Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Chatter version 1.0.4 was just posted over at www.imchatter.com and it adds a really cool feature to Chatter. If you miss a IM or email pop-up alert, the flashing "*" alert manager comes up to let you know that a message was missed. The new feature that Marc added allows for the LED on the Treo 600 to flash rapidly so that you know you missed Chatter messages without turning on the Treo screen. This feature can be turned on and off in the Chatter Preferences screen.

Very Cool!!!
    Keith
    Last edited by peridoc; 12/04/2003 at 04:01 PM.
    yup... just tested it. It is nice... don't forget to enable the preference though
    Verichat is pretty cool too.
    Treo 650
    Cingular
    Yeah, but can it flash the LED's...?
    Maybe not.. but it has that Buddy list interface that chatter doesn't...
    Picky, picky... Can Verichat handle email? Can it ... Wait a minute, I'm not getting sucked into this...

Marc
    Originally posted by Mahootzki
    Maybe not.. but it has that Buddy list interface that chatter doesn't...
    C'mon Marc...don't let him off the hook. Give him the ol' one-two punch! With one stylus tap or two button clicks Chatter will tell you which of your contacts is online and what service(s) they're using.
    In verichat you can see what service your contacts are using by the icon next to the name and there are two separate boxed for online and offline

When you get a message it makes the whole treo vibrate and ring...haven't messed with any settings at all yet though.
    Treo 650
    Cingular
    Verichat's ICQ integration is hosed, however. All you get is UINs, not user names and when you have a large ICQ list, it blows. Although everything else about Verichat is pretty decent.

Chatter has a few more features and seems to have a faster development cycle, which is cool. I don't understand why contact list importing isn't being done as I think this is the feature that would push Chatter ahead of Verichat, however because of the way Chatter implements contacts, it might not be very easy (or even possible) to do that.

I paid for Verichat.. I don't really regret doing that. Right now Im tinkering with Chatter. I might switch.. I just don't feel like entering over 100 contacts by hand with the Treo's keyboard.
    Well, Verichat and Chatter show online/offline in an entirely different manner.

If a "buddy" of mine in Chatter has addresses on all four services (ICQ, AIM, MSN, and Y), ALL of their online status information appears on ONE LINE in Chatter, rather than spread out over four lines not necessarily together. Indeed, there's a LOT more information available with one or two keypresses in Chatter than in most any Treo application...

This doesn't in itself make Chatter BETTER than Verichat, just different. At the end of the day, everyone gets to make his choice.

Marc

p.s. I suspect the development cycle issue is an important one. Chatter is being actively developed for the Treo 600, and enhancements can be expected fairly frequently (some in "real time", as some testers will attest...)
    So what about contact list importing? You seem to really be avoiding that issue for some reason. Can it not be done in the current Chatter architecture?

Using 3rd party IM clients like Trillian, Ive seen first hand how many people want contact list importing.. like I said before, if it could be done, it would push Chatter way ahead of Verichat IMO.
    As with many others, I purchased both and like Chatter better. It did take a bit of time to adjust to it....

Ben

----------

Originally posted by SWiTCH
    Verichat's ICQ integration is hosed, however. All you get is UINs, not user names and when you have a large ICQ list, it blows. Although everything else about Verichat is pretty decent.

Chatter has a few more features and seems to have a faster development cycle, which is cool. I don't understand why contact list importing isn't being done as I think this is the feature that would push Chatter ahead of Verichat, however because of the way Chatter implements contacts, it might not be very easy (or even possible) to do that.

I paid for Verichat.. I don't really regret doing that. Right now Im tinkering with Chatter. I might switch.. I just don't feel like entering over 100 contacts by hand with the Treo's keyboard.
    Marc, you have a point there. A note to you about a problem and a response in a blink of an eye. Dang.

Ben

Originally posted by mblank
    Well, Verichat and Chatter show online/offline in an entirely different manner.

If a "buddy" of mine in Chatter has addresses on all four services (ICQ, AIM, MSN, and Y), ALL of their online status information appears on ONE LINE in Chatter, rather than spread out over four lines not necessarily together. Indeed, there's a LOT more information available with one or two keypresses in Chatter than in most any Treo application...

This doesn't in itself make Chatter BETTER than Verichat, just different. At the end of the day, everyone gets to make his choice.

Marc

p.s. I suspect the development cycle issue is an important one. Chatter is being actively developed for the Treo 600, and enhancements can be expected fairly frequently (some in "real time", as some testers will attest...)
    Originally posted by SWiTCH
    So what about contact list importing? You seem to really be avoiding that issue for some reason. Can it not be done in the current Chatter architecture?

Using 3rd party IM clients like Trillian, Ive seen first hand how many people want contact list importing.. like I said before, if it could be done, it would push Chatter way ahead of Verichat IMO.
    Is this really an issue? Take 10, 20, 40 minutes and type them in. Not that hard.

Josh
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Another thing to note about contact importing is that it is one the list as a possible future enhancement. It should be noted that Marc is busy 100% of the time adding functionality features to Chatter to make it work better and faster. Contact importing is a "ease of use" feature but not a feature that is absolutely necessary to make Chatter run better. I think it would be a nice addition and will welcome it in the future, but I agree with JoshFink...just take a few minutes to just type them in, it really does not take as long as you think. If you don't have enough time to enter them then you probably should not be IM'ing anyway.

Keith
    I also have paid for Verichat and am relatively happy with it. Chatter seems better suited for Treo use, but I am held up by i) the lack of contacts being imported for AIM and ii) limiting contacts to 64. It is really that much harder to allow for 100 contacts instead of 64?
    okay, let me ask which one does not require annual subscription?

I've heard at least one mentioned above requires annual subscription.

The one that doesn't & offers comparable features is one I'm getting. I'm tired of waiting for AIM to have a free one & I don't need mail and a bunch of other non-chat stuff if it means annual fees.

Any ideas on a basic low-cost (no annual charge) or free IM compatible chat client (sounds like aol is charging clones now-all of the ones on palm charge now) for my Treo 600?
    Chatter does not have an annual fee.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Chatter (www.imchatter.com) has no annual fee -- it is a one time fee only and there are no charges for upgrades. VeriChat requires a annual fee to use.

Keith
    the only problem is it doesn't support IM (aol).

Also, do I have to create a new name for all these chat clones? I'm only familiar with AIM and a hand-full of clones I used on my mac. So, now I gotta' convince my friends to switch chat networks now. What should I do?

Is AOL making clones charge annual fees to be on their network or something?

thx
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast