Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have had great success with the new 2.0.5 mapopolis beta. I have all my maps on my 128mb SD card. I find it seems to work better if you format the card and only put the maps on it. However, this is all well and good, but am i alone in thinking mapopolis is ugly?? I have also tried digimap and its display is awesome (www.hekosoft.de). I am alon in thinking the 3d view in mapopolis is impossible to read?? Does anyone else think the 'directions' box is too large and the map viewing area too small?? I often cant see a visual of a junction until i am rigt upon it!!! Feedback would be appreciated, and let me know other suggestions of software that will work on the treo 600.
    I agree. I've also had success with the beta after reformatting a card and dedicating it exclusively to maps.
    urable
    The 3d view seems to only work at one zoom level, and the amount of space the directions take up make it useless.

I'd like to see an option where the directions pop up for maybe a few seconds (configurable throughs settings) and then disappear, leaving more room on the screen for maps. The voice prompts are sufficient in most cases, and maybe a hot button like the space bar can toggle them back on if missed.

It probably looks better on higher-res devices, but I'm not giving up on my T600 yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaber
    I'd like to see an option where the directions pop up for maybe a few seconds (configurable throughs settings) and then disappear, leaving more room on the screen for maps. The voice prompts are sufficient in most cases, and maybe a hot button like the space bar can toggle them back on if missed.
    Shaber,
    I think the center button of the 5-way nav does exactly that.
    Thanks! That makes the 3D view a little easier to use. I'll try it on the road as soon as I can.
    Ill try that with the centre button, and see how i get on. Any of you guys used digi-map on your treo??? There is a fantastic feature on there where it zooms into the juction about 500m before you reach to show you exactly which exit to take. It is fantastic, and the voices are much better too!!! I would love mapoplis to improve the voices of their software (or does anyone have any better voice alternatives??), and maybe the 'zoom to junction' feature. And maybe make better use of the space on the treo screen. Can anyone fill me in on any other GPS navigation software they have used on their treo whether better or worse??
    Looks like the center button disables the box with the turn instructions AND the voice. Would be better if it would keep the voice active.

I'm a bit spoiled with my Garmin StreetPilot. It also has a feature where it automatically adjusts the zoom based on the distance to the next turn, so the map almost always has an optimal amount of detail. I plan to keep the Garmin unit in my car, and use Mapopolis and the Treo when using rental cars.
    shaber,
    Have you tried any other software on your treo for navigation? Let me know if youve had any sucess with any of them
    Mapopolis is all I've tried. It would be great it Garmin would release their iQue software for other devices. I see they've just released a CFcard that does this for PPC devices. Perhaps others following this thread can describe their experiences with other software. I haven't seen much yet that covers North America.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaber
    Mapopolis is all I've tried. It would be great it Garmin would release their iQue software for other devices. I see they've just released a CFcard that does this for PPC devices. Perhaps others following this thread can describe their experiences with other software. I haven't seen much yet that covers North America.
    I've discussed the garmen iQue with a friend who has it. He loves it, and I've been hoping for the treo compatible software-only version as well. However, it seems that the newest version of Mapopolis has a significant advantage over the Garmin. With the new Mapopolis, you can easily move maps on and off the SD card in a few seconds and go. With the garmin, it can take many hours to build an index for each particular combination of maps you take. Of course there are advantages to this garmin approach: Searching for addresses is faster and more streamlined, using their index.

I'd really like to hear a comparison from a knowledgable user who's tried the newsest Mapopolis and the Garmin iQue.

Pete
    Is there another secret source for the Digimap software? I go to their website and try to download it, but have been getting a not available at this time message for almost a week. Any suggestions? (I'm looking for the US version...) Thanks.
    does anyone know where to get digimap. a google search lead me to a german web site.
    Bump on the Digimap...you can view the site in English by clicking on the UK flag on the left frame, and the demo link works now, but the US isn't an option for the customized demo, nor are the US maps available for outright purchase anymore. Anyone have any other Digimap sources? Thanks.
    My current GPS, a Garmin Streetpilot III, is good at everything except data entry. This is a slow and painful process, scrolling through the alphabet one letter at a time with the cursor. Do the programs that run on Treo make full use of the QWERTY keyboard for entering addresses?
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    My current GPS, a Garmin Streetpilot III, is good at everything except data entry. This is a slow and painful process, scrolling through the alphabet one letter at a time with the cursor. Do the programs that run on Treo make full use of the QWERTY keyboard for entering addresses?
    Mapopolis does, plus has the added advantage of integrating your "Contact" list, so you can look up an address there without entering it.

I'm in the same boat through, and also have a Garmin SPIII. After comparing it to a GPS solution for the Treo, I'm definitely sticking with the Garmin in my car as my primary GPS device. Much better display, quicker routing, and easier to manage maps, esp. since their 256MB data cards can be found relatively cheap now. I'll use the Treo and Mapopolis when travelling without my own vehicle (rental cars).

If I didn't already have it, I'd go with one of their newer devices, which have touch screens for data entry. I try to save frequent places I route to as Waypoints to save some of the nuisance, but it can't always be done.

I don't know why they want with their current data interface for the SPIII though, especially after using what Magellan has in their Hertz Never-Lost devices.
    I got Itrek with mapoplis and didn't think it was that great. I ordered delorme since i am happy with it on my laptop. I did have to order a 3rd party vender for the cable for their earthmate gps unit. They also said I could download my draw files to the treo too. I will see next week how well it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by kouma
    I got Itrek with Mapopolis and didn't think it was that great. I ordered delorme since i am happy with it on my laptop. I did have to order a 3rd party vendor for the cable for their earthmate GPS unit. They also said I could download my draw files to the treo too. I will see next week how well it works.

I'd love to hear a detailed description of why you prefer Delorme, and the areas where you feel Mapopolis beats Delorme.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Pete
    >>>>>Bump on the Digimap...you can view the site in English by clicking on the UK flag on the left frame, and the demo link works now, but the US isn't an option for the customized demo, nor are the US maps available for outright purchase anymore. Anyone have any other Digimap sources? Thanks.<<<<<

My advice is JUST don't go there! The software's garbage. My full version stopped working after a year. Can't access the support site with the serial number they gave me. I emailed them (politely) and I got lunatic reply, complete with faked email supposedly from me calling them Nazi's!!! Seriously, these people have mental problems! DON'T buy digimap!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12