Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How is possible , if possible, to transfer all the data contacts (name and phone number) to the SIM?
    I don't find any that permits this on TREO 600.
    I was in a panic today when I had a Treo at my office (I sync at home) and I couldn't find an option to copy contacts from my SIM. They've made this easier (and you probably already found out by now) - when you go to contacts the first time it will say that there are contacts on your SIM and would you like to copy them to the Treo.
    Originally posted by esperantisto
    I was in a panic today when I had a Treo at my office (I sync at home) and I couldn't find an option to copy contacts from my SIM. They've made this easier (and you probably already found out by now) - when you go to contacts the first time it will say that there are contacts on your SIM and would you like to copy them to the Treo.
    I think the original question was about copying contacts TO the SIM, not from it. I haven't been able to find a way to do it. My Orange Treo 600 comes with a SIM Book app, but all this allows you to do is manually add entries to the SIM, not import them from Contacts.

BTW, for those wanting to transfer contacts FROM a SIM card if you have already created contacts manually, display the contacts, and pick 'Import from SIM' from the Record menu.
    At least with the old Treos you could copy from the favourites screen to the SIM.
    doh! Nevermind...
    I noticed that one has to manually enter info using the SIM book program. For smartphones, this is something I am surprised not available with the T600. Or is there a way that I haven't just discovered? Pls. advise.
  7. lam
    I've seen many ppl asking this question but no answer at all. Apparently the simbook software on the phone is a worthless piece of junk. No import function and can't edit entries and name. Until now , I still can't manage to find a software that can access the sim card AT ALL !!!

What I did is put my sim card on a nokia phone , use a software called funbook on my treo and transfer the database to my sim card. I know it is stupid , but that's the easiet way.

Yes , I KNOW that the phone can store lots of name and contacts so who cares about the sim card ? I have multiple phone and really hope that I can put the sim card on any phone with at least some limited numbers of contacts/names. Something like a weekend phone or a extreme outdoor phone ?
    I as well am dealing with this problem. I ride sportbikes, and there is no way I'm putting my T600 in a hot set of leathers in the summertime.

What I did, was keep my old Sony Ericsson T316 to use as a second phone, which has infared on it. I just beam my contacts, and use the T316 to copy to Sim.

If anyone has a software solution please advise! Granted, in my situation I will be swapping back and forth from devices anyway.
  9. lam
    Yup , I fully understand your situation. Who wants to break such an expensive phone ? The tedious part is when a new contact is added to my database, I need to remove the SIM and put it onto another phone to add the entry.

I'll definitely pay for such software !
    The sim book in my 270 had a way to import phone numbers that were in your speed dial into the sim card but I haven't even found that in my 600.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
  11. lam
    So is it possible to copy the simbook software from your 270 and try it on the t600 ? or maybe it will suffer imcompatibility due to OS version ? not sure which version of OS 270 is using though !
    I can try it when I get home but I doubt it will work. The 270 was using something like Palm OS 3.4.2 or something like that. I really don't remember.
    Steve Lineberry

Cingular GSM
    Treo 600
    Treo 270
    A friends Treo 600 died and so she had to use a normal phone whilst it's being repaired, how do I copy her adress book to the SIM so she has her contacts while she waits for her Treo to be repaired? It's a standard function on normal cell phones (copy contacts to and from SIM) but I can't work out how to do it on the Treo, can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Hello Expat,

Kevin from palmOne here. Unfortunately, it's not possible to export numbers from the Contacts list to the SIM card. There may be third-party software that can do this. In a pinch, it *can* be done manually. Information on the procedure can be found at http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=30232

Sincerely
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    So how are people meant to transfere to a normal phone without re-entering all their data, it's a standard feature on existing SIM based phones even the cheapest ones.
    ...yes but a "cheap" phone does not hold 1000's of contacts... a SIM card can only hold so many so there is no reason to want to copy an entire contacts Palm DB to a SIM. I'm sure Palm1 et al thought of it but it would be a pointless 'feature'.

You can add some manually (using SIM Book app in your Treo) but it's really only intended for a few contacts as it's a completely manual process.

Personally, I've never stored numbers on a SIM, even on 'regular' cell-phones... it might be convenient when swapping phones but there is a question of security.
    www.gsmworld.com
    if you find a third party software, please inform us of it..

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nzmoko
    ...yes but a "cheap" phone does not hold 1000's of contacts... a SIM card can only hold so many so there is no reason to want to copy an entire contacts Palm DB to a SIM. I'm sure Palm1 et al thought of it but it would be a pointless 'feature'.

You can add some manually (using SIM Book app in your Treo) but it's really only intended for a few contacts as it's a completely manual process.

Personally, I've never stored numbers on a SIM, even on 'regular' cell-phones... it might be convenient when swapping phones but there is a question of security.
    With all due respect (and I respect your POV,) this is BS. First one of my nokia phones hold 500 contacts and allows you to copy OR move contacts back and forth from RAM to SIM. The RAM phonebook hold many numbers per contact and the software is smart enough to separate each number into a separate contact for the SIM (sim's storage is more rudimentary.) It works as well as expected.

If there were such and app, it could list your phone numbers and allow you to go down the list and check mark each contact and then move all of the checked contacts to the SIM. In addition or instead, it should allow you to move a complete category to the SIM, this way if yoiu have a category of say 80 contacts, it will only copy those over.

This is just one of the basic phone features this "smart" phone doesn't have that most GSM phone do, and is further evidence that this is a PDA with a phone added on, rather than a phone that is smart (or a phone with a PDA added on.)
    I was quite frustrated when I found out you can not copy contacts from the address book to the sim in any way, all you can do is manually enter them.

Add to this list (of phone features that this thing Should have) :
    1-I'm unable to change the voice mail number in the SIM. I have to put the sim in to another phone (nokia or samsung) to change this.
    2-The treo does not get the time from the GSM network, all other GSM phones that I've used do this.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Treo600. But clearly SIM and GSM functionality lacks in some minor ways. Maybe this was initially engineered with CDMA in mind? I don't know. But I would love it if someone had an app that would allow copying multiple contacts to a SIM.
    I have plenty of reasons why it's useful (namely I want to use my SIM in another phone.)
    Another thing. My old StarTAC phone used to do a killer job holding up the back right hand corner of my couch which lost it's leg. It was just the right height, I wish my Treo could do that, I don't think it's strong or thick enough, could you fix that please.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    With all due respect (and I respect your POV,) this is BS. First one of my nokia phones hold 500 contacts and allows you to copy OR move contacts back and forth from RAM to SIM. The RAM phonebook hold many numbers per contact and the software is smart enough to separate each number into a separate contact for the SIM (sim's storage is more rudimentary.) It works as well as expected.

If there were such and app, it could list your phone numbers and allow you to go down the list and check mark each contact and then move all of the checked contacts to the SIM. In addition or instead, it should allow you to move a complete category to the SIM, this way if yoiu have a category of say 80 contacts, it will only copy those over.

This is just one of the basic phone features this "smart" phone doesn't have that most GSM phone do, and is further evidence that this is a PDA with a phone added on, rather than a phone that is smart (or a phone with a PDA added on.)
    I was quite frustrated when I found out you can not copy contacts from the address book to the sim in any way, all you can do is manually enter them.

Add to this list (of phone features that this thing Should have) :
    1-I'm unable to change the voice mail number in the SIM. I have to put the sim in to another phone (nokia or samsung) to change this.
    2-The treo does not get the time from the GSM network, all other GSM phones that I've used do this.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Treo600. But clearly SIM and GSM functionality lacks in some minor ways. Maybe this was initially engineered with CDMA in mind? I don't know. But I would love it if someone had an app that would allow copying multiple contacts to a SIM.
    I have plenty of reasons why it's useful (namely I want to use my SIM in another phone.)
    Exactly, this is the concern I have, transfering contacts via the SIM is the easiest way to move between phones, my friend now has to guess at the number displayed on her fill-in cell phone whilst she waits for her Treo to be repaird. On the security front I don't agree, if someone has my SIM I'm much more worried about all the international phone calls they will make than them looking at my phone book.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast