Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so maybe this belongs on the Comms forum (oh, it's there too!) But there's so much discussion here about email clients anyway, I thought I'd chime in...

I want to take a moment to spell out exactly why YOU should be using IMAP, if you're not already and if it's a possibility for you.

Simply stated, IMAP is a near-perfect design for the mobile user (or any user who logs into his email account from different machines - e.g. at home, at work, on the Treo, from a notebook, etc...) The idea is that EVERYTHING is stored on the server (of course, you can copy anything locally), so that your Inbox (and other folders) look THE SAME EVERYWHERE you access them. No more deleting messages in three different places, no more frustration with the fact that message X is at home, but you need it at the office...

Having said that, I want to tell you where Chatter fits in. (It's a shameless promotion, but hey ... all $ are going to costs and charity.)

Chatter is NOT a "heavy" (i.e. full-fledged) IMAP client. What it DOES do, however, is have all new mail (going to your Inbox) PUSHed directly to your Treo, where you can 1) know it exists, 2) read a few hundred lines of it, and 3) reply to it (from Chatter or your other favored email client).

It's this KNOWING RIGHT AWAY that makes it so darned useful, in my humble opinion (and why integrating IMAP and IM is such a natural thing - it's all about getting messages FAST.) No need to have scheduled polling of your email (via SnapperMail or TreoMail) tying up your Treo. What's more, all of Chatter's email discovery and loading is done BEHIND YOUR BACK (meaning that it doesn't interrupt your other Treo use), and eMail alerts are provided whether you are inside Chatter or not, and whether the Treo is asleep or not.

And with the latest Beta release (1.0.4b14), you can even have message deletions propagate back to the IMAP server (as an option). [Note: Beta releases aren't for everyone.]

Perhaps best of all, getting IMAP email is easy. Possibly you have it already as an option (most people don't realize it). And if you don't, you can get a FREE IMAP account at www.fastmail.fm (my preferred IMAP vendor) which you can use to "play around". (If you want lots of storage space or if you want to use their SMTP service, there is a very reasonable yearly charge.)

Marc

p.s. I am NOT affiliated with the fastmail people, although I know them to be good folks.
    P.S. You can find Chatter, the fine product mentioned above at http://www.imchatter.com
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, beergeek. I guess I forgot that...
    How is IMAP any different from Webmail -- like Yahoo or something of the sort.

I've always thought that the advantage of POP3 was that I can have my email on my machine rather than on the server, so I can still access it when I'm not connected.
  5.    #5  
    Great question, actually...

IMAP is a standard PROTOCOL (i.e. method of accessing mail), just like POP3 (which is the most common protocol, but VERY old and clunky).

Just about every desktop email client can access IMAP email, meaning that you can use it with Outlook, Outlook Express, etc...

With a service like fastmail, there is ALSO the ability to access your mail via a "webmail" interface ("webmail" is simply a term used for a method of accessing mail via a web page).

Does that help?

Marc
  6.    #6  
    Another point, jaginger -

IMAP clients cache messages locally, so you can still choose to view them offline, or move/copy them to local storage.

When connected to the server, messages are automatically "sync"ed so that the server and connected clients all see the same thing.

Marc
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jaginger
    How is IMAP any different from Webmail -- like Yahoo or something of the sort.

I've always thought that the advantage of POP3 was that I can have my email on my machine rather than on the server, so I can still access it when I'm not connected.
    Well, I'll jump in here. What Marc really means is that the server is the "master" account. Not that you are actually reading from the server live when you get your IMAP mail per se (although there are some IMAP programs - like PapiMail the last time I checked that really do mean "connected IMAP").

What Chatter, and "most" other IMAP programs do is give you a "disconnected" copy of the mail on your Treo, but it is linked back to your "master" mailbox. So, when you delete the message on the Treo, it deletes on the master. With more advanced IMAP programs, like VersaMail, Basejet, 2bAnywhere, etc., the theory is that it works the other way as well - i.e., when you delete it on the master, it will delete on the Treo when you next ask the IMAP program to "sync" the folders.

Another thing that IMAP can do (depending on the client again) is "post" a copy of your sent items back into your master mailbox. So, when you send a message from the Treo, later when you are sitting at your desk and look in the outbox, there the message is! I don't know if Chatter can do that or not.

Anyway, POP3 has always been "intended" for the downloading client (in this case your Treo) to be the master, so there isn't any synchronization built in. If you have a pop client at home, on your Treo, and read your mail through WebMail, you almost certainly have 3 mailboxes that contain only bits and pieces of what you want. With IMAP, ideally every email client you use anywhere (desktop, phone, webmail) will show you the exact same things.

And finally, you can tell IMAP which folders you want to sync - so I have mailing lists, and various sundry stuff moved out of my mailbox with rules, and only have the IMAP client download certain folders (but I'm a packrat and I receive probaby 100 valid emails a day) <g>.

Danita
    This all sounds good but does IMAP and any of the previously mentioned clients offer anything above/better than, say, Sprint's BC software (always looking for the best solution possible).

Let me first preface this by saying that I realize some people cannot afford to leave their laptop behind running as a mail server but since that is not a problem for me, I will not concern myself with it. So with BC, I simply run the program in the background and all my email is pushed/pulled to my T600. Any change I make on the T600 (deleting/sending email) is automatically reflected in the appropriate folder on my desktop Outlook. Since I have Outlook check multiple accounts and deliver them all to the same inbox, all of my email gets pushed/pulled to the T600, no need to switch accounts in order to check for new messages. I can also access my Outlook inbox and all its subfolders, calendar, contacts, and documents I have previously selected I want access to from just about any computer with web access thanks to the BC webmail like interface. The only thing I wish BC had was better support for attachments on the T600 (attachment support via the webmail interface is fine). For attachments I use Dataviz's Inbox-To-Go Wireless, which supports attachments via the Docs-To-Go software suite. All in all, I find BC a very powerful tool but am always willing to try other programs provided they have the promise to offer more functionality than what I am currently using. So will running the IMAP protocol (currently using POP but IMAP support is available) in combination with any of the previously mentioned clients give me a better solution than what I cuurently have now?
    IMHO, Sprint's implementation of IMAP for BC sucks.

My domain is hosted on a linux server, so all my mail folders are in a subdirectory within my home directory (mail). So in the BC settings, I tell it that my root mail folder is mail, and while it lists all of my mail folders there, it shows no message counts, gives an error when I try to open them, and doesn't show my inbox.

If I don't put a mail folder, I see my inbox, but also all the various preferences files (files that begin with a . ) for my shell, spam filter, mail processor, etc. in my home directory. Totally useless.

Even Outlook 2003's IMAP implementation surpasses this! And this is a Microsoft product that works well with IMAP, a direct competitor to Exchange!

Sprint needs to fix their IMAP setup, IMHO... If it worked properly, like both Outlook and the webmail client I use, Biz Conn would be all I'd use for email on the go - work and personal email in a single program.

- Mike
    Last edited by mikev; 12/03/2003 at 10:32 PM.
    ugh. accidentally quoted my prev. post instead of editing it. Someone delete this.
    when I last tried it, it was marking all of my messages read, so I turned it off. I love the idea of chatter, and the technology, but I find the interface extremely annoying - it is different for the sake of being different, not because it's better.

I want a regular buddy list, and for it to be more clear whether I"m online or not.

Also, when I am away and it disconnects and reconnects, I am no longer away.

Ty
  12.    #12  
    ty -

Chatter no longer "reads" your email (starting in the current Beta release) so at least one of your concerns has been addressed...

I do take exception to your comment that the interface is different for the sake of being different. It's different, for the most part, because the application itself is "different". (BTW, if you're referring to Chatter on the T270/T300, the interface is VERY, VERY different now).

Regarding IM-style buddy lists, well ... that wasn't what I was going for. If what you're looking for is a pc-style IM program, then Verichat is your man.

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 12/04/2003 at 12:04 AM.
    IMAP is just as worthless as POP3 as far as real time connected email is concerned. What you really want is MAPI connectivity back to your exchange or Notes server. This gives you Calendaring, Email, Contacts, Tasks all realtime and in sync everywhere. The Goodlink software for the Treo and Exchange work wonderfully.
    Sorry if this has been covered, before, but I couldn't find it.

For what kind of messaging does IMChatter use SMS for?

The reason that I ask, is because my service is through T-Mo and I pay for 300/messages per month. If IM Chatter is going to eat through this then I'm going to have to pass on the IM options.

I am assuming that it's a TCP/IP-based chatting solution but I just wanted to clarify before I went ahead and tried it and all ...
    Chatter does not use SMS (that's Verichat). Chatter is 100% TCP/IP.
    Thanks for the reply! I'm going to try it out as soon as my e-mail with my username, etc arrives! =)
    Marc (or anyone else)

I have an email account that can be accessed usung POP or IMAP. Last night I was playing around with your program and set it up on my Treo and it showed the little green envelope on the screen. I currently have the email (same address) set up on my laptop and desktop as POP. After activating chatter, when I went to my laptop to check mail (via POP3) it wouldn't let the program access it, saying the server was busy. When I disengaged Chatter I was able to access my account from my Laptop again. Do I need to change ALL my email programs to IMAP if I'm going to use chatter? Will chatter STILL tie me up at other sites if I have it active?

One more thing....I get so much SPAM (100 emails a day) I use Spam Interceptor. Will Chatter work OK with this service?

Thanks.
    Mike
    Originally posted by wiredmeyer
    IMAP is just as worthless as POP3 as far as real time connected email is concerned. What you really want is MAPI connectivity back to your exchange or Notes server. This gives you Calendaring, Email, Contacts, Tasks all realtime and in sync everywhere. The Goodlink software for the Treo and Exchange work wonderfully.
    Actually, this is untrue. Many IMAP servers have the capability of real-time e-mail communication. I found this out the hard way (turns out Chatter doesn't support my IMAP server), there is a command called IDLE which lets the client remain connected to the server. As soon as an e-mail comes in, it notifies the client, which can then notify you.

/still ticked that .Mac doesn't support IDLE...
  19.    #19  
    There's always fastmail.fm (maybe we need some sort of Email Portability law...)

Marc
    Originally posted by wiredmeyer
    Resurrecting old threads here...For a large part MAPI seems to be closed and not an Publically available thing like IMAP. It's why Outlook is the killer app for Exchange because Microsoft doesn't publsh the communication details.

But back on topic and why I found this thread, I am looking for that Elusive IMAP with Attachments (and SSL would be nice but not a deal breaker). Looks like VersaMail might be the best option?

I use Chatter with IMAP for probably 90% of my emails, just occasionally need to read the whole mail or deal with attachments. And send attachments for mobile bloging
    Pete
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast