1.    #1  
    I'm contemplating whether or not to buy it for $19.95. Can someone post a review of this product? Right now, if I want to use AIM I have to go to the Sprint Vision site and go thru Messaging. But I think an app that connects you directly to AIM and gives you access to your Buddy List would be awesome....is this what I can expect if I buy the program?
    I have the free version if you want it. E-mail me.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    will using aim block you from receiving phone calls since the sprint version cannot use data while in phone mode???
    I started with the free one then went to Verichat and now Chatter.

ben

Originally posted by Dre13
    I'm contemplating whether or not to buy it for $19.95. Can someone post a review of this product? Right now, if I want to use AIM I have to go to the Sprint Vision site and go thru Messaging. But I think an app that connects you directly to AIM and gives you access to your Buddy List would be awesome....is this what I can expect if I buy the program?
    Originally posted by 155
    will using aim block you from receiving phone calls since the sprint version cannot use data while in phone mode???
    Yes if you are an unfortunate soul that has Sprint as a carrier() you will not be able to receive phone calls while using AIM.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Yes, but where I am, it is the better of the carriers. None of them are significantly better than the others. The location - Honolulu, Hi.

Ben

Originally posted by ShockSLL

Yes if you are an unfortunate soul that has Sprint as a carrier() you will not be able to receive phone calls while using AIM.
    If I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought Chatter in the first place. I started out with the free UK version. The buddy list doesn't work on that one. Then I bought official U.S. version. It works fine until whenever you have a reset and then it forces you into a soft reset loop. Sometimes the only way to get out of the loop is a hard reset (you lose all your data).

Also, with AOL IM one of the most annoying things is that I would be logged off and on (i guess cuz of reception) but it never told me that I was logged off. I would send an IM and then find that out.

There's no reason to take the chance and buy AOL AIM. Chatter has more features, is more stable, and is constantly being worked on by a member here.
    Originally posted by bclinger
    Yes, but where I am, it is the better of the carriers. None of them are significantly better than the others. The location - Honolulu, Hi.

Ben

That's cool, I was just messing around. I think that GSM is a superior technology it just so happens in the US, CDMA is more prevelant and the GSM carriers get a bad rap because of lack of coverage.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    Humm....I just use AIM and it works great for me. Why spend money on chatter or verichat? I can see if your wanting various IM clients, but for a single account? I hate having to signup, wait for an acccount, and pay for chater. I'am sure those are great programs, but I personally just use AIM.

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    ------If I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought Chatter in the first place. I started out with the free UK version. The buddy list doesn't work on that one. Then I bought official U.S. version. It works fine until whenever you have a reset and then it forces you into a soft reset loop. Sometimes the only way to get out of the loop is a hard reset (you lose all your data). ------

too bad i didnt read this earlier....i spent 4 hours trying to find out what was causing my reset loop......the UK version is evil on the treo 600.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    hello all:
    I've been setting up my aim like this:

Usually i'm on from home/office (cable/oc92 connection, always on, etc.)

When I leave work or home, I log off from that machine.

At that point in time, I have the messenger via sprint pcs vision messaging website on.

Aim is set up to work like this ->>>

when i am logged on "mobile aim" - it will send me messages to my phone.

If i am logged into work or home AND mobile - it will only send to work or home. When i log off - messages go to mobile.

Now, here's the thing i didn't know about:
    i bought verichat the other day. decent program, options for smileys and everything. while running Verichat and aim mobile, i get dual messages. One through aim client via sprintpcs website (telling me i have a new message delivered through sms, which i then select "get messages" from website and it downloads new messages) and 1 through verichat. Highly annoying so, unless i'm in a serious conversation or in need of Yahoo or ICQ, i stay on aim mobile.

As for being connected and NOT receiving phone calls - this is not always true. I've been experimenting lately. the way verichat works (as far as i know) is they log your account on through their server. It is NOT a direct connect, meaning, you are not always connected to them. this is the reason for you inputting your phone number when registering i believe. when your account receives a message, it sends a message to your handheld. if you exit, or shall i say "multi task" and hit the apps button, you will still receive messages while using other apps. when going back to verichat, you'll see "logging into aim proxy....logging into yahoo proxy...etc." Thus, when the green bars are not lit up, you can receive calls. usually what i do is log into verichat and go back to apps, make sure the grey bars are grey (give it 5-10 seconds) and it should be good to go. So you are not necessarily going to miss calls if you are logged in....

If i am mistaken in my above thinking, please correct me.

The only time i've ever seen green all the time is when i'm streaming music via pocket tunes or kinoma streaming or my other wireless video app.

Last but not least... here's my EASY and PAINLESS yet TEDIOUS way to not pay for downloading aim or anything.

PalmVNC!!! if you have a always on connection on your desktop, i just use my handheld -> desktop connection and log in from home or work. If i need to check my aol mail, that is, open up AOL 9.0 i just double click my desktop. while it IS a little tedious and time consuming, CDMA is very fast and once you get a hang of it, it is a breeze. The reason I do this is because while my work paid for and pays for my cellular usage (within a monthly limit, $60) - they will NOT pay for shareware apps or apps that cost money that the office does not supply. I am tired of paying $15-$30 on average for apps which work but then a better one comes out the next month and it's just money down the toilet. I use to be a Rim Blackberry 957 user and we had a service called Webmessenger which was FREE!!!! Then they started charging only the RIM users for using their service - other handhelds were free. guess how much? beyond your imagination. Anything over 10KB!!!!!!! and you get charged. I got tired of that REAL quick.

Anyway, here's to software developing that DOESNT cost an ARM and a LEG *just dished out $65 this weekend for programs*(ps c'mon you media and streaming media developers. It should not cost more than $20 for a GOOD non crashing program AND encoder. i refuse to pay $200)

-atjl
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ps i forgot to include... if you ARE going to use VERICHAT

MAKE SURE ALL YOUR PEOPLE SHOW UP ON YOUR LIST

only 3 people show up on my "online" list even though 10 contacts are online.

disappointing.