1.    #1  
    Pacific Neo-Tek has just released OmniRemote version 2.1 which works with the Treo 600!. Yes, I've tried it, it works, but the bad news is, I only get about 4 feet of range on my T600. Also, the program reset my device the first time I ran it.

I guess we've all been waiting for this, I'm just disappointed with the range.
    In my experience, palmOS handhelds have horrible range with IR. Even though I would love to use a palmOS device for a remote, its not going to work for me.

What I use is a Philips Pronto. It has 4 IR imiters at the front of it and can handle long distances. (from my couch to my TV is about 20 feet, 73' Bigscreen)
    You have a 73' (foot) big screen.
    73 inch hehe
    i dled it but i cant seem to get the learning to work trying to get it to learn my comcast cable remote but i dont hear any beeping sounds on thelearning screen. I did the auto IR freqency it said 37something went to the learning and no beeps........Help?
    Hey, this thing works great, but it is too sad about the IR. Four feet may be a generous assessment. It's unfortunate, because all the buttons proram great, the auto-frequency worked fine. Oh well, at least I don't have to bend over to hit the TV buttons.
    You could try thishttp://www.novii.tv/products/noviirb/ ... granted, it's designed for Novii remote, but it probably just enhances the IR range, so it would work with Omni as well... and I read somewhere that Novii is working on a T600 version, too...
    novi remote e mailed me yesterday and said they are working on the treo 600 and should have an update in about a month.

Fred
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    In my experience, palmOS handhelds have horrible range with IR. Even though I would love to use a palmOS device for a remote, its not going to work for me...
    Not all...most Clies have CIR with great range...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    73 inch hehe

I have a 12 inch that I'm very happy with.

I think Little farzonalmaneih is trying to compensate for some "shortcomings". (Like all those other people here posting photos of their expensive cars and TVs.)
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Ok, I've downloaded it but it seems buggy as hell. It constantly freezes and wont respond to the remote when I attempt to "teach" it. Anybody else having trouble with it?
    Never understood the mentality of taking a $600 piece of hardware and being thrilled at turning it into a $7 tv remote...
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Nevermind. A soft reset seems to have done the trick. As mentioned before though the range really sucks.
    Nowhere near the quality and range of my iPaq's built in remote app.
    Originally posted by Magohn
    Never understood the mentality of taking a $600 piece of hardware and being thrilled at turning it into a $7 tv remote...
    I haven't been able to get a $7 learning remote anywhere. Also nothing for $7 would give me the potential for programming macros. Also theorettically the Treo could support 100s of TV/Cable box combinations. Imagine selecting the combo from a dropdown or something and changing the channel at your friends house or a bar that has forgotten to put the local game on.

Some of the remotes with this capability cost well over $300. Hence if the Treo 600 can do some of this stuff reasonable well, it's probably worth $75 of value to some people. Considering that's it's a 99% software solution and 1% stronger IR solution there's really no reason to overlook this and not make it possible. Sony has done it. The treo has more reason to with it's keyboard providing tactile feedback that LCD remotes don't have.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    I have a 12 inch that I'm very happy with.
    I think Little farzonalmaneih is trying to compensate for some "shortcomings". (Like all those other people here posting photos of their expensive cars and TVs.)
    I don't understand the motive behind personal attacks. It really is not appreciated. To insinuate that I was bragging about my TV is stupid. We are on a web forum discussing our $600 PHONES! Get some perspective, 99% of the people here are buying for luxury. In addition, explaining the fact that my TV is a 73 inch definitely explains why I would not use a remote that works from 4 feet. Get the picture? Did you think for a second that I was trying to help someone else who might be in my situation and point them toward a "Philips Pronto"?

Leave your personal attacks at the door.

Thank You
    Children, children!

Don't make me pull this forum over...
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Farzon,

You are in line and the screen size you mention is very relavent to this discussion. I have an LCD projector and the 600 IR distance as reported would not work for me. Anyone who has any knowledge of large screen set ups would have known this, other not so knowledgable should have simply just ask why screen size was mentioned.
    I have Omni remote since my Visor day and got really good distance, I am able to IR sync to my desktop from 7' away..I would think this would be at least as good as my old Visor's IR.
    I am getting a processor error and running 2.09...time to upgrade.

Also, questioning the Treo 600 as a universal remote? We do it with it because we can...