1.    #1  
    Not sure if this is an issue for others, but it's really a pain for me:

I often have my ringer set to maximum volume. When I'm at home and things are quiet, the phone rings and it's jarringly loud -- especially with the newer, louder speaker on the T600 (and especially if I'm asleep).

Other times (after having lowered my ringer after such a situation) when I'm out-and-about and the phone rings, I can't hear it due to ambient noise and the fact that the phone's in my pocket.

A fantastic feature would be to have an "auto ringer volume" setting, which senses ambient noise level through the built-in mic for a second or so before a ring or alert sounds, and then adjust the volume accordingly. The louder the ambient noise, the louder the ring. If it's a quiet environment, you get a soft ring. Perhaps the upper and lower volume boundaries could be set by the user?

Seems to me this could be done through software as there's already a mic in the thing, although I don't know what facility exists for measuring incoming mic signal strength.

Anyone up for the challenge?
    Last edited by lefish; 12/05/2003 at 04:19 PM.
    Wow! Now that's an amazing idea! Check if you can get a patent for it I have the exact same problem.

My only concern is that HS probably doesn't give the API. Otherwise, how do you explain that a voice recorder hasn't been developed yet (for any Treo)?
    might be able to be done, but seems like it would be very difficult to do. not sure if the microphone even picks up any usable sound when the phone is not in an active call. my guess is probably not, but maybe there's a way to turn it on

in that case, turning it on will probably require something to always be running, thus using battery life.

not to mention the program that would need to monitor noise level and adjust ringer level accordingly would be quite complex because it would have to no only read in the noise level but analyze it as well

my two cents
    A few thoughts:

Before the ROM update, the OS cannot access the mic.

The mic may not be as good as you think: russling in your pocket can simulate a loud environment even if it's quite, and a case may silence the outside, even if it's loud.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    A few thoughts:

Before the ROM update, the OS cannot access the mic.

The mic may not be as good as you think: russling in your pocket can simulate a loud environment even if it's quite, and a case may silence the outside, even if it's loud.
    Yeah...I thought about that. Although, in that case, you'd presumably get a loud ring, which is want I want when it's in my pocket. A super-cool feature would be the ability to detect pocket-rustling vs. other types of noise. We can dream.....

So who at HS/palmOne should we send ideas like this to?