Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't have a 600 yet (t-mobile hold out) but am curious is the keyboard really OK ? I have gotten so I can really bang out 2 handed text on the 270 and not sure how well the smaller keyboard will compare. Some say they get used to it after a little use but none say it is better or faster than 270 or 300. Your results ?
    Last edited by george_vc; 12/07/2003 at 03:51 PM.
    i think it's fine compared to the 300.

i wish the keys were further spaced apart, but the dommed keys really make a difference. i'll hit four keys at once with my fat fingers but be aiming at the "M" and an "M" will come out. It's neat how it works.

i type just as fast now as before.
    too soon to tell.

definately better one handed (better than one handed on the 270) .
    thumb gets crampy when thumbing letters on the left.

have to force myself to use the whole thumb instead of just the tip. I have a big thumb, but find that I try to use the tip (might be cause of he cramping) when i really dont have to.

I was never a great typist on the 270, but was pretty quick with the two thumbs. Now, I'm mostly sticking with one thumb.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by george_vc
    I don't have a 600 yet (t-mobile hold out) but am curious is the keyboard really OK ? I have gotten so I cane really bang out 2 handed text on the 270 and not sure how well the smaller keyboard will compare. Some say the get used to it but none say it is better or faster than 270 or 300. Your results ?
    The keyboard is cramped, but it hasn't been a problem. I've only had my 600 for a few days so its too early to tell how well it will work in the long run, if I had to choose 'today' I would choose the 270 keyboard.

I love my new 600 the keyboard does little to detract from that.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    I was wondering about that tiny keyboard on the phone since I am on the road so much and will need to enter data into ACT!. The damn buttons for dialing with DEFINITELY take time for me to get used to..... But, knowing how much data input I will be doing, I took the plunge and I've ordered the large keyboard for $52 on ebay.

I don't have any of the equipment yet but I'll share my results... I hope I don't regret buying the accessories...

I wonder how well I'll be able to dial while driving...
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Although I agree it's a bit "too early to tell" - I've really had not big problems using the keypad. It's true that it almost "tricks" you into getting it right - even though you feel like you've "fat fingered" a key and expect to see the wrong character on the screen it amazingly seems to be the correct character most of the time.

I think it will just take a bit to get used to the idea that you can "trust" that you are clicking the proper keys and not have to look so closely.

Danita
    I haven't used any other Treo, so I can't compare, but the 600 keyboard is acceptable when using two thumbs. I have to take care while typing, and I do get less accurate the longer I type. I like having the option of using it one-handed, and prefer the 600 for this reason.

Of course, mileage will vary. Some obvious advice, try typing on a demo model if you can.
    I find it less easy/fast to type on than the 270, but that this is a trade-off worth having for the smaller form factor...
    If you entering a lot of data into ACT!, then you definitely did the right thing my buying an external keyboard. I do a lot of studying with SuperMemo, which is basically a sophisticated flashcard program, and I wouldn't want to enter so much data with my thumbs.

The real problem for previous Treo users is unlearning the older key spacing. After seven weeks with the 600 I still find my thumbs occasionally reaching for the "phantom keys" of the 300.

My other problem is accidentally hitting the 5-way when I'm typing the keys directly below it (esp. T and Y), which highlights the next button or field. I've had to make a conscious effort to avoid doing this.

The new keyboad doesn't like thumbnails, so iif you don't want to keep them trim, then this is not the keyboad for you. But overall I like the raised keys and the tighter spacing to the older keyboard.
    I had a thumboard for my Clie, and it sucked! I am really enjoying the Treo 600 keyboard compared to that. It works better than you'd imagine just by looking at it. I use a Palm Wireless for long text. That works great also.

Does anyone know how to highlight text for copying, cutting and pasting using the keyboard?

What about the "/" stroke from bottom to top onthings like Doc To Go to get the bottom menu up?

I am still mistified about how you do those!
    I enjoy the thumb for IM and short e-mail; I use the external keyboard for longer memos and such - the combo of both works fine.
    I also find the keyboard a bit cramped but it's usable. Definitely not as good as the keyboard on my old Sidekick.

What concerns me more is the cheap, plastic feel of the keys. Maybe I'm just used to the rubber keys on the Sidekick, but the Treo overall seems better built.
    I just got my first Palm product since the Palm IIIc was brand new. The Treo 600 is very nice and not too difficult to type on. The small button take a little getting used to, but it's not bad at all...
    Originally posted by george_vc
    I don't have a 600 yet (t-mobile hold out) but am curious is the keyboard really OK ? I have gotten so I cane really bang out 2 handed text on the 270 and not sure how well the smaller keyboard will compare. Some say the get used to it but none say it is better or faster than 270 or 300. Your results ?
    OK? Yes. It's OK. Good. NO. The 270/300 is far better. Even my P900 does better....

Email junkies should stick to a blackberry. Typical users will find that it is TRUE beyond doubt that the Treo 600 keyboard is less user friendly than the prior Treos as well as both of the reviewed alternatives.

And one hand navigation only serves to aggravate the problems. Because the closer the desired key gets to your thumb, the less stable the Treo 600 becomes. Indeed, to me, it resembles a wet bar of soap in a shower. I've already dropped my Treo 600 a half dozen times, each time during reaching for keys like the M.

Most OBJECTIVE users acknowledge that the preferred way for Treo 600 data entry is two handed. That keeps the unit stable, and enhances your ability to hit the right keys.

My experience with the P900 shows that two handed data entry on the P900, using the virtual keyboard together with EziTap (a predictive text app) beats the daylights out of entering data via two handed Treo 600 keyboard entry. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

As to one handed entry, the T9 input with the P900 (especially after the phone learns your habits over time) is a draw to a slight edge over the Treo 600. The slower entry for individual keystrokes on the P900 is offset by the far higher error rates on the Treo 600.

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by zipmitz

. . . Indeed, to me, it resembles a wet bar of soap in a shower. I've already dropped my Treo 600 a half dozen times, each time during reaching for keys like the M.
    Personally, I've had no problems with dropping the phone. I've ordered a Piel Frama case just to have extra protection (heck, I dropped my last 270 the first day I had it and scratched the case, so this one isn't more prone to dropping for me at least).

My biggest keyboarding problem has been trying to get the double-click speed right for KeyCaps600. I type too fast, and haven't been able to find the "perfect" delay for KeyCaps to keep words like "hello" from becoming "he'o" etc. So, I guess for me, it's too "easy" to type on this one <g>.

Everyone is going to be different on this - we all have our preferred ways of working, typing, functioning, so for some the Treo keyboard will pose no difficulties, for others it will be too cramped, etc. I've had Blackberries, Graffiti only phones (Kyocera), Treo 180/270 and now the 600. They've all had their strenghts/weaknesses for me. The keyboard is no less usable on the T600 than any PDA keypad I've used.

Danita
    Originally posted by newtreouser

Hey what happened to my post sent from the Treo 600? I am on the computer now.
    I like the 600 keyboard much better than the 300. Having the * and # keys surrounding the number keys is absolutely essential. The 600 keys have better feedback and require less force. Most of the time I use my index finger but have started to experiment with using one or both thumbs, I think the fastest for me would be 2 thumbs. I have no major accuracy issues with index finger or thumb.

How fat are your fingers? For reference, my index finger and thumb can only click 2 adjacent keys at the same time and no more, no matter how hard I try. How many keys can you click at the same time?
    The new keyboard is great...I was a little uneasy at first(being very proficient with the 300) ..but all is good. Good design o shrink the device...just need that Hi-Rez screen and audio recording capability!

-CK
    Originally posted by newtreouser

Best response so far, I'd have to say. Look at it, it's elegant, concise and get's the point across. Pure genius.
    Hypothesis:

"If you have enough monkeys
    banging randomly on typewriters,
    they will eventually type the works
    of William Shakespeare."

Proof:
    http://user.tninet.se/~ecf599g/aardasnails/java/Monkey/webpages/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast