Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Just speculating....if PalmOne starts making Treos in multiple form factors including a clamshell Treo. If the clamshell Treo was the same volume and width but slightly shorter and a bit thicker which model would you choose? (Lose the protruding antenna on both...)

Which form factor would sell more or would they sell about the same with each model?
    hmmmmm.

right now I would the clam shell, because the issues keygaurd brings to the table.

right now i'm not used to the small delay that keygaurd causes for me getting into the app i want.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I would go with the clamshell as well. Although the clamshell might be thicker, the form would eliminate the need for the keyguard as well as protective covers for the screen and keypad.
    Clamshell without a doubt! I bought a Samsung I-500 because I really do love that form factor. It's currently for sale on eBay because the Treo is a far superior device, but I do miss the pocketabilty of the I-500
    I think the clamshell would make a tighter form factor for the treo.

you could probably pack several more well-engineered features into the treo this way
    1. flash camera w/ much higher quality.
    2. keyguard issue would be addressed.
    3. more compact phone.
    4. one problem w/ the treo 600 is the placement of the microphone - listener's reception is not as crisp due to this-we could place the microphone back on the inside close the the user's mouth.
    5. more samsung like shape with higher resolution screen and color depth.

I think a clamshell form would be fantastic
    Okay, I'll be the first: candy bar! I like answering phones without having to open flip. To me flips always make the phone feel fragile.
    I can't decide if I want the Miami Vice style or the Zoolander style. No wait! I want the Treo 600 form factor! pa1mOne won't let me have that one, either...
    I have had both flip (Motorola StarTac, LG TM510, and for a very short time, a Kyocera 7135) and candy bar (Nokia, Kyocera 6035, Handspring Treo 600) phones.

I don't feel that the flip phone form factor offers enough screen protection as long as you still have to use a stylus. IMHO, scratches are caused by interaction between the stylus and whatever particulate may be on the screen. Even my non-pda flip phones got dusty screens from time to time.

Less stylus input means less chance to scratch the screen.

Facial oil still poses a problem, but the Treo 600 screen is bright enough to make the presence of oil and dust on the screen almost unnoticeable.

That is why I think the (candy bar) Treo 600 is the best by far!
    I had a i500 and I did not like to have to open the shell everytime I used the phone or PDA. There is also an issue of picture caller ID. IMHO the candy bar shape is definately the way to go.
    Originally posted by BD1
    Just speculating....if PalmOne starts making Treos in multiple form factors including a clamshell Treo. If the clamshell Treo was the same volume and width but slightly shorter and a bit thicker which model would you choose? (Lose the protruding antenna on both...)

Which form factor would sell more or would they sell about the same with each model?

Ask the hundreds (thousands?) of people who's flip-style Treo 270, 300 etc. broke which they would prefer.

Until Handspring proves they can SIGNIFICANTLY improve quality control, another Handspring flip phone would be asking for trouble.
    I hate to say this, clam shell - the keyguard issue is a pain and at times difficult to work around. The clam shell though needs to be constructed so as not to be prone to breaking. The Kyocera 6035 I had was a decent design - never had any problems with its cover. BUT, I like the small size - what a pain.

Ben

Originally posted by BD1

Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Ask the hundreds (thousands?) of people who's flip-style Treo 270, 300 etc. broke which they would prefer.

Until Handspring proves they can SIGNIFICANTLY improve quality control, another Handspring flip phone would be asking for trouble.
    I am one of those whose Treo 270 flip phone broke... and just as the Treo 600 was coming out (though I still don't have one because of the shipping delays). I'm not sure about the Treo 600, but I have to say that of the two types of phones, I prefer the candy bar style (I've used candy-bar style phones before I had the Treo 270 and during this period where I have no Treo).
    Both the clamshell style devices I've had over the years have eventually had some problem or other - my Psion 3c needed to be sent back for repair, and my Motorola V66 was starting to remain on after it was closed, draining the battery faster.

I have to admit to preferring the look of a clamshell, and I like the smaller device that you end up with, but until someone builds one which doesn't rely on a physical connection between the two halves - it is the moving parts which cause all the problems - I will probably stick with the bar style.

The main thing that I would like to see changed about the 600 design is the antenna. I have seen a number of phones with internal aerials, so why not this one? I would gladly loose the camera in exchange for an internal aerial.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I've broken THREE flips on Treo 300s. Piece of crap. The flip that is. Loved the rest of the phone. 'Til I got my 600, of course .
    While I realize that moving parts on an electronic device are always going to be the weakest part of the machine and the most likely to break, I'd still prefer some clamshell action over the candy bar option. (Are we really going to keep using those names for this stuff?) My favorite industrial design for portable devices right now has to be the Clie/Zarus flip and rotate clamshell/candy bar hybrid thingers. Them's some cool devices. ...Gonna break, sure, but they're pretty cool.

So, yeah -- I'll take one clam flavored candy bar Treo, please.
    Flip all the way. I find it much faster opening and closing the phone rather than feeling for a particular button to press to answer and hangup. Also, less keyguard or screen protection issues to worry about. Besides the poor sound quality, this is the second major reason I'm selling it.
    If it has to be a clamshell it should make better use of space than the 270 and 300 did and have the screen in one half and keyboard on the other (could lead to an even more compact device).

Otherwise I'm with the candybar design...
    In the words of the stoner from Super Troopers: CANDY BAR!

Always thought the flip lid on older Treos was floppy and awkward. I like how the candy bar feels on my ear, as opposed to the sharp edge of the flip lid. Plus, it feels a lot sturdier. Even in the best, sturdiest flip phones, you still have a moving component that's more prone to break than brick-style phones that don't have moving parts.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Candy Bar.

I was very skeptical of the design. I like the Treo 300 felt like a communicator from Star Trek yet the Treo 600 exceeds all of my expectations. It is so easy to use I don't know why anyone would want to go back to a flip design.

I stopped into a store today to play with phones. All of the flip designs are cumbersome when compared to the Treo 600. The ONLY one I saw that I liked was a SLIDE design that hid the keypad much like the Palm T2 hides the graffiti area. It is very innovative and a pleasure to use, even one handed. It was also very tiny and definitely the direction would consider was I not so enthralled by having a full keyboard.
    Last edited by kamalot; 12/04/2003 at 02:43 PM.
    I used to think I wanted a flip. I almost bought a i500, I waited months for it to come out. Thank god Samsung dropped the ball because by the time the i500 came out the t600 was only a month away. I prefer the candy bar style now. I don't want to have to open the lid everytime I want to view my schedule. People worry about the screen, but with a protector I haven't had a problem. I have always thought why put a case on something functional. It defeats the purpose if you have to spend 3 seconds taking it out and putting it back into a case. Also, there are less moving parts to break. The treo 600 feels far more solid than the i500 or kyo 7135 IMO. I used to think I don't care about games but after some games like gizmo, etc. on palm os5 I like the 5way control and the hard buttons. Try playing a game with the i500's buttons.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast