Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by BD1
    ...if PalmOne starts making Treos in multiple form factors including a clamshell Treo. If the clamshell Treo was the same volume and width but slightly shorter and a bit thicker which model would you choose?...

Which form factor would sell more...?

Candybar, by far.

Each form factor takes some getting used to, and has drawbacks.

But for me, whacking a button right in the middle of a bullseye to answer a call is a no brainer. And BTW, the keyguard is not even an issue when it comes to answering a call.

The biggest downside to the candybar form factor is that when push comes to shove, I believe you will need to protect the screen. The screen plate is way too thin, in my opinion (this, I can say after breaking my first one). Despite that downside, I would still choose candybar form.

While I liked flipping my Treo 300, my samsung 8500, and even my Kyocera smartphone when I had it, the hinge failure was always such a bummer, and frankly, flip phones just don't fit well between my ear and shoulder. So I'm sometimes stuck holding it up to my ear with one hand, scrambling for a headset, or squeezing it between my shoulder and ear, and hearing the hinge whisper to me "I'm about to crack!!" I've broken many a flip phone that way...including the flimsy Treo 300 which I literally had to bond together with epoxy for the last 2 months of its service. And I realized that the only reason my Samsung 8500 (a regular cell phone) lasted longer then the PDA phones was simply because it was smaller--there's not as much leverage for you to torque stresses onto the hinge. With a PDA-sized screen on a phone, youre always going to have fairly large-sized clamshells, and be able to torque large stresses onto the hinge. And the thinner you make them, the weaker they get. And forget about thick clamshells. Some of these normal phones are getting to be more than an inch thick, which I suppose can be built fairly sturdily for a small phone. But can you imagine a clamshell pda that is more than an inch thick, and still has a PDA-sized screen? It's going to be a brick! When it comes to anything I shove in my pocket--phones...mp3 players...cameras...thinness goes a long way.

Also, I really like the huge-*** battery they are able to squeeze into the candybar form. It runs practically the whole length of the phone. That kicks ***, because frankly, I'm down with Hawkins and Dubinsky when it comes to preserving long battery life. Phones that last less than 3 hours...come on...how useful is that? I want to be able to get an entire weekend of use out of this thing without having to think about a charger.
    jello
    If it were solely a phone? Clam.
    Phone and Palm? Candybar.
    I've used both form factors, for both types of devices, and to me, the fact that I need to look things up quickly and interact with the screen means that a clam slows me down (even when the 300 had a clear screen, which was their attempt at providing usability ALONG with a clam).
    If I were just using a phone, I'd likely go clam. But the interactiveness of the converged device, to a great extent, makes me prefer the candybar. Just faster.

Is one perfect over the other? Nope - everyone has different tastes and requirements.
    i'm surprised to hear that so many people need to use the keyguard. i've been using a T600 for over a month now with the keyguard off, and I haven't had a single issue yet.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Ask the hundreds (thousands?) of people who's flip-style Treo 270, 300 etc. broke which they would prefer.

Until Handspring proves they can SIGNIFICANTLY improve quality control, another Handspring flip phone would be asking for trouble.
    HEAR HEAR!!! I broke a 180, and 2 270's just from NORMAL use. I never dropped them, never abused them. The 180 speaker just "went out". The 270's both snapped at the hinge! Candy bar form factor all the way. I love my 600..........
    The main advantage of the clamshell design is the extra surface area. I would like to see a clamshell Treo that uses the extra space to:

1) On one side, I'd like to see as large a screen as possible, a la the new Motorola MPX200 (although with a 320x480 pixel screen, please)

(if you don't know the MPx200, here's a URL: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=315 )

2) On the other side put a thumbboard *and* a dedicated number pad.

I'm imagining something like leaving the thumbboard where it currently is on the Treo 270, and where the screen is now, put a number pad. And on the other side of the clamshell put the largish (hi-res) screen.

Yes, yes.. you're right the clamshell hinge has reliability problems, but Samsung seems to have solved this problem, at least for a 2 year old phone, at which point most of us early adopters upgrade anyhow...

-C
    Last edited by cccatl; 12/06/2003 at 12:29 PM.
    Originally posted by subimage

HEAR HEAR!!! I broke a 180, and 2 270's just from NORMAL use. I never dropped them, never abused them. The 180 speaker just "went out". The 270's both snapped at the hinge! Candy bar form factor all the way. I love my 600..........

As nice as those vaporware Samsung clamshell PalmOS PDA-phones look, if Handspring is able to get rid of the external antenna and then reduce the size + weight of the Treo 600 by about 20%, that would be perfection in my books.

Someone here recently posted some pictures of a pretty decent simulation of what such a phone would look like. It proves Handspring has a great basic design that just needs a little fine tuning. Reminds me of how right USR got it with the original Pilot design.
    I'm surprised that it took so many post before someone mentioned the external antenna. With this appendage the Treo 600 would have the perfect form factor, IMO.

I don't like having to open a phone just to use it, and I especially don't like doing it to look up things. I want direct access to the keys and the screen.

I've never been afraid of scratching the screen (no matter what HS says, I would never put the Treo in the same pocket with keys or coins), but the clamshell does win on keeping the screen clean, no doubt.
    One of the major reasons for choosing the i500 over the T600 was form factor and flip phone design. AND it can be very sturdy, unlike the Treo 300 series (just check out the review on The-Gadgeteer.com). I just don't like to get screen scratches, because I want this thing in my pocket, and not hanging off my belt. Feature set wise (other than screen and form factor) the Treo 600 wins hands down. However, it's not much different in size than a PDA, and there were many times my PDA stays at home, but my flip phone (originally a Samsung 8500) never left my pocket. Same goes for the i500.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    I'm surprised that it took so many post before someone mentioned the external antenna. With (sic) this appendage the Treo 600 would have the perfect form factor, IMO.
    Take a look at the middle two photos at the top here:

http://www.jakeehrlich.com/Review/Bu...oDashboard.htm

as well as the photo showing a standard Treo 600 without an external antenna but with a sliding 320 x 480 screen added.

While the guy who posted these designs has more than a few "issues", these mock ups show what the next Treo ideally should look like. With very minor tweaking of the current package we could have a very compact smartphone capable of replacing both a laptop and a regular cellphone.
    if u put in a rugged clamshell like the SE Z600 along with the 2d external screen for caller ID (ck out the NEC 525 offered by ATT) w/o sacrificing battery life, then u wd have a sweet clamshell!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12