Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Have searched the forum guys and can't find much on this. Is it possible to use the USB cable/Cradle suppled to use the broadband access on my network when I am connected? Can't figure out how to use this access rather than GPRS or Dial up.

I have the Orange GSM version BTW.

Jamesm
    In a word, No. To the best of my knowledge. If it were/is possible the hotsync connection would not be the place to look due to the nature of the connection. The most likely place would be through the SDIO port. It seems pefectly feasible to get a network card of some type that would plug in there. Perhaps an 802.11b wireless NIC.

I welcome anyone to correct me if I'm wrong about the hotsync port or let us know if anyone makes an SDIO NIC.
    Well here you go.

http://www.buysdcards.com/secure_dig...ccessories.asp

I'm sure it won't work on the Treo 600 yet, but maybe in time.

Kind of expensive.
    isn't there a bluetooth sdio card coming out soon?

maybe you connect to your wifi network at home from your treo via bluetooth on your laptop and vice-versa via gprs when on the road..

techo-symbiosis in action
  5.    #5  
    Seems crazy they overlooked this option. My plan was to get a 802.11 sd card, waiting for the Sandisk one to be launched with palm drivers. As well as 802.11 it also is a 256Mb Ram card, so is the only real option for the treo.
    I can't test this right at this moment, but this isn't that hard on Linux as I recall and I'm pretty sure it's possible on other OS too.

You can set up the Treo network connection to be 'cable/cradle to PC' and then run PPP over the usb or serial cable. You can do this over IR too if you want. Not too reliable tho.

b.g.
    Originally posted by jamesm
    Have searched the forum guys and can't find much on this. Is it possible to use the USB cable/Cradle suppled to use the broadband access on my network when I am connected? Can't figure out how to use this access rather than GPRS or Dial up.

Jamesm
    Perhaps you are looking for a program like this (not cheap though):

http://www.corsoft.com/plug2net.asp

Jamesm
    The answer to this is hyothetically YES!! You have to use an app like Softick PPP which allows you to make a PPP connection via your usb cradle/cable. However, I have not personally tried this on the Treo600 yet, so YMMV. I suggest you try it out and report back if you have any success! I would be very interested in this as well....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #9  
    Tried it but treo 600 doesn't seem to have a ppp option for any of the network connections.
    It works! Absolute star... you need to manually connect to the PC vie Network Prefs (bring up preferences -> Network) and a new profile (e.g. "Home PC") (it's in the help file) and make sure you edit the option in desktop app to use the P{almOS5 workaround.... I tried several website (Treo may crash while loading some pages), but otherwise got a great result!

Cheers
    RH
    Well color me wrong.

If SanDisk would come out with Palm drivers for their 802.11b SD card that would be great. I didn't realize it's also a 256MB storage card. The link I gave listed it for $80 after rebate. If they had Palm drivers I'd buy it in a second!!!

I read a couple of news articals that said SanDisk had pushed back the palm driver release date 4 times now. The latest date is supposed to be Q1 2004, but the writers seemed doubtful they would ever be released.
  12.    #12  
    Can you describe exactly how you configured the treo network prefs and how you connected for the first time.
  13.    #13  
    OK, just got it working myself, seems to work fine. Thanks for the links guys. Just what I was after. Although it's intresting that the hardware stuggles to cope with broadband and it can't display much quicker than GPRS anyway.
    OK, just got it working myself, seems to work fine. Thanks for the links guys. Just what I was after. Although it's intresting that the hardware stuggles to cope with broadband and it can't display much quicker than GPRS anyway.
    Glad to hear that it works! But could you guys explain all the steps/settings to get this to work? Also just out of curiosity, why did you want to do this anyway since the teo already has integrated wireless? Was it b/c of expensive per Kb rates or something?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Can you describe exactly how you configured the treo network prefs and how you connected for the first time.
    James,

First, install SoftickPPP, run it, and right click on the icon in the task bar, click on settings and then the NAT tab....

make sure you check "Correct UDP errors to workaround Palm OS5...". Done.

Once this is done (it would be wise to install the desktop app to use the USB port in exclusive mode, i.e. shutting down the hotsync app when Softick starts PPP forwarding) right click the icon again and click "Activate PPP" - hotsync will quit and the service is on.... connect your treo via the cable...

Now on your treo, open up the preferences app (you know, where you do all the ringtone/display/everything set up), select 'Network' then open the overhead menu (menu button) and select
    Service -> new

A new service should appear, give it a name ("home connection", whatever), you don't need the username or password, under "connection" select 'Cradle/Cable'.

Now select 'details' and set 'idele timeout' to 'never' (optional) then ensure under 'advanced' both 'IP Address (automatic)' is checked and 'Querry DNS' are checked.

go back to the original preferences tab (Service: Home Connection) and tap 'connect' at the bottom.

Now you can hit the applications button to return to the app menu and run your browser/e-mail client/IM and they should connect to the net no prob... (I ran a sniffer to make sure the phone wasn't cheating using GPRS, all the web page requests went through the laptop.... sooooo, it worked perfectly) good luck! Hope it helps!

R_H

P.S. I did find that Blazer (Orange Browser) did crash every now and then and sometimes wouldn't connect at all after loading part of a page, I think this has more to do with the NAT IP setup (even though it shouldn't matter) than it does the phone.... anyone with some experience with software ruters might be able to explain this in more detail (since I'm connecting my phone through a laptop behind a software router sharing a broadband connection through a Wi-Fi AP through a PC) so my set up isn't necessarily standard.... but the above configuration should work no problem for a machine with a direct connection...

Cheers,
    Rand Hajile

P.P.S Next time take a look at the help file, all the details above were in there.....
  16.    #16  
    GPRS data is very expensive, so it is cheaper to update email when I can locally. Also useful for direct downloads, ringtones and just wanted to see what broadband access was like on the Treo.

1) Download and Install software
    2) Go to prefs> Network> Service > Untitiled.
    3) Tap modify and ignore warnings.
    4) Enter any username.
    5) Make sure connection is cable/cradle
    6) No password required.
    7) Goto details advanced and check auto ip address and query DNS
    8) In ppp software press check to discover IP settings.
    9) Click connect in network setting on palm.
    10) Shoul be connected to the net via your PC.
  17.    #17  
    Posted my solution at the same time, thanks for taking the trouble.

BTW I did look at the help file but just didn't get the final step of connecting sorted. Rebooted PC and it worked.
    James,

Cool, sorry bout that..... I just tend to assume ppl don't rtm... It looks like softickPPP also allows access via bluetooth, that'll come in handy with a bluetooth SDIO card... complete wireless broadband (I know bluetooth isn't as fast as 802.11b or g) but it's a neat workaround to the SanDisk dilemma.... does anyone know what the throughput is for the hotsync cable as it deffinetely isn't 500kbps?

Cheers,
    R_H
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I followed all the instructions, and it seems to be working everywhere except Blazer. Anyone else have this problem (Sprint CDMA) ?
    I'm lookin for someone ho is able to connect treo 600 with notebook via cable (its usb cable) in order to use it like external modem.
    I knwo that it is posible with pdanet but i have installed it but
    --> error 775 impossible to open modem port is the only/better result i optained.
    Someone can help me withn configuratin of network or something else ????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast