I agree with him 100% about the keyboard. Odd that he seemed to forget that he was also reviewing the Hitachi G1000, as he has absolutely nothing to say about its keyboard. My personal experience with holding an uncharged G1000 for all of about 10 seconds was that they keyboard has a very nice feel to it. Downsides are the large size, poor quality camera (though probably not much different than the Treo 600's), no keyboard backlit, and PPC 2002 (especially lame considering keyboard integration was built into PPC 2003).

Another device that should have been cross-reviewed is the Danger hiptop/Sidekick which I've been tempted by ever since its release. You can get the color model for under $50 after rebates right now (wow!). There's a camera dongle available for about $35 bucks with poor quality as well. Keyboard is phenomenal. Phone usage poor. Dealkillers for me are the reports of poor signal strength combined with the T-Mobile-only offering and continued lack of Outlook sync software.

In short, everything out there sucks but for different reasons. I'm still waiting/hoping for something better.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The keyboard on the Treo 600 is small as *** but the BlackBerry doesn't have nearly as many features - and the Hitachi (my second choice) has too-little usage time and - well - I think it's ridiculous that it uses PPC 2002 as opposed to 2003. That's just stupid...
    IMO, it all comes down to how you use the device; phone first or email first?

I set up a Blackberry for a client about 1 week ago and had the chance to play with the BB 7230 for 3 days. It's definitely an email first device, which is exactly what my client needed! So far, he's very happy and constantly wow at the "instant" email delivery. He's travelling the world with the device.

But personally, i am still waiting to get the T600 instead of the BB, for what i really need is phone first. Smaller sized and managable like a normal cell phone, i can sacrified the shortcoming of the rest.

For the Hitachi, it's like my ex- O2 XDA device....very cool and powerful but too bulky and a typical of a first generation combo device. Not pratical to say the least.

My only reservation for the Treo is the "bugs" the first batch of T600 have. I am only hoping that time will buy me a version that has revision firmware X. Needless to say, i am patiently waiting for the T600 to drop in prices which should indicate that the market for it has cooled off a bit...
    Originally posted by gelco
    IMO, it all comes down to how you use the device; phone first or email first?

I set up a Blackberry for a client about 1 week ago and had the chance to play with the BB 7230 for 3 days. It's definitely an email first device, which is exactly what my client needed! So far, he's very happy and constantly wow at the "instant" email delivery. He's travelling the world with the device.

But personally, i am still waiting to get the T600 instead of the BB, for what i really need is phone first. Smaller sized and managable like a normal cell phone, i can sacrified the shortcoming of the rest.

For the Hitachi, it's like my ex- O2 XDA device....very cool and powerful but too bulky and a typical of a first generation combo device. Not pratical to say the least.

My only reservation for the Treo is the "bugs" the first batch of T600 have. I am only hoping that time will buy me a version that has revision firmware X. Needless to say, i am patiently waiting for the T600 to drop in prices which should indicate that the market for it has cooled off a bit...
    Advisory - I own a Treo 600, A SonyEricsson P900 and a Blackberry (with phone combo).

The thing that you just CAN'T ignore about this review is that it is written by the TYPICAL user. And his punchline is clear and true - if you already own a Treo 300 (270), there is absolutely NO REASON to migrate to the 600, for the typical user - wait for the Treo 900.

He is 1,000% right about the Treo's keyboard. While devotees will probably smack my post, it is TRUE beyond doubt that the Treo 600 keyboard is less user friendly than the prior Treos as well as both of the reviewed alternatives.

And one hand navigation only serves to aggravate the problems. Because the closer the desired key gets to your thumb, the less stable the Treo 600 becomes. Indeed, to me, it resembles a wet bar of soap in a shower. I've already dropped my Treo 600 a half dozen times, each time during reaching for keys like the M.

Most OBJECTIVE users acknowledge that the preferred way for Treo 600 data entry is two handed. That keeps the unit stable, and enhances your ability to hit the right keys.

My experience with the P900 shows that two handed data entry on the P900, using the virtual keyboard together with EziTap (a predictive text app) beats the daylights out of entering data via two handed Treo 600 keyboard entry. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

As to one handed entry, the T9 input with the P900 (especially after the phone learns your habits over time) is a draw to a slight edge over the Treo 600. The slower entry for individual keystrokes on the P900 is offset by the far higher error rates on the Treo 600.

The absence of bluetooth in the Treo 600 is particularly disturbing. The screen is awful compared to most other smartphones (although the blackberry screen is far worse).

The bottom line - TYPICAL users are far better off staying with their first generation Treos and ALL users are better off with the P900.

I keep both Treo 600 and my P900 because I prefer to have both GSM and CDMA access. The Blackberry is a corporate requirement.

But I rank the Treo 600 as the least useable of the three devices on a practical basis, although the IDEA of the Treo 600 is clearly at the top of the list. Too bad the idea doesn't match up with the actual performance.
    the P900 is more for show. Yes, it has all kinds of features...but it is lacking in business applications. With the Treo, it is more about a working machine. If all you want if a phone that you can play games and watch movies on, go for the P900; if you are serious PDA user, you gotta get the Treo 600
    Wasn't the theme of the Treo 600 launch "Mission: Possible"? The article says Mission: Impossible.
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    the P900 is more for show. Yes, it has all kinds of features...but it is lacking in business applications. With the Treo, it is more about a working machine. If all you want if a phone that you can play games and watch movies on, go for the P900; if you are serious PDA user, you gotta get the Treo 600
    You are incredilbly WRONG when you say that the P900 is just for show. Do you have one? Have you used one for an extended period of time?

The P900 is every bit the workhorse that the Palm is vis a vis tradition PIM capability - it syncs seamlessly with Outlook and provides every last drop of utility that the Palm does.

It is better for web crawling because Opera is far far superior to Blazer and the screen is larger and sharper.

As to text entry, I assure you that I am faster in two handed input on the P900 using the virtual keyboard and EziTap as I am - or anyone else is for that matter - using the Treo 600 keyboard. One handed is a draw. Thus, email is a draw.

The ONLY way that you can say the Treo edges out the P900 in utility is that Palm OS has more built in apps. Even having said that, it's also true that most widely published PalmOS apps have parallel Symbian apps. What's more, the TYPICAL user is not loading up on custom apps.

The P900 blows the Treo600 away. Take it from someone who has used both for well over a month.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

... As to text entry, I assure you that I am faster in two handed input on the P900 using the virtual keyboard and EziTap as I am - or anyone else is for that matter - using the Treo 600 keyboard...
    Curious to see pix of the vkeyboard on the P900. Do you have a good/handy web link or screenshots?
    For Symbian. what about Outlook catagories?, what about multiday events?...oh yeah, those don't sync well do they?Neither do yearly events...neither do task priorities because UIQ has 10 fields with no conduit solutions, such as there are in Palm 3rd party apps Symbian (BTW I have used both UIQ and Series 60 interfaces). Sorry, you put it out there. So you, in fact, are wrong. But I guess you just got yours huh

Opera is a great browser, no doubt. The PX00 series are great for playing on the web. I will not contest here.

MS office can only be edited in RTF format with Symbian. Palm can use native files extensions and types. PowerPOint is not availble for Symbian UIQ yet. Outlook sync blows on Symbian because I REALLY use OUtlook's capabilities. There are lots of professional programs that have been developed for Palm, whereas most of the apps for Symbian are games

The big difference b/w Symbian and Palm are that there are a vast amount of 3rd party apps that make Palm highly configurable and the sync conduits are highly customizable, not the built in apps. This is absent on Symbian

BTW, Jot, Grafitti Anywhere and Newpen all provide stylus text entry on the Treo 600. I only occassionally use the thumbboard

Symbian is a great OS with true multi-tasking capabilities, but its actual development is still in its youth.

Symbian may be the handheld OS of the future, but I would rather use the best machine for me, now. And that is a Palm for the aforementioned reasons.

So you can use your UIQ device for sms and web-browsing, maybe making some rinky dink documents or spreadsheets...great, I need a handheld that will do more, even it doesn't have all the pretty bells and whistles.
    Originally posted by elysian9

Curious to see pix of the vkeyboard on the P900. Do you have a good/handy web link or screenshots?
    It looks exactly like the virtual keyboard on the pocketpc phone
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    For Symbian. what about Outlook catagories?, what about multiday events?...oh yeah, those don't sync well do they?Neither do yearly events...neither do task priorities because UIQ has 10 fields with no conduit solutions, such as there are in Palm 3rd party apps Symbian (BTW I have used both UIQ and Series 60 interfaces). Sorry, you put it out there. So you, in fact, are wrong. But I guess you just got yours huh

Opera is a great browser, no doubt. The PX00 series are great for playing on the web. I will not contest here.

MS office can only be edited in RTF format with Symbian. Palm can use native files extensions and types. PowerPOint is not availble for Symbian UIQ yet. Outlook sync blows on Symbian because I REALLY use OUtlook's capabilities. There are lots of professional programs that have been developed for Palm, whereas most of the apps for Symbian are games

The big difference b/w Symbian and Palm are that there are a vast amount of 3rd party apps that make Palm highly configurable and the sync conduits are highly customizable, not the built in apps. This is absent on Symbian

BTW, Jot, Grafitti Anywhere and Newpen all provide stylus text entry on the Treo 600. I only occassionally use the thumbboard

Symbian is a great OS with true multi-tasking capabilities, but its actual development is still in its youth.

Symbian may be the handheld OS of the future, but I would rather use the best machine for me, now. And that is a Palm for the aforementioned reasons.

So you can use your UIQ device for sms and web-browsing, maybe making some rinky dink documents or spreadsheets...great, I need a handheld that will do more, even it doesn't have all the pretty bells and whistles.
    Still in its use? Which, I suppose, it is the leader in phone baseed operating systems worldwide.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by zipmitz

The ONLY way that you can say the Treo edges out the P900 in utility is that Palm OS has more built in apps. Even having said that, it's also true that most widely published PalmOS apps have parallel Symbian apps. What's more, the TYPICAL user is not loading up on custom apps.

In addition the Treo 600 can take a 512MB , maybe 2GB SD Card , has SDIO which is WAAAY better than the expensive 128MB limited memory stick.
    Treo 600 is also quad band.
    If you need to carry a database or file that's bigger than 128MB you are a bit stuck if you use a P900.

This is the deal-killer for the P900 for me, plus I suck at using T9, and I cope well with the T600 keyboard.
    People are amazed at how fast I can type on it!

If you are a Palm user and you have purchased a few hundred dollars worth of great Palm software, it usually does not make sense to move to Symbian unless you can afford the cost of transition.

Would like to try out the P900 though when it gets cheaper here in the UK.

Though symbian is the leader in OS for phones, it doesn't have a very big presence in the dedicated PDA market.

If you want a phone with good web-browsing and some good PDA features, then the P900 is great.

If you want a phone with truly world-class PDA features then it's no contest - the Treo 600 and Palm OS is in general, better.

Obviously this will situation change with time.
    Last edited by Cyril; 12/07/2003 at 03:49 PM.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Cyril
    Originally posted by zipmitz

In addition the Treo 600 can take a 512MB , maybe 2GB SD Card , has SDIO which is WAAAY better than the expensive 128MB limited memory stick.
    Treo 600 is also quad band.
    If you need to carry a database or file that's bigger than 128MB you are a bit stuck if you use a P900.

This is the deal-killer for the P900 for me, plus I suck at using T9, and I cope well with the T600 keyboard.
    People are amazed at how fast I can type on it!

If you are a Palm user and you have purchased a few hundred dollars worth of great Palm software, it usually does not make sense to move to Symbian unless you can afford the cost of transition.

Would like to try out the P900 though when it gets cheaper here in the UK.

Though symbian is the leader in OS for phones, it doesn't have a very big presence in the dedicated PDA market.

If you want a phone with good web-browsing and some good PDA features, then the P900 is great.

If you want a phone with truly world-class PDA features then it's no contest - the Treo 600 and Palm OS is in general, better.

Obviously this will situation change with time.
    Again, we are talking about TYPICAL users. 95% of the world. Those people aren't walking around with gargantuan data bases. They don't need two bands let alone three or even four.

I saw an article in one of the mags not long ago that said more than 85% of PDA users don't use add on software and that more than 80% of those who do use games.

No one is going to make money directing smartphones at the 3% of the world who use them to run mission critical large applications.

Fairness dictates that when evaluating the devices, context be considered - the context of the TYPICAL user.