be made to sync back to the server.

Things I am thinking of adding:

1) Support for more folders (you'd have to specify which ones to check)

2) 2-way delete sync'ing (as an option)

3) Really optimized fetching (i.e. better than most PC clients...)

4) Some additional sending options (cc, bcc, forward)

Marc

p.s. I'm happy to hear other suggestions as well...
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I've tried it, but holding off for now. Marc is using "Flagged" as a means to track messages right now. Since the IMAP RFC states that \Flagged attribute is "Message is 'flagged' for urgent/special attention", some IMAP servers (including mine) map that to High Priority status, and all of the messages in my mailbox have their envelopes turned to "red" after Chatter tries to access them. I'll try again later if Mark finds a different way to track messages than the "Flagged" attribute.

Danita
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I use Chatter for push IMAP email and it works really well. I really like the fact that it does not "poll" the server for new messages and the only time it uses up battery is when messages are received by the server and are pushed to your Treo. This is a lot better implementation than SnapperMail's auto-fetch. The fact that enhancements and updates are always coming out for Chatter give it a huge plus in my book. If you have not tried IMAP with Chatter give it a shot...there is a 30 day trial period and once you get used to Chatter believe me you will love it!

Keith
    Peridoc-- I'm assuming that you're not getting your messges "Flagged"?

And that the current version of Chatter only 'sees' your Inbox folder?
    neill -

I've been using the "flagged" field for about a year, and (perhaps amazingly) Danitaz is the first person who's ever mentioned it! I'm looking into an alternative, by the way.

And "Inbox" is all that Chatter looks at currently. I am working out a scheme for handling other folders.

Marc
    How about support for SSL for direct connections to the server? This option would make chatter a no brainer for me. PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

Regards...
    SSL is on my agenda, although I'm not sure how long it will take to get this operational.

Marc
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I have not had any issues with the "flagged" message system that Marc has implemented, to answer your question. I use Chatter as a notification and reading tool for email and not as a full-fledged email client.

Keith
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    That is pretty much my intention as well - to use Chatter as a notification and reading tool.

Danita
    If you guys have been using Chatter for notification and reading, what client are you using in conjunction with this (for replies and attachments)? My understanding is that the other clients (Snapper, HS, Eudora) work with POP only.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I use VersaMail - there are a number of IMAP clients - 2banywhere, Iambic, Basejet, etc.

Danita
    Does Chatter use the same server for IM and IMAP e-mail? What is this server like? How reliable and long lived is it? Will the server be there 1 year, 5 years, 10 years down the road?
    I use Chatter for IMAP about half the time. I'll use it all the time once it supports the stuff Marc mentioned. I'd particularly like to be able to poll a folder other than inbox, so that I can create an 'urgent' folder a file stuff there (I don't want to be notified every time I get *any* email!) Once it syncs deletes both ways, and uses a custom flag other than Flagged, and downloads multiple messages at a time, it'll be pretty much the best IMAP client around (as long as you don't need attachments).
    Jeremy Howard
    www.fastmail.fm
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    Does Chatter use the same server for IM and IMAP e-mail? What is this server like? How reliable and long lived is it? Will the server be there 1 year, 5 years, 10 years down the road?
    Your email provider's server is used for IMAP. IMAP supports 'push' natively, so no gateway is required.
    Jeremy Howard
    www.fastmail.fm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast