Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How do I set up Hotmail on the Mail software on the Treo? Thanks
    Originally posted by lung7707
    How do I set up Hotmail on the Mail software on the Treo? Thanks
    I have mine setup through a bookmark. Use the following ... http:\\mobile.msn.com

Sign in w/user name and password. Hope that does the trick.

Also, please do a search first, as this has been covered in many threads ... Thanks
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I use a free program called hotmail popper (http://www.boolean.ca). It allows you to retrieve your hotmail directly into the Treo email client.

I installed hotmail popper on my home machine which has a broadband connection. see their website on how to setup.

On the Treo, I put in my home computer's IP address as both the POP3 and SMTP servers during email configuration. Also make sure that the username is your full email address (yourname@hotmail.com)

When you send\receive you connect to hotmail popper and it sends and receives directly from your hotmail account.

It's great because you can use the Treo email client and you send and receive from your hotmail account.

Works great.
    Originally posted by webslappy
    I use a free program called hotmail popper (http://www.boolean.ca). It allows you to retrieve your hotmail directly into the Treo email client.

I installed hotmail popper on my home machine which has a broadband connection. see their website on how to setup.

On the Treo, I put in my home computer's IP address as both the POP3 and SMTP servers during email configuration. Also make sure that the username is your full email address (yourname@hotmail.com)

When you send\receive you connect to hotmail popper and it sends and receives directly from your hotmail account.

It's great because you can use the Treo email client and you send and receive from your hotmail account.

Works great.
    I think you just saved me $50 from buying Corsoft's Aileron e-mail program. Do I have to do anything to my computer at home? I'm assuming it always has to be on...
    Treo 650
    Cingular
    Originally posted by damado26

I think you just saved me $50 from buying Corsoft's Aileron e-mail program. Do I have to do anything to my computer at home? I'm assuming it always has to be on...
    After installing on your home machine you only have to make a simple config. It resides in the system tray, so right click and choose Options. In options, there is an address box that has a default IP address (127. something, something). Change that to be the IP address of your home computer.

That is all I had to do.

yes, you're correct that your computer must be on all the time.
    I get an incoming server not found when I connect on Eudora on my PDA.... I have the same IP as my DSL on Send and Recieve. The Outlook on the PC downloads fine with this info, but the PDA does not...
    any other settings i need to know about??
    Help Please...
    I have detailed files.
    Originally posted by Treominator
    I get an incoming server not found when I connect on Eudora on my PDA.... I have the same IP as my DSL on Send and Recieve. The Outlook on the PC downloads fine with this info, but the PDA does not...
    any other settings i need to know about??
    Help Please...
    are you connected to a router? I believe if you're connected to a router then I believe you need to supply your ISP IP address and not your internal network IP address.

also, can you get it to work with the HS delivered email program? i don't use eudora so i don't know about it's config.
    I have tried the Mail app in HS itself too...it just hangs and does not go through. When I was setting it up, it said it did not support the likes of Hotmail so that set a red flag to begin with.
    I was basically putting the IP address I see in my Netowrk connection on my DSL icon as the IP in all the places.
    Is this not correct?
    How critical is the SMTP port etc info, should I leave that defaultor change that ...
    thanks in advance...
    I have detailed files.
    I've tried setting both the hopper and my treo 600's mail program to:
    127.0.0.1 "Could not connect.."

the computers IP - Just hangs

the routers IP - Just hangs

the ISP's static IP (that they assigned me) - Just hangs

the ISP gateway - "Could not connect.."

None work =(

Anything special in the router settings I would have to change?
    Treo 650
    Cingular
    If I understand it correctly, you have a computer sitting behind a router which is attached to your broadband connection, right?

Most likely what you will need to do is:
    1) configure your router to forward port 110 and port 25 traffic to your computer.
    2) tell the Hotmail popper on your computer to bind to your computer's private network address.
    3) configure your Treo to use your static IP when accessing mail.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by cathartic
    If I understand it correctly, you have a computer sitting behind a router which is attached to your broadband connection, right?

Most likely what you will need to do is:
    1) configure your router to forward port 110 and port 25 traffic to your computer.
    2) tell the Hotmail popper on your computer to bind to your computer's private network address.
    3) configure your Treo to use your static IP when accessing mail.

Good luck!
    Hmm, no idea how to work with my router. I'm on the port fowarding page, when I choose custom service, it needs:

Name
    Starting port
    Ending Port
    Server IP Address

Is it 110 for both starting and ending?

And then another srevice with 25 in both?

and is server IP address the Router (192.168.0.1) or the Computer (192.168.0.2), or the static one assigned by my ISP?

In hotmail hopper I will put in the one assigned by my ISP.

So far I have

pop

smtp

I have 192.168.0.2 in hotmail hopper

and My ISP static IP in my treo's mail program

Which parts are wrong =) It can receieve now, but not send....says its unable to send mail using *my static IP*.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it....I just had to put in the ID and PW again in the next screen of the treo for the sending part =)

Thanks a ton!
    Last edited by damado26; 12/04/2003 at 07:29 PM.
    Treo 650
    Cingular
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    What if you don't have a static IP? I have SBC Yahoo DSL which is PPPoE so my IP changes periodically and it is dynamically assigned by SBC. I have a router attached to the DSL modem, and the router uses DHCP for my network, though that could be changed to assigned internal IPs for my computers.

Is there a way that the Treo can access e-mails with Hotmail Popper installed on one PC under this set of circumstances? I'm sure many others would have a similar issue with non-static IPs and routers.

On a related note, would software my WinHand on a Treo and GoToMyPC on a laptop work to access files on a computer on a home network like this?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by tjd414

I have mine setup through a bookmark. Use the following ... http:\\mobile.msn.com

Sign in w/user name and password. Hope that does the trick.

Also, please do a search first, as this has been covered in many threads ... Thanks
    (a) When I visit http://mobile.msn.com Hotmail is not one of the links listed. I don't know why; I remember seeing it on my Treo 300.

(b) I am able to get to my messages via this link: http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx however there is no "Log Out" link.

A search did not show any relevant info. Has anybody experienced this? Thanks.
    go to this address instead:
    mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx
    sorry didn't see your correct link.
    Originally posted by webslappy
    go to this address instead:
    mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx
    Yep, went there but I could not find a "Log Out" link to click on.
    Originally posted by Munir
    What if you don't have a static IP? I have SBC Yahoo DSL which is PPPoE so my IP changes periodically and it is dynamically assigned by SBC. I have a router attached to the DSL modem, and the router uses DHCP for my network, though that could be changed to assigned internal IPs for my computers.

Is there a way that the Treo can access e-mails with Hotmail Popper installed on one PC under this set of circumstances? I'm sure many others would have a similar issue with non-static IPs and routers.

Thanks.
    If you have a dynamic IP, look into dynamic DNS. Basically, you get an unchanging fully-qualified domain name that you can use to refer to your dynamic IP. You can install a program on your computer that automatically updates the IP address associated with the name, and on the Treo side, just use the FQDN instead of a hardwired IP address. Voila!
    I go to the link and a text screen pops up asking for my email address. when I put it in I can't get the text screen to disappear and log me in. This is just a recent problem as I have accessed it fine for at least the last couple of weeks. Suggestions?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thanks Cathartic, that's awesome.
    When I go to the link: http://mobile.msn..com/hm/folder.aspx I get a text enty box up that reads <Type your e-mail address>. When I type pstmstr1@msn.com and click ok, the text box won't go away nor will it allow me to cancel. This just started yesterday and was working fine for msn email prior to that. Can someone offer a solution?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast