Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have a optimum online email account i'm using Handsprings app and i'm having a problem sending email's can anyone help me thanks in advance
    I haven't been able to send email either. I know I've got the incoming POP3 server and outgoing smtp server correct, because I've got them set up on my wireless laptop. But when I try to send on my treo, using the HS email, I get the following message: "We were unable to send mail using mail.msy.bellsouth.net. Please go to the server tab of account settings to correct this. If the problem continues, contact your mail provider for support."
    Do I need to do something differently here, or is something messed up??
    I use Mindspring...I had to search on their website, but to send email from an external source, there is a special SMTP server that requires authentication...I would assume that other ISPs have similar setups...I would go to the support page for your ISP and search on SMTP...that is how I found the Mindspring/Earthlink info.
  4.    #4  
    I use optimum online and i use the info from the there web site but i'm only able to recieve emails
    Well I went to my ISP's website and got the POP3 and SMTP servers, put them in, and.........still nothing. Can receive; cannot send. Anyone?????????
    The HS mail beta is really all I need (except, of course, I can't send!), and I don't want to have to put out $40 for snappermail just to be able to send emails.
    Helllllllllppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!
    I use Handspring's mail program with no problems. Another free email program which is very basic is Eudora mail. Works fine although I don't think it handles attachements.
    *Deleted*
    Last edited by satyric; 12/05/2003 at 10:54 AM.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    It sounds like Optimum Online, as with most ISPs, will not let you access their SMTP server unless you are accessing the Internet through them. This is to prevent their servers from being used to relay spam. Check with their support department and see if they have any SMTP servers configured to either let you do POP-before-send or authenticate yourself using your email username/password.
    Yep, Optimum Online won't work. I tried it with both the Handspring Mail application as well as Snapper. I gave up and ended up setting myself up with a FastMail SMTP server and it works fine now.
    I have the same problem sending email using my POP 3 account from RoadRunner with Time Warner. HS Mail and SnapperMail do not work. I can receive, but not reply.

I got all the correct settings in there and really don't want to pay for a Fastmail SMTP service if I don't have to.

What I find interesting is that I had no problem accessing my mail on my Kyocera 7135 as well as on my T-Mobile Sidekick.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    I don't know if this is useful - I am a beginner here - but I download my email from my pop3 account and send directly through the AT&T SMTP account that came with the phone.

That was the only way I could send email.
    It sucks but it may just be best to go to mail.optonline.net to send mail right now...
    Do a quick search. This has been previously discussed since almost everyone had the same problem. You can start on this thread. There are many other threads.

It should help.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by Treashz
    I don't know if this is useful - I am a beginner here - but I download my email from my pop3 account and send directly through the AT&T SMTP account that came with the phone.

That was the only way I could send email.

Where is the SMTP account for AT&T that came with your phone? I have AT&T too and I am trying to figure out how I set that up. What settings and info do I use? Thanks in advance.
    You can recieve (pop) email from any isp using any computer type device, the problem is always sending (smtp) email. The problem is because your phone is on AT&T, or T-Mobile, or Cingular's network, and you are attempting to send an email through your ISP's email server on "their" network, and you can't do that, that is called relaying, and that is how spam is sent so, most ISP's will not allow that. The only way to send email directly from your phone is to have the smtp information from the phone providers network (AT&T, T-Mobile, Cinglar...)because you are on their network, it will allow the email to be sent.
    The problem I'm having is that the Cingular CSR/tech says that Cingular has no e-mail portal, and thus no SMTP data to give me to allow me to send e-mail from my PacBell account (the PacBell/SBC SMTP server blocks the relay mail, but I can authenticate and get POP mail fine).
    many isps do not allow you to send using their smtp servers from outside their network.

you must use your mobile company's smtp server. i use smtp.sprintpcs.com.

the thing is that your POP3 ID is different from your vision username. you must call sprint (or whatever company), get past the know-nothing csr, find a good tech, and tell them you need your POP3 ID ACTIVATED.

otherwise, with sprint, if you never activate your pop3 account, you won't be able to use their smtp server to send.

bottom line, call in and find someone who knows what you need.
    Originally posted by jposin
    The problem I'm having is that the Cingular CSR/tech says that Cingular has no e-mail portal, and thus no SMTP data to give me to allow me to send e-mail from my PacBell account (the PacBell/SBC SMTP server blocks the relay mail, but I can authenticate and get POP mail fine).
    I have pacbell/SBC/yahoo POP mail. No special settings on HS mail and I can send just fine with smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com server. Food for thought.

your username should be username@pacbell.net (I hope you knew that)
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    ChemEngr:

I have tried every permutation of SMTP name, username and password, and I am unable to send mail through Cingular to PacBell. The settings work fine on my Mac using Entourage. I have tried my mail.pacbell.net SMTP settings as well as the one you suggested. I consistently get a 'failure to authenticate'. FWIW, I never did the upgrade to the full SBC Yahoo stuff. My PacBell e-mail dates from my old PacBell DSL from 6 years ago (now SBC). I haven't wanted to sign up for all of the extra Yahoo stuff. Is there some obscure registration I need to do with SBC Yahoo to make this work??
    Originally posted by jposin
    ChemEngr:

I have tried every permutation of SMTP name, username and password, and I am unable to send mail through Cingular to PacBell. The settings work fine on my Mac using Entourage. I have tried my mail.pacbell.net SMTP settings as well as the one you suggested. I consistently get a 'failure to authenticate'. FWIW, I never did the upgrade to the full SBC Yahoo stuff. My PacBell e-mail dates from my old PacBell DSL from 6 years ago (now SBC). I haven't wanted to sign up for all of the extra Yahoo stuff. Is there some obscure registration I need to do with SBC Yahoo to make this work??
    Go ahead and upgrade to SBC/Yahoo DSL (I'm an old Pacbell DSL user too) - you'll be happy you did. Comes with a lot of stuff. If you're like me, then you wouldn't install any software they offer, but they will upgrade your account (email, online storage, homepage, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I don't know if this is the problem with Cingular. I have Sprint and my brother has Tmobile. We both can send fine with smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com using HS Mail on our 600s. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast